Your story on how you became a can fan

Brother went to UM and graduated and had classes with Jim Kelly. He said Jim was never in class. LOL

He was a ZBT and I would constantly hang out on campus with him because my parents were always working. With my grades (I went to school at NM Sr High and sat next to Earl Little) I could barely get into Miami Dade. We've been season ticket holders since 1980. Had only missed one home game(Honeymoon) 2001 UM/FSU Shockey TD since 1980 until 2017 ND game. I haven't forgiven my wife fo missing that UM vs FSU game. Had to watch it in a shack in Jamaica LOL. Unfortunately I've also been a season ticket holder for the Phins since 1980 and had some fun years with Marino but really don't have the passion for the NFL anymore.
I heard a lot of guys from that era never showed.

Some years back, I met a guy who was a graduate instructor. Taught an introductory math class. Had two football players who never showed. He ended up flunking them. He never had a football player in his class again. That was from around that Kelly era, early "80's.

I guess school was kind of laid back about classes back then.

Advertisement
Growing up in Michigan (Subs of Detroit)I was 8yrs old. Every Thanksgiving we used to drive to my Grandparents cabin in Northern michigan and celebrate it with my dads side (typically 20 people). Not a huge sports family on my dads side, SOMEHOW the Arkansas Miami game was on TV. Only caring about GI Joe and He-Man not paying attention to the TV, my Uncle says, hey Chris I’ll bet you $.25 that the team in the white would beat the team in the Orange with the U on the helmet. At the time I believe Arkansas was up 2 with about 5 minutes to go in the game. I accepted the bet Miami came back to win 18-16 and I won $.25. Being in Northern Michigan they had a local score with candy for $.01, so I got 25 pieces of candy and never forgot the team that did that for me.

Fast forward 1991 (11yrs old) that’s when I started watching the games and following the team, I remember in ‘92 I had a cut out from the news paper of Gino Torretta in my locker winning the Heisman.

First Canes game Live was 2001 vs Penn State at Happy Valley, actually got tickets from an amazing guy I think it was Dave on Grassy and had the best time ever.

First game at OB was Frank Gore OT winner vs FSU

Moved to South Florida in 2005 and bought season seats at OB. Did a couple years at Hard Rock and had a kid and dropped the tickets.

Moved to ORLANDO in 2015 and have Never missed watching a game.

Last edited:
Grew up in Davie, and for my Dad who was born there in the 50's you rooted for the home team and that's all there was too it. Now I'm a little more radical since I got into all the recruiting. He likes Florida teams to win if the Canes aren't in it and I tell him no "Pops we need the Gaytors and Seminoles to lose and lose bad" 😆

Grew up in a BC family. Was playing a hockey game for the Flutie game and the stands went nuts when the play happened. I was eleven. Did not really know Miami then. The following year Miami beat BC 45-6 at Foxboro and I was in the flesh watching this masterpiece. Then Miami was on TV with Irv in Doak and Burt Reynolds was in the booth yuckin’ it up and then Miami came back and Irv points to the crowd and high fives some dude in the end zone. I was hooked. The Boz OU game, the Michigan comeback, LSU at night mug job. It was tremendous. The FSU game is where it all materialized and I have never looked back. Lot of closet Canes fans up here. Perfect storm for me, the bravado was great. I loved Danny Stubbs. I would be apoplectic when Miami would lose a game. BYU, I wanted to assasinate Ty Detmer and burn that Y on the mountain. A kid from my town who I became best friends with when we got older is another insane Miami fan. A brother in an arms race in a city where Miami, for the most part, is loathed. This post is all over the place because I lose my **** thinking about the glory years and how much fun it is being a Canes fan.

1984 orange bowl...love at first sight. Best part was how much love the city had for the canes after. That’s when Miami hurricanes became not just an alumni, students team, but the 305’s team. Loved watching them boys roll up into club manhattans back in the day. Swag as f*** reppin our city. These guys wanted these KKK schools asses and took a piece of every clown (boz) hillbilly star balls all the time. Not sure when south Florida kids wanted to turncoat and play for the hillbillies, but bags are a motherf*cker to turn down when Miami’s all about show. They want it to fast and think after a couples years in HS, they deserve Dabo and satan co signing those rides. New generation. Tiger Clark and Jerome Bettis woulda lit these youngsters on fire trying to drive those kkk paid rides around my city. Shame

Advertisement
To follow up on my diatribe... This could be revisionist history so I am looking for some help. Someone on here was at this game I am sure. When they played LSU at night in Baton Rouge I remember ESPN saying it was so loud the Richter Scale was picking it up. By half the stadium was half full and Miami robbed the shed and took all the women. Was it roughly 40-0 at half? That was a beat down.

'83 season
p1jCj7.gif

Advertisement
Grew up in a BC family. Was playing a hockey game for the Flutie game and the stands went nuts when the play happened. I was eleven. Did not really know Miami then. The following year Miami beat BC 45-6 at Foxboro and I was in the flesh watching this masterpiece. Then Miami was on TV with Irv in Doak and Burt Reynolds was in the booth yuckin’ it up and then Miami came back and Irv points to the crowd and high fives some dude in the end zone. I was hooked. The Boz OU game, the Michigan comeback, LSU at night mug job. It was tremendous. The FSU game is where it all materialized and I have never looked back. Lot of closet Canes fans up here. Perfect storm for me, the bravado was great. I loved Danny Stubbs. I would be apoplectic when Miami would lose a game. BYU, I wanted to assasinate Ty Detmer and burn that Y on the mountain. A kid from my town who I became best friends with when we got older is another insane Miami fan. A brother in an arms race in a city where Miami, for the most part, is loathed. This post is all over the place because I lose my **** thinking about the glory years and how much fun it is being a Canes fan.
Getting close to my story!

I like it.

Parents went to Miami in the 80s for their honeymoon. Dad fell in love with the place and was a fan of Miami sports since that trip, I’ve followed in his footsteps. Lucky ******* managed to get a few trips to the Orange Bowl too, unfortunately I won’t be able to experience that

Alright mates , I will thrown in. Lots of Michigan reformers...

I was about 10. Had a rough childhood. Played soccer and got kicked out for being to "rough".

Ok, well I will watch sports on TV then ..

Literally turned on the TV. I see 2 teams. Boston College vs. Miami.

Dad and family are Gator alumns..And I live with Mom in effin Sacramento area!

Literally the last 50 seconds of that game. I watch Flutie throw up that **** "hail Mary" and have it caught!!

I was like, irritated and confused. I am 10. I did not know of Football yet.

But what I thought... "That is some sorry *** bullish way to lose".. That white team loses by that crap?

Next season I followed the White uniform team. Them Canes..

Rode it all. Regret nothing. Converted many friends. Donate. Still live in CA. Fly out to UM games every couple years.

Love them. Always will.

Advertisement
Let's get to it

I'm gonna write a very detailed post later on, but I'd like to start the thread now to get things underway.
I'm not really a can fan, I prefer bottles over a can. Something about how that ice just chills the bottle. That's just me tho

I grew up in Dallas, so you know I was steeped in Miami lore. My mother and all of her siblings, all went to Carter High in the eighties, so she was a fan because of Jessie Armstead, because they were classmates. So, I grew up in a home that was all Miami, even when things went sideways in the mid nineties. When it became time to pick a college, Miami was at the top of the list, and once I saw the merit aid the school was giving out, I was all in. Loved the school so much I stayed for my masters and JD.
I used to have that great state championship game for Jessie's senior year. I think Carter beat Odessa Permian Basin. When I went to one of the Sugar Bowls, I think at end of '89 season, spoke to a souvenir vendor from Dallas. He'd seen a lot more of Jesse than I had. I remember he said, "Jessie was a man among boys." I remember a video--maybe that game or another--where Jessie would be chasing opposing QB deep in the backfield. Next play, Jessie would be deep in secondary in coverage. He was everywhere. Had such range.

It was such a big deal when we recruited him. Great player, maybe number one in the country. According to JJ a great kid.

A year or two later Clifton Abraham (I think his name was) came out of Carter. First Team USA Today A-A. On his Miami visit he was so concerned about the depth chart. UM guys were not impressed with that.

Growing up in San Diego, college football was basically non existent, I used to watch the Raiders when they were the bad boys of the NFL. As the 80s and 90s Canes teams began to gain notoriety for not only winning but having fun doing it, I began to watch football more and more on Saturdays and was the one guy in the room from Southern California pulling for Miami.

At 18 years old, having never even been to Florida, I applied to the U for school in 2002. The day my letter came back with a scholarship, my dad booked a flight to Miami for us the same afternoon. He pulled me out of school and we landed in some strange swampy place with no elevation and humidity.

The next day before I even saw the campus, he took me to South Beach for lunch and we walked on to the sand and I saw topless women laying around in thongs and at that point it didn’t matter what the campus looked like. I knew exactly where I was going to spend the rest of my life.

I left everything I knew in San Diego and moved to the dorms 3000 miles away later that year not knowing a single soul anywhere even in the state of Florida. The night before our first football game of the season against Florida in 2003, I had befriended a group of seniors who offered me a ride and invitation to their tailgate Orange Bowl.

The first play of the first college football game I ever witnessed live was Devin Hester returning the opening kickoff for a TD against Florida. If that weren’t enough to get a young boy hooked, we had a miraculous comeback down 17 in the third quarter and won the game and I rushed onto the field and started jumping around with Frank Gore.

16 years later, still live in Miami, and been a season ticket holder and attended 124 Canes games (home and road). It’s all about the U.

GO CANES!

Advertisement
I saw a bunch of players wearing baggy clothes. Wearing jewellery. Getting arrested. Talking schit before and after the play. I realized these guys are just dudes from the hood like me and rooted for them ever since. Thank god I didn't wait a few years to become a football fan or I would have been a UF fan.
And RVA would have been talking **** about you and your gaytor flipz.

I remember watching that first national title against the NE Cornfackers at the age of 5 with my dad and uncle. Seeing their reaction at the end and them telling me how incredible that accomplishment was stuck with me. From there it was all Canes for me. I have been blessed to ride the wave ever since. As bad as it was to experience the Taint robbery. Overall I am thankful and happy

Ok. Long story, but here goes....I grew up in Macon, GA. Some of the older dudes started a lil gang (U-Team) in my hood and started wearing stuff with the Miami “U” on it. A few bought or stole items when they could, (was hard to find Miami stuff up here back then. Most of us just had the “U” drawn on their clothes cause it was a lot cheaper, 😂🤣😂. When I asked them why they wore it, they said that the “U” stood for Unionville, which was our hood. I was really young when I started hanging wit dem dudes (My older brother’s homies, lol), but I started wearing the U also. Fast forward a couple years, around 85-86ish, I started paying attention to college football and more importantly.... Miami.... and these dudes are playing, talking trash, and acting just like we would, if somebody had cameras on us during one of our pickup football games. I became an instant fan. I had an older cousin who was visiting one Christmas, and saw me wearing a Miami cap. He lived in Miami and asked me if I liked UM. I’m like, “Heck yea”! He asked if I would like to come down for a game the next season. “YES”! We went to the Maryland game in 1987. What really hooked me, though was the views outside and walking into the stadium. I had never seen so many beautiful women wearing almost next to nothing, in my life. My 13 year old brain couldn’t quite comprehend what it was seeing. I was **** near in shock. All i knew is that I wanted to come to as many Miami games as possible, lol. Oh yeah, the game was nice, too. We won in a blowout. I was hooked forever!!!

Grew up around the Mira’s ,across the street from coach Harold Allen and my dad was good friends with Bill Trout....kinda glad no choice.

Advertisement
Back