Zion Nelson future 1st Rounder

fwiw Dane Brugler - who's more plugged in than most of these early mockers - has no Canes in his '22 1st round mock. Only 5 OL in his mock.

A lot of QBs getting 1st rd buzz and none of them have earned it so it will be an interesting year. Much stronger defensive class. I don't see any surefire stud skill position players at this point. My favorite is probably Garrett Wilson.

Advertisement
I still think the 1st round Zion hype is premature but **** would I love to be wrong.
Yeah, I think people are extrapolating the jump he made from FR to Soph year and thinking if he can improve that much in another year. That's probably unrealistic as he improved a crazy amount.

Advertisement
I remember arguing with folks ripping him at the half way point. I was like he’s easily the best ol and is having a pretty **** good year. Then the grades came out and people started shutting up. Ol is one position I spend time watching , I actually watch a replay normal , then the next replay I only watch the ol. After a couple games of him starting I was like “ Jesus , this isn’t the same guy”. Unreal jump, I have mad respect for his toughness and tenacity. That Fr year would’ve broken most kids.

If he improves his run blocking ( still an Issue) and works more on his feet he could most definitely go in the top two rounds.
Who do you see potentially going rounds 1-3 for us next year? Sounds like Zion, Bolden, Tyrique, Donaldson, and King have a chance. Maybe Mallory.

I’ve trashed Ivey as much as anyone the last few years for his coverage breakdowns, but if things start to click with TRob and playing more press coverage, I could see him sneaking into the 3rd or 4th round. He’s got the ideal size/frame/length for an NFL corner.

Who do you see potentially going rounds 1-3 for us next year? Sounds like Zion, Bolden, Tyrique, Donaldson, and King have a chance. Maybe Mallory.

I’ve trashed Ivey as much as anyone the last few years for his coverage breakdowns, but if things start to click with TRob and playing more press coverage, I could see him sneaking into the 3rd or 4th round. He’s got the ideal size/frame/length for an NFL corner.
I personally believe Mallory is the best pro prospect on the team. So do a couple of our coaches. Putting aside injuries, Cheney is right behind him imo.

His mental toughness is unquestioned. That 2019 season would have been easy for him to go in a shell and never recover..He wont be the type of guy who goes into a deep depression if he loses his job and the foreclosure letter is on the door saying he better pay in a week or its over thats for **** sure.
Yep. Kid proved he has massive heart.

Told y’all back when I saw him against Pitt. That tape made him a potential 1st rounder. He was so dominating Pitt was moving Jones and Weaver away from him trying to create pressure.
Watching that Pitt game now. Nelson played both left and right Tackle and looked very comfortable. That takes a lot of skill. Campbell is actually looking alright at left tackle. Wonder why they opted to move Zion right and bring the swing tackle in at LT this game.

Advertisement
Watching that Pitt game now. Nelson played both left and right Tackle and looked very comfortable. That takes a lot of skill. Campbell is actually looking alright at left tackle. Wonder why they opted to move Zion right and bring the swing tackle in at LT this game.
As soon as I typed that Campbell gives up an immediate pressure to Patrick Jones

fwiw Dane Brugler - who's more plugged in than most of these early mockers - has no Canes in his '22 1st round mock. Only 5 OL in his mock.

A lot of QBs getting 1st rd buzz and none of them have earned it so it will be an interesting year. Much stronger defensive class. I don't see any surefire stud skill position players at this point. My favorite is probably Garrett Wilson.
I like the TE from A&M. Watched him play a few times and he jumped off the screen. Looks like a sure fire top 15 pick to me.

If zion goes first round you gotta give another nod to manolo ... he threw him out there as a freshman, let him take his lumps, coached him up and two years later he's a first rounder, that's the type of pub we need
True but man that ****t was hard to watch lol

Success story indeed! He's only going to get better as he gets stronger. The kid already has the work ethic and the smarts. He gets stronger and improves his footwork and he can maintain that 1st round grade.
The pub is there, just take advantage of it Zion!!!

Big ups to the kid and do better to the clowns who gave up on the kid as a freshman. lol

Advertisement
McShay has him going #5 overall:

i

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Zion Nelson, OT, Miami*

Nelson has started 20 games at left tackle for Miami and greatly improved over the past season. In 2020, the 6-foot-5, 316-pounder was attributed zero sacks against and allowed only three pressures on 336 pass-block snaps. After the Bengals drafted a dominant wide receiver in Ja'Marr Chase in the first round this year, I think they look to Joe Burrow's protection on Day 1 in 2022.

McShay has him going #5 overall:

i

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Zion Nelson, OT, Miami*

Nelson has started 20 games at left tackle for Miami and greatly improved over the past season. In 2020, the 6-foot-5, 316-pounder was attributed zero sacks against and allowed only three pressures on 336 pass-block snaps. After the Bengals drafted a dominant wide receiver in Ja'Marr Chase in the first round this year, I think they look to Joe Burrow's protection on Day 1 in 2022.
Just came to post that.

Crazy after how bad he looked in 2019 that being first round let alone even drafted is even considered a possibility.

His mock seemed the most accurate at first glance, although the QB order is a crapshoot.

The Cane with the best chance to jump in the first is Tyrique Stevenson, as @Boarcane noted. He's 6'0, 217 and will run in the 4.4s with explosive jumps. He's also a physical, versatile player in the Minkah Fitzpatrick mold.

All told, I can see four South Florida DBs going Round 1 or close to it: Stevenson, Kair Elam, Jordan Battle and Josh Jobe.

Advertisement
So we are just penciling in TS as a first round NFL pick? Why do you guys do this to yourselves?? I will never understand it. Let's see him play here first, he was not that good at UGA. He looks the part for sure, but let's let him play before we crown him.

Talking with multiple UGA fans they all thought he lacked a bit as a cb and would be a better safety but is for sure a plus athlete. He should have been a Cane Day 1 but I'm glad he is here, let's see what he can do.

Last edited:
I'm gonna just go ahead and pencil myself in as a first round pick too in the 2022 mock draft. Why the **** not right?

Advertisement
Back