Zion Keeps on Improving

Some of you guys are jokes on here. Before it was " if we have to play Zion were in trouble." Smh.... BTW I heard Elgammal is between 290 and 300lbs TRUE STORY...so I guess what I will hear now is but he's from NY and the competition is no good and he won't be ready meanwhile the linemen Zion was lining up against on his highlight film is nothing to write home about.

That would be impressive. If true though, I suspect it isn't good weight.

Advertisement
That would be impressive. If true though, I suspect it isn't good weight.
Why wouldn't it be good weight? He was already bout 275. Blissett said he added 25 pounds of muscle and is 285 now. So its possible elgammal could be 290-300 now.

I will gladly eat crow, I thought what a reach, a 2 star 240 OL who will never see the field his entire career here. It looks like this kid has put himself in a position to start. This kid is my favorite recruit now because he was such an underdog and I questioned him. Good luck young man keep balling out and make us proud!

I personally didn't mind the pick up. But I did consider him a reach as he was a 2-star (at the time) recruit who was 240 lbs. I thought we needed some immediate players and assumed Zion would take a year or two of development first. Personally, I'd still like to see the kid take a RS to keep building up his body. But the fact that he's already getting the recognition that he has is impressive.

I would have loved to see him get a redshirt. We will never be back until we consistently red shirt talent and get to a point where a guys fourth year in the program is his junior year. However we need him badly and I hope he can contribute

Yep. I'd love to get to a point where our OL recruits are not expected to step in until maybe a redshirt sophomore year. Unless of course the kid is an all world can't miss prospect.

Advertisement
Why wouldn't it be good weight? He was already bout 275. Blissett said he added 25 pounds of muscle and is 285 now. So its possible elgammal could be 290-300 now.

I suppose, some kids are genetically gifted and when they really hit the weights they gain quickly (an important aspect in recruiting evaluations imo). It's just not often you see gains like that even a few months into a college strength program and it's not likely he's working with a great strength coach on his own. All I'm saying is it's more likely bad weight than good.

Did you totally ignore the fact I said not comparing skill set just size?

No, but I wanted to add context. I think Zion will play this year and will be at an adequate weight to do so (~280).

But, in comparing his freshman playing weight to that of one of the best Offensive Tackles on the planet, I thought it was worth noting that a lot of things about Tyron Smith's elite skillset are what allowed him to succeed while underweight.

No, but I wanted to add context. I think Zion will play this year and will be at an adequate weight to do so (~280).

But, in comparing his freshman playing weight to that of one of the best Offensive Tackles on the planet, I thought it was worth noting that a lot of things about Tyron Smith's elite skillset are what allowed him to succeed while underweight.

agreed. All I was trying to say was you can play at this level at 280. I think especially in the ACC with more tweener/pass rushing d-ends. They say he has great feet.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back