Zion Keeps on Improving

CarolCityHigh

Freshman
From Miami Herald-----------https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article229182234.html

"On Saturday, with the first team, we saw early enrollee Zion Nelson and largely unproven Kai-Leon Herbert at left and right tackle, respectively, sophomore D.J. Scaife and redshirt freshman Cleveland Reed at guard and Navaughn Donaldson filling in for Corey Gaynor at center."

"Nelson has really come on strong, enough so that Scaife was shifted to guard Saturday."“I got here same day Zion got here,” Enos said. “I said, ‘Who’s that?’ They said, ‘Zion, he’s a freshman.’ I’m like, ‘He’ll probably be good in a few years.’ He has excellent athletic ability, very tough. To be honest with you, the guy has put him in position to be in the first group if he continues to get better and stronger and learn."

“He’s put on a bunch of weight since I’ve got here. I can’t say enough [good things] about him. It’s asking a lot as a freshmen but he’s responded in a very good way.”

Advertisement
WOW 😮 **** we were all 💩 on this guy when he was offered! That’s shows how much cis coaches know including me!

It was more the clown show by the staff, he could be the diamond in the rough we never seem to find. But them striking out so much on the ol under Searles we were a feisty bunch.

I mean offering a 240 pound tackle committed to App State isn’t the best route to go most times lol.

I’m honestly shocked with Zion, I guess we deserve to hit on an underrated ol. We’re due.

Advertisement
Whether he plays a lot this year remains to be seen but the fact of the work ethic for a guy that was not highly recruited when compared against others that have been here for years is nothing less than outstanding.

Not too many 240 pound lineman are going to get recruit by the Power 5. How big was Eric Winston when he came in? Maybe 250 as an inline tight end.

Advertisement
Zion will be forced to loose what should be his Redshirt year ... that's how porous the OLine is.
I'm usually against redshirting for the sake of redshirting, if a guy is good enough to play he should be out there. But if you want to be a championship team, you almost always RS in the trenches.

Zion having a chance to be on the 2 deep as true freshman shows that we still have a long way to go to be a championship contender.

Advertisement
ill be happy to say im wrong if he turns out to be a good player, still don't want to throw him to the wolves till he is ready.

He should be 280 by the time the season starts but will his technique be good enough to go against UF game 1 ? Wouldn't wanna hurt the kids confidence but we gotta trust the coaches.

Advertisement
I think we should fair with our outspokenness with Zion. RICHT AND GOLDEN MADE US GUN-SHY TO TAKE A 2 OR 3 STAR.

3 stars intruige me at this point :)

Zion is constantly praised for his athleticism and toughness. Seeing him at 280-85 in August, I now expect him to start. With ND and Scaife locks to start, we’ll have a top competition for your remaining two OL positions among:

Hillery
Reed
Gaynor
Herbert
Dykstra
Brown
Campbell
Kennedy
Griffith
El Gammal
Clark

Who you got for the 2 OL spots?

He’s a kid most thought were a project that we would and see what he would be in three years.

Instead he came and has seized opportunity.

Advertisement
Back