Zion Nelson

Zion needs to take an extended vacation to Mexico and eat some of those Canelo Alvarez tacos. Dude will hulk up quick.

Advertisement
Don't think he starts next year, he was a Barry favorite and Barry aint here. he was the lowest rated tackle in div 1 last year .... I think someone steps up (maybe Campbell) and takes his place. jmo
Do buy madden the video game every year and think its the newest and best thing to ever be made in the history of - E/A the video game company too?
I think he has the tools to be good.

No way he should have been thrown to the wolves this past year but it was not normal circumstances.
Reading other texts of yours. At least you have common sense too; I remember just last summer [2019] this website the majority was all having a temper tantrum about being just a / three star high school student athlete. But after putting on around forty extra pounds in just a couple (Two) months after obviously not playing at his new weight his entire high school career [I'm just assuming / Maybe a a twitter stalker can dig in]. The majority again were acknowledging for almost every offensive linemen entering the ncaa; Except for the few including the "Five Stars" it takes anywhere from, two to three years to adjust to the college game - regardless of the high school status.

I'm calling it now he will be one of the most improved players for 2020. I'm saying it now because another year with coach feeley will do wonders plus we have a legit O-Line coach.

But the biggest reason I'm saying this now because he will get absolutely WORKED in practice going up against these phenom cyborg DEs in practice with Rossaue, Roche, Phillips, and Harvey every day. Boys we are fortunate to have these horses out there.

I'll bite. You set the bar ankle high - so I'll agree!

I felt bad for the kid - he wasn't ready - not by a damned sight - and was thrown into the arena.

True freshmen linemen that excel are rare as Golden's wins against Clemson.

Advertisement
He's got a lot of heart going out there ever game trying to get better after being forced too early he's just got to keep gaining strength and work on the fundamentals with coach Justice

I think we need a Grad Transfer LT & to redshirt Zion this season.

He wasn't physically ready & was legitimately one of the worst OT's in all of D1 football last year.

I went back & watched several games last year only focusing on the OL & good god the number of times he was beaten like a rented mule is uncountable. Not just on the sacks, but there were plays that weren't sacks where the DE/Edge literally had 3 steps in the backfield instantaneously as the ball was snapped, he was getting blown by on nearly every freaking snap.

Maybe he can improve with better coaching, but I think he needs a season to add more weight & truly learn how to play the game, he's extremely raw & needs a full year of development before he's forced back out on the field.

Or just kick His *** inside where He has help, He's built more like a Guard anyway.

The guys who are talking about Zion needing to bulk up and not being "physically ready" - what team were you watching this season?

Zion was solid with his anchor and acquitted himself well to the physicality of the game. That was the 1 area of his game where he had success.

The issues were:

1. Pass set footwork - particularly those asinine quick/jump sets that Enos & Barry made him try, often on the slow developing play action plays. You take a HS kid who doesn't even have a consistent vertical set in his toolbox and you ask him to execute a variety of different sets...smh. The timing and hand placement required to execute a jump set is impossible for an 18 year old true freshman. This resulted in panicked lunges from Zion and him opening the gate trying to block with a perpendicular shuffle instead of maintaining half-man relationship with kickslides. Later in the season he showed flashes of doing the latter. He has the athleticism to be good at it but it takes reps and confidence.

2. Mental errors - the whole OL struggled with communication, blitz pickups, passing off games, knowing where the help is, etc. Lots and lots of snaps where Zion looks inside and the edge guy races in untouched. Much like the pass set issue this is another where a more simplified system should make assignments much easier to understand.

I'll buy up all the Zion stock idgaf. If Miami adds a grad transfer I bet it will be a RT (Scaife kicks inside) or interior guy.

Shiiittttttt bruh we had a 2star TF LT..a 400pound LG and a 3star TF RG STARTING🤣🤣😭..like bruh cmon..they were terrible last year..2 things are true, Enos sucked along with his QBs and the line was historically bad

Who cares about stars, means nothing, only a moron oc would call those 5 & 7 step drops without a proven o-line. Remember the 1st drive against the gaytors, go back and look at it, blocking was not the problem. Once that moron started calling plays that forced those guys to try and hold blocks longer,it was a wrap!

Advertisement
Who cares about stars, means nothing, only a moron oc would call those 5 & 7 step drops without a proven o-line. Remember the 1st drive against the gaytors, go back and look at it, blocking was not the problem. Once that moron started calling plays that forced those guys to try and hold blocks longer,it was a wrap!
Yup..we fooled UF with a couple misdirection plays that broke..but u can’t rely on that the whole game..my point is you have to be able to have a strength in pass pro or Run BLK..our guys were bad at both last year..if you don’t think having a 2star fresh LT and 3star fresh RG matters then we just gonna have to agree to disagree on that

I'm calling it now he will be one of the most improved players for 2020. I'm saying it now because another year with coach feeley will do wonders plus we have a legit O-Line coach.

But the biggest reason I'm saying this now because he will get absolutely WORKED in practice going up against these phenom cyborg DEs in practice with Rossaue, Roche, Phillips, and Harvey every day. Boys we are fortunate to have these horses out there.
Pretty safe prediction. He’s shown how much upside he has since he stepped foot on campus

No question he should've redshirted last year but that ship has sailed. He has the experience and now he needs to improve his technique. If he does that he should be our 2nd best returning lineman behind Scaife.

Veteran competition at OL is a must but I don't anticipate Zion being the weak link that gets replaced. He's tough, he works hard and he's athletic. I'm optimistic that it will click for him soon.

Advertisement
Advertisement

wish our wr and secondary had the same type of competition. this is where we can win 10 games or we win can 5. Need to tighten up that back 7.

Yup..we fooled UF with a couple misdirection plays that broke..but u can’t rely on that the whole game..my point is you have to be able to have a strength in pass pro or Run BLK..our guys were bad at both last year..if you don’t think having a 2star fresh LT and 3star fresh RG matters then we just gonna have to agree to disagree on that

Go and check the nfl teams and probowlers, if you're into stars, alot were 3 star and below, so stars are a myth. And we didnt have a 3 star at guard, scaife was the other guard, campbell started at right tackle. Coach diaz should've went run heavy, but with enos already, having no identity, so he wouldnt commit to anything.

The guys who are talking about Zion needing to bulk up and not being "physically ready" - what team were you watching this season?

Zion was solid with his anchor and acquitted himself well to the physicality of the game. That was the 1 area of his game where he had success.

The issues were:

1. Pass set footwork - particularly those asinine quick/jump sets that Enos & Barry made him try, often on the slow developing play action plays. You take a HS kid who doesn't even have a consistent vertical set in his toolbox and you ask him to execute a variety of different sets...smh. The timing and hand placement required to execute a jump set is impossible for an 18 year old true freshman. This resulted in panicked lunges from Zion and him opening the gate trying to block with a perpendicular shuffle instead of maintaining half-man relationship with kickslides. Later in the season he showed flashes of doing the latter. He has the athleticism to be good at it but it takes reps and confidence.

2. Mental errors - the whole OL struggled with communication, blitz pickups, passing off games, knowing where the help is, etc. Lots and lots of snaps where Zion looks inside and the edge guy races in untouched. Much like the pass set issue this is another where a more simplified system should make assignments much easier to understand.

I'll buy up all the Zion stock idgaf. If Miami adds a grad transfer I bet it will be a RT (Scaife kicks inside) or interior guy.

Glad to see some understood Zion was actually balling pretty solid inspite of the inept oc, which is why i know coach barry wasnt that bad. Zion has what it takes to get the job done!

Advertisement
Back