Zion Keeps on Improving

Some of you guys are jokes on here. Before it was " if we have to play Zion were in trouble." Smh.... BTW I heard Elgammal is between 290 and 300lbs TRUE STORY...so I guess what I will hear now is but he's from NY and the competition is no good and he won't be ready meanwhile the linemen Zion was lining up against on his highlight film is nothing to write home about.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are jokes on here. Before it was " if we have to play Zion were in trouble." Smh.... BTW I heard Elgammal is between 290 and 300lbs TRUE STORY...so I guess what I will hear now is but he's from NY and the competition is no good and he won't be ready meanwhile the linemen Zion was lining up against on his highlight film is nothing to write home about.
where did you hear that from, not doubting you just want to know. That would be really good if true.

Doubtful he starts. An undersized true freshman at the most important position on the OL? He’s clearly ahead of schedule but pump the brakes a bit.

LT: Scaife
LG: Donaldson
C: Gaynor
RG: Hillery/Reed/Campbell
RT: Herbert
So Herbert has been playing RT this spring, if so than I agree. The RT position will probably be Herbert and Nelson. Do you think Campbell, Reed, or Hillery can play LG? wish we had a true LT to make Scaife start inside and use him as a backup for the LT position.

Advertisement
Doubtful he starts. An undersized true freshman at the most important position on the OL? He’s clearly ahead of schedule but pump the brakes a bit.

LT: Scaife
LG: Donaldson
C: Gaynor
RG: Hillery/Reed/Campbell
RT: Herbert

When it comes to LT/RT size & strength are much less important than athleticism. The last 20 yrs of MIA football and the NFL definitively prove that. He just needs enough strength to be able to withstand a bullrush. If he can add 10-15 more lbs before the season-its a wrap.

When it comes to LT/RT size & strength are much less important than athleticism. The last 20 yrs of MIA football and the NFL definitively prove that. He just needs enough strength to be able to withstand a bullrush. If he can add 10-15 more lbs before the season-its a wrap.
He can definitely play at this level of football at around 280-285lbs.

I'll admit, I was worried he was just a numbers take. Don't believe I talked smack, but definitely possible.

That being said, it's always great when an underrated guy starts proving doubters wrong. Right now, it looks like best case scenario he's a starter/stud, worst case he pushes for PT and forces the starters to work harder to hold on to their jobs

So Herbert has been playing RT this spring, if so than I agree. The RT position will probably be Herbert and Nelson. Do you think Campbell, Reed, or Hillery can play LG? wish we had a true LT to make Scaife start inside and use him as a backup for the LT position.

I haven’t really seen enough of them to make a judgment. I like the idea of Reed starting at guard because he seems like a bully which is what the OL has been missing. Him and Donaldson are a large duo. His issue was conditioning however.

Advertisement

Possibly. It just seems like a leap for a kid who was considered a 2-3 year project will be ready to start after 1 offseason.

I’m trying to think of true freshmen who came in and started at LT at major P5 schools. I know a kid from Clemson did it a few years ago his name escapes me at the moment but thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Just seems like a very rare thing.

I said from day one Zion has set his bar way higher then anybody here or on the team even the coaches. A fire burns in this kid he'll eat sleep and train like no other so he can be like no other.
Zion will protect the blind side with his heart and soul , yes he'll show some growing pains and many here will tear him apart again repeatedly even after cheering him yes we eat our own young here.

Imagine Zion when the coaches come to him at sometime saying we choose you Zion to protect our QB's blindside are you up to the challenge OMG his fire inside will FLASH to new heights.

ZION WILL PROTECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOCANES

I don't know if I ever wrote it but I definitely thought it.

He still don't get a pass just yet do it consistently in games then we'll back track our words.
I had a gut feeling this kid was better than he was getting credit for here. I remember he played in the state all-star game and he seemed to be well-regarded in-state. Look at that '99 roster. I don't think Joaquin Gonzalez was any more highly recruited. I think he was a local sleeper. They said he picked us over Harvard.

Advertisement
It was more the clown show by the staff, he could be the diamond in the rough we never seem to find. But them striking out so much on the ol under Searles we were a feisty bunch.

I mean offering a 240 pound tackle committed to App State isn’t the best route to go most times lol.

I’m honestly shocked with Zion, I guess we deserve to hit on an underrated ol. We’re due.

As previously stated, the kid is from the South Carolina Midlands (Perrys, Boulwares, MIA42178, etc). He’s going to work his way to the top and end up a leader in our OL room.

Possibly. It just seems like a leap for a kid who was considered a 2-3 year project will be ready to start after 1 offseason.

I’m trying to think of true freshmen who came in and started at LT at major P5 schools. I know a kid from Clemson did it a few years ago his name escapes me at the moment but thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Just seems like a very rare thing.

Jason Fox would be the parallel to look to. But, it’s definitely asking a lot of a true freshman

Advertisement
Tyron Smith from the Dallas Cowboys was considered undersized when he was at SC as well. Around 280-290 pounds. No comparing Skillset just the size.

I would have loved to see him get a redshirt. We will never be back until we consistently red shirt talent and get to a point where a guys fourth year in the program is his junior year. However we need him badly and I hope he can contribute

Zion will be forced to loose what should be his Redshirt year ... that's how porous the OLine is.

Tyron Smith from the Dallas Cowboys was considered undersized when he was at SC as well. Around 280-290 pounds. No comparing Skillset just the size.

He was also a 5-star all-everything recruit that had dominated every camp and all-star event he attended.

Advertisement
Back