Zach Johnson FGCU

Huell and Izundu can't play extended minutes together, they clog the lane. We need a 4 who can shoot and defend with Huell at the 5. Maybe Sam can become that guy.
Izundu + Sam is our best combo probably.

If Sam can keep developing him and Lykes could be a great PnR game. And Izundu is the best interior defnder we have.

Izundu
Sam
Lawrence
Johnson
Lykes

With Huell, Gak, Wilson, Mack, DJ would be ideal. I'm guessing Huell will start though, just cause

If Huell is a borderline starter in college going into his junior year, it probably doesn't make sense for him to turn pro, but what do I know?

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Huell is a borderline starter in college going into his junior year, it probably doesn't make sense from him to turn pro, but what do I know?

Very true. I also hear it is important skill to be able to catch a wide open pass down-low. The NBA likes when you're ale to do that.

If Huell is a borderline starter in college going into his junior year, it probably doesn't make sense from him to turn pro, but what do I know?
Huell, whatever his shortcomings, is hardly a "borderline" starter. He went from being a minimal contributor as a true frosh, to carrying the team in many statistical categories (especially in the first half of the season) as a Soph.

If you added up their respective impacts, he probably was the key man in our winning a game as many times as Lonnie was. Hopefully, if he's back, he'll continue to improve. Like the common wisdom goes, big men take longer to develop.

Huell, whatever his shortcomings, is hardly a "borderline" starter. He went from being a minimal contributor as a true frosh, to carrying the team in many statistical categories (especially in the first half of the season) as a Soph.

If you added up their respective impacts, he probably was the key man in our winning a game as many times as Lonnie was. Hopefully, if he's back, he'll continue to improve. Like the common wisdom goes, big men take longer to develop.

Izundu was about as consistent as Huell. Huell disappeared for games at a time.

Advertisement
I've been watching Coach L develop bigs since my freshman year at Mason in 1998, one of the best things he does - as evidence by the marked improvement from Huell and Izundu this year. Expect to see even more this upcoming year.

With Miles now eligible and the FGCU transfer, we should be in pretty good shape to be a top 25 team.

Advertisement

Pretty fair assessment I think

Izundu was about as consistent as Huell. Huell disappeared for games at a time.
You could say that for Amp, Lykes, DJ, Newton, Lonnie and Bruce. Consistency from game to game was not part of most of our players' strengths.

Lonnie was universally viewed as a 1-and-done when he got here, so his consistency was irrelevant, and was also injured in the summer which set him back. Bruce was injured basically the whole season (wrist then foot). The rest of those guys (and everybody else on the roster, including Izundu) aren't flirting with entering this year's draft. Huell is clearly not an NBA player at this stage of his development.

Advertisement
How many times does it need to be said, Coach L's offense needs a PG. Lykes' maturity will shut posters on here up.

Lykes/Johnson/Lawrence/Huell/Ibukzu should be enough to get us to the tourney again. 1st round exit but tourney nevertheless.

If we can get that PG grad transfer, then things could get interesting

Advertisement
Lykes/Johnson/Lawrence/Huell/Ibukzu should be enough to get us to the tourney again. 1st round exit but tourney nevertheless.

If we can get that PG grad transfer, then things could get interesting

That's a better starting lineup, especially once you account for player improvement, (or at least equal), with a much stronger bench.

Acting like that team is a guaranteed 1st round exit is just strange

It will be a veteran team than can go 9-10 deep. You can never really predict how the tourney will go, but roster wise its a lot more like our Sweet 16 teams than last years team

Advertisement
Back