Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

Advertisement
Let’s all take a moment to realize that our punter that is coming in next year is rated higher than this guy.

Searels has failed. And this kid is a lottery ticket. I'm not sugarcoating anything- we suck right now.

But let's give this kid a chance. He shows a lot of athletic ability and twitch. Size 17 feet so he has the right growth profile. Offensive line is an evaluation position- 18 of the 23 Pro Bowl linemen last year were three stars or worse. Most were from totally off the grid.

Again, you can't make a living off the lottery. But let's judge him on his merits. I like him better than the New York kid.

Searels has failed. And this kid is a lottery ticket. I'm not sugarcoating anything- we suck right now.

But let's give this kid a chance. He shows a lot of athletic ability and twitch. Size 17 feet so he has the right growth profile. Offensive line is an evaluation position- 18 of the 23 Pro Bowl linemen last year were three stars or worse. Most were from totally off the grid.

Again, you can't make a living off the lottery. But let's judge him on his merits. I like him better than the New York kid.

That’s fine but you CANT take both

Advertisement

Issue is I don't see Searles coaching this kid up. He can't even get 4 star kids to play at a high level, how's he going to mold this kid.

He better show some ******* twitch and athleticism at 240.

Lowest ranked recruit in our class. Somehow lower ranked than our punter.

Issue is I don't see Searles coaching this kid up. He can't even get 4 star kids to play at a high level, how's he going to mold this kid.

I agree. This guy needs a couple years anyway. Who knows who our coach will be once he's physically developed.

Advertisement

Looks better if you watch in fast forward mode...

Said this in another thread but no matter who we bring in on the OL not named Evan Neal, this OL class doesn’t matter. The last two do.

If he can’t develop Scaife, Campbell, Reed and Herbert / Hillery into starters for next year, Richt will be gone with the quickness. It’s as simple as that.

This is a kid you sign when.......YOUR GETTING NEAL.

At this point might as well offer Neal's bro a full scholly. Both are longshots to hit.

Guy sucks so bad at Evaluating OT's that he is down to get a kid this light. Only benefit is kid will be here for spring getting his *** handed to him and gaining weight. Dont expect anything from him for another 2 years at minimum. Project tackle prospect all the way.

Pluses: Kid is in the Shrine Bowl in Nc/Sc currently an all star game we should have 1 coach go to EVERY YEAR. He stood out size wize being close to 6'6 with long *** arms. He will be here in the spring/ winter conditioning. His frame looks like he can carry up to 280 rather easily.

Minus: Level of play, He's light as all **** you will have to hope he can put on weight in the lower body. Polendy is likely bigger than him right now. His film didnt show much strength either.

My opinion is its a YUUUUUGGGE REACH. At a position we shouldnt be reaching at. We should BE Scouring the nation for top quality OT's not garbage diving for easy flips. If your going to reach might as well do it ...In state. Will watch him closely in the spring.

Advertisement
You go from Andrew Tallman type takes to Delmar Taylor type takes very quick. Life comes at you fast.

FWIW - he will rate as the worst rated scholarship prospect we have on our roster. The lowest rated prospect we've given a scholarship to since Terrence Henley.

We've reached Critical Golden Mass here at Miami under Richt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OT Zion Nelson, Sumter (S.C.)- The Appalachian State commit is an intriguing developmental prospect with a tall, wide frame. The 6-foot-6, 245-pounder worked at left tackle on Monday and looks to have the longest arms among the Sandlapper offensive linemen.

RespectfulSharpBedlingtonterrier-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Back