Zion's mother was paid by Nike for him to go to Duke?

Has anyone ever seen a top recruit sign with a Nike school then once they go pro, sign with Adidas or vice versa?

Dude said Nike paid for Ayton to go to Arizona, yet Ayton signs w Puma after AZ. Brandon Ingram signed w Adidas after Duke. Bagley signed w Puma after Duke. Harrison Barnes signed w Adidas after UNC. Lol. I see Nike’s “influence” ain’t that great.

The allegations make zero sense b/c Zion’s other school choices were Clemson and UNC, both Nike schools. Plus, they got ole boy on tape trying to extort Nike out of money. Nike is the biggest appearal company in the world. Why in tf would they need to pay a kid to go a school when they sign kids from rival schools all the time or wait for a rookie’s shoe contract to end b4 snatching them up?

Advertisement
But you know the profession giving them a run for their money lately; Scientists

Really?? How ??

Now if you'd say Sportscasters yeah ......most science I know of is based on well tested, independently reviewed by experts & peers, with repeatable results, proven facts.....or it isn't considered science

Don't confuse science with theories or conjecture

Last edited:
Why in tf would they need to pay a kid to go a school when they sign kids from rival schools all the time or wait for a rookie’s shoe contract to end b4 snatching them up?

Easily.

Something like this is not conceived at the Board of Directors meetings. Large companies have “silos” with distinct areas of responsibilities and little overlap other than a hierarchical upstream reporting structure. In other words, the department in charge of AAU relations operates as a silo, along with many other silos, in the company.

So there are silos in charge of store sales, silos in charge of real estate acquisition, there’s the Human Resources (personnel) silo, the online sales silo, the IT silo (which has a matrix relationship with online sales)...each silo reports to its “head person(s)” through hierarchy, who in turn report up to higher authorities, eventually funneling to a top management team made up of the officers of the company, i.e., CEO, CFO, CCO, etc etc. These officers, mainly the CEO and CFO “report” to the board of directors.

You can have a few corrupt individuals running a payoff scheme at Nike without company officers being aware or approving an operation. It doesn’t excuse these officers of their responsibilities as officers of the company that something like like this happened during their watch, as they would have obviously failed in their oversight responsibility, but it can easily happen. It’s more or less the way it happened with Adidas.

Additionally even though this lawyer is a scumbag, he has some pretty compelling proof regarding payments to recruit families. Including made up invoices by the families/Nike personnel that were making the payoffs. They don’t have anything specifically on Zion yet, the evidence hasn’t been published on him yet, but there’s evidence with other players.

It’s looking right now as if there is little doubt that employees at Nike (I believe mainly associated with their AAU operation) were facilitating payments to around at least 3 or more athletes families in the last 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Really?? How ??

Now if you'd say Sportscasters yeah ......most science I know of is based on well tested, independently reviewed by experts & peers, with repeatable results, proven facts.....or it isn't considered science

Don't confuse science with theories or conjecture

Like lawyers, whatever you find one to say, you can find another to say the exact opposite - usually depnding on who funds their research. Health Industry, Coming Ice Age/Global warming, Red Tide Research, etc.

Advertisement
Easily.

Something like this is not conceived at the Board of Directors meetings. Large companies have “silos” with distinct areas of responsibilities and little overlap other than a hierarchical upstream reporting structure. In other words, the department in charge of AAU relations operates as a silo, along with many other silos, in the company.

So there are silos in charge of store sales, silos in charge of real estate acquisition, there’s the Human Resources (personnel) silo, the online sales silo, the IT silo (which has a matrix relationship with online sales)...each silo reports to its “head person(s)” through hierarchy, who in turn report up to higher authorities, eventually funneling to a top management team made up of the officers of the company, i.e., CEO, CFO, CCO, etc etc. These officers, mainly the CEO and CFO “report” to the board of directors.

You can have a few corrupt individuals running a payoff scheme at Nike without company officers being aware or approving an operation. It doesn’t excuse these officers of their responsibilities as officers of the company that something like like this happened during their watch, as they would have obviously failed in their oversight responsibility, but it can easily happen. It’s more or less the way it happened with Adidas.

Additionally even though this lawyer is a scumbag, he has some pretty compelling proof regarding payments to recruit families. Including made up invoices by the families/Nike personnel that were making the payoffs. They don’t have anything specifically on Zion yet, the evidence hasn’t been published on him yet, but there’s evidence with other players.

It’s looking right now as if there is little doubt that employees at Nike (I believe mainly associated with their AAU operation) were facilitating payments to around at least 3 or more athletes families in the last 2-3 years.

I would agree w this premise if that meant these payments secured the players endorsements rights when they turned pro. Nike sponsors more schools than any appearal by a large margin, so y lure a kid to go here or there? Most of the powerhouse schools are Nike branded. Plus, these alleged “investments” are not being returned.

Kansas players r signing w Adidas out of school. ALL OF THEM.

Like lawyers, whatever you find one to say, you can find another to say the exact opposite - usually depnding on who funds their research. Health Industry, Coming Ice Age/Global warming, Red Tide Research, etc.
That “science” is not peer reviewed blind etc etc.

I would agree w this premise if that meant these payments secured the players endorsements rights when they turned pro. Nike sponsors more schools than any appearal by a large margin, so y lure a kid to go here or there? Most of the powerhouse schools are Nike branded. Plus, these alleged “investments” are not being returned.

Kansas players r signing w Adidas out of school. ALL OF THEM.

It’s pretty much not a premise in terms of the way large corporations are structured, including Nike. Additionally, there’s already sufficient evidence to highly suspect that Nike employees were facilitating payments from their coffers, i.e. budgets, to recruits’ families.

As far as the alleged “investment“ not being returned, that’s your outside view. There are several reasons why ROI as you have defined it is not relevant and not exculpatory.

First, if an athlete decides to sign with another shoe company there is no recourse for Nike. It’s not a mafia loan where people fear repaying in kind. Nike (and/or the culpable employees) have no way to “punish“ the athlete. They just have to take the hit and shut up.

Also, the amounts in question are so small in terms of the operating revenue of a company like Nike, a few hundred thousand dollars each to dozens of athletes or many dozens of athletes families, is a tiny little blip on their balance sheet.

The endgame for them is hitting on the one or two big players each season that will give them a much greater ROI. Every basketball draft, there’s only going to be one or two, or a very few players that are going to create enough notoriety that you want them as part of your shoe contract. Nike signs more than a few after every draft. Not all hit it big, but the hope is that you get those one siding to you that will move shoes sales. Who are the big Nike whales that are playing right now? LeBron, KD, KI, and just a few others. Those few players are worth hundreds of millions to them in sales.

You throw the money around to create the goodwill and then you hope that you created enough of it that that you get enough heavy hitter potential each draft, along with other inducements, that want to sign with Nike. See what I’m saying?

There’s other reasons. But right off the top of my head, that’s my rationale.

Advertisement
This sure doesn't read like a denial.

"Nike will not respond to the allegations of an individual facing federal charges of fraud and extortion and aid in his disgraceful attempts to distract from the athletes on the court at the height of the tournament," a Nike spokesperson told CNBC in a statement in response to Avenatti's tweets. "Nike will continue its cooperation with the government's investigation into grassroots basketball and the related extortion case."

Dude said Nike paid for Ayton to go to Arizona, yet Ayton signs w Puma after AZ. Brandon Ingram signed w Adidas after Duke. Bagley signed w Puma after Duke. Harrison Barnes signed w Adidas after UNC. Lol. I see Nike’s “influence” ain’t that great.

The allegations make zero sense b/c Zion’s other school choices were Clemson and UNC, both Nike schools. Plus, they got ole boy on tape trying to extort Nike out of money. Nike is the biggest appearal company in the world. Why in tf would they need to pay a kid to go a school when they sign kids from rival schools all the time or wait for a rookie’s shoe contract to end b4 snatching them up?

There is no doubt the apparel companies bid on players. Sometimes it's for a player to promise to sign once they leave college but a lot of it is for that player to showcase their brand at the college level. The bidding wars even happen on the AAU level. Brian Bowen played for an Adidas circuit only bc Adidas outbid Nike. Zion definitely got paid at every level of his recruitment, whether that can be proven or not is another story.

Real science doesn’t work that way.

Of course you can get a jury of peers unschooled in science to believe anything from an “expert”. They usually have no way to distinguish fact from theory. Probabilities from certainty.

Don’t confuse paid “experts“ with the dissemination of true science. Less than 1% of the population even understand the basic immutable tenets of science and the scientific method.

There is no doubt the apparel companies bid on players. Sometimes it's for a player to promise to sign once they leave college but a lot of it is for that player to showcase their brand at the college level. The bidding wars even happen on the AAU level. Brian Bowen played for an Adidas circuit only bc Adidas outbid Nike. Zion definitely got paid at every level of his recruitment, whether that can be proven or not is another story.

I agree, and that’s not the point I’m arguing. I never said anything about Nike not paying. I said why would Nike pay for Zion to go to Duke, when his other choices were Nike schools?? Merchandise sales were going to be merchandise sales. Zion’s top 5 were Clemson, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina & Kansas w many thinking Clemson or UNC would be the choice. So of what benefit would Nike outbid itself?? Furthermore, they got this lawyer trying to extort Nike saying if u don’t pay me & my client, then I’ll air your dirty business. Get the fck outta here. I said the same chit about Shapiro too.

Advertisement

While true ...only one side is correct.

Those are the Scientists .....the other side is a bought mouthpiece NOT a scientist.

There are ways that intelligent people can easily tell the difference.

Scientists deal with ALL the facts. They don't cherry pick one or two to promote a side whenever it suits the need put $$ in their pocket.

Scientists don't have a side.

Last edited:
It’s pretty much not a premise in terms of the way large corporations are structured, including Nike. Additionally, there’s already sufficient evidence to highly suspect that Nike employees were facilitating payments from their coffers, i.e. budgets, to recruits’ families.

As far as the alleged “investment“ not being returned, that’s your outside view. There are several reasons why ROI as you have defined it is not relevant and not exculpatory.

First, if an athlete decides to sign with another shoe company there is no recourse for Nike. It’s not a mafia loan where people fear repaying in kind. Nike (and/or the culpable employees) have no way to “punish“ the athlete. They just have to take the hit and shut up.

Also, the amounts in question are so small in terms of the operating revenue of a company like Nike, a few hundred thousand dollars each to dozens of athletes or many dozens of athletes families, is a tiny little blip on their balance sheet.

The endgame for them is hitting on the one or two big players each season that will give them a much greater ROI. Every basketball draft, there’s only going to be one or two, or a very few players that are going to create enough notoriety that you want them as part of your shoe contract. Nike signs more than a few after every draft. Not all hit it big, but the hope is that you get those one siding to you that will move shoes sales. Who are the big Nike whales that are playing right now? LeBron, KD, KI, and just a few others. Those few players are worth hundreds of millions to them in sales.

You throw the money around to create the goodwill and then you hope that you created enough of it that that you get enough heavy hitter potential each draft, along with other inducements, that want to sign with Nike. See what I’m saying?

There’s other reasons. But right off the top of my head, that’s my rationale.

LBJ went to an Adidas sponsored High School, he never played college. Nike simply outbidded Adidas, and this was during the time that Adidas was on the low.

Here’s my point, and I understand ur rationale, but here’s my point...Nike is on top of the appearal business and I’m not naive to think they haven’t had employees play dirty. If Nike is the biggest sponsor for college teams, w most of their teams hoisting up the big trophy year in and year out, and if a recruit is considering one of their brand affiliate schools, what’s the end game of luring them to a different school?

We’re not talking Zion considering Kansas; we’re talking Zion considering UNC and Clemson, so of what benefit is it for Nike to pay for him to go to another Nike sponsored school? That’s my point. If Zion was all Kansas or all Louisville or all Miami, I wouldn’t be asking this or counter arguing. He was considering two Nike schools and one being a Jordan Brand, so why pay so he wouldn’t go?

I agree, and that’s not the point I’m arguing. I never said anything about Nike not paying. I said why would Nike pay for Zion to go to Duke, when his other choices were Nike schools?? Merchandise sales were going to be merchandise sales. Zion’s top 5 were Clemson, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina & Kansas w many thinking Clemson or UNC would be the choice. So of what benefit would Nike outbid itself?? Furthermore, they got this lawyer trying to extort Nike saying if u don’t pay me & my client, then I’ll air your dirty business. Get the fck outta here. I said the same chit about Shapiro too.

It's all really the same money that these scho

A lot of factors come into play. Would Zion have gotten the exposure be did if he would have went to any other school other than Kentucky? Probably not. Then u have to think about connections between the three parties, that too is a factor on where a kid chooses to play.

At the end of the day some of the money is coming from these hundreds of million dollar apparel deals, directly or indirectly.

Advertisement
It's all really the same money that these scho

A lot of factors come into play. Would Zion have gotten the exposure be did if he would have went to any other school other than Kentucky? Probably not. Then u have to think about connections between the three parties, that too is a factor on where a kid chooses to play.

At the end of the day some of the money is coming from these hundreds of million dollar apparel deals, directly or indirectly.

UNC? Absolutely. Clemson, not so much. But then again, with the success of their football program who knows?

I know these guys are paying. I have boys who were once upon a time straight out of HS to the pros that played on the AAU circuit, all of sudden pulling up in Navigators and they were from the hood. Yes, I know this 1st hand.

This is regarding the allegation from a sleeze ball attorney like we just had a sleeze ball Ponzi Schemer trying to retaliate b/c they didn’t get what they wanted. While I think some claims r true, I also think they are grossly exaggerated. We wouldn’t even know dude if it wasn’t for him defending a hoe, lets keep it real, but now all of sudden he’s got the inside juice??

This was his come up act, and personally I’m sick of it. After seeing what we went through w Shapiro, I’m tired of seeing these scumbags take something and add 10 to it to vindicate their accusations, and then when u peel back the layers, u’ll find that it wasn’t that egregious as they made it appear. If u got evidence then expose it; provide the receipts But to go ahead & try to extort and then come up w unsubstantiated claims is getting tiresome. Appearal companies are in a war that we’ve never seen b4, but we all know boosters r the ones that r really paying.

Last edited:
UNC? Absolutely. Clemson, not so much. But then again, with the success of their football program who knows?

I know these guys are paying. I have boys who are were once upon a time straight out of HS to the pros that played on the AAU circuit, all of sudden pulling up in Navigators and they were from the hood. Yes, I know this 1st hand.

This is regarding the allegation from a sleeze ball attorney like we just had a sleeze ball Ponzi Schemer trying to retaliate b/c they didn’t get what they wanted. While I think some claims r true, I also think they are grossly exaggerated. We wouldn’t even know dude if it wasn’t for him defending a hoe, lets keep it real, but now all of sudden he’s got the inside juice??

This was his come up act, and personally I’m sick of it. After seeing what we went through w Shapiro, I’m tired of seeing these scumbags take something and add 10 to it to vindicate their accusations, and then when u peel back the layers, u’ll find that it wasn’t that egregious as they made it appear. If u got evidence then expose it; provide the receipts But to go ahead & try to extort and then come up w unsubstantiated claims is getting tiresome. Appearal companies are in a war that we’ve never seen b4, but we all know boosters r the ones that r really paying.

I'm not too informed about the case with the lawyer but I do know how some things can be exaggerated, especially if someone gets scorned in a business deal. That's why this whole amateurism in college is a joke at this point.

I wouldn't even count UNC bc the Jordan brand is taking a percentage off top. We are just debating pennies at that point though.

I'm not too informed about the case with the lawyer but I do know how some things can be exaggerated, especially if someone gets scorned in a business deal. That's why this whole amateurism in college is a joke at this point.

I wouldn't even count UNC bc the Jordan brand is taking a percentage off top. We are just debating pennies at that point though.

True that.

@Rellyrell All of that is solid …

But Nike has a history of not even reprimanding employees who would’ve been fired elsewhere.

In track and field, Global Director John Capriotti (he’s a HUGE F’N deal in T&F; has the IAAF prez on the payroll, and “OWNS” USATF) threatened to kill a coach (yes, there were witnesses)

Capriotti’s second in command assaulted and permanently disfigured a massage therapist

I like Cap and Llewelyn … but Nike has a serious G code that other public companies wouldn’t tolerate.

I say all that to say, yes, it wouldn’t shock me if Nike was trying to influence Zion … and it wouldn’t bother me a bit. Close the deal.

Ay; maybe that’s what we’re missing! Adidas got us to get rid of Al Golden, but maybe we need those extra benefits from them too!! Who knows; since we were Nike’s first baby, maybe they helped us, too; to make sure that appearal deal took off. Maybe we need that influence again. Lol!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back