Your story on how you became a can fan

When I watched CFB (barely did) saw number 26 play that was it for me, didnt watch much college still but on Monday night would here the U all the time with player introductions. After the Giants beat the Pats for the first time I moved over to college and Miami was my draw always, its the only college team I found interesting. Miami was on tv alot here in the Santana Moss era........now UM is the number one team its the only team I visit a forum about or look up on the web. If I had to sacrifice all my pro teams to suck for UM to be elite its a deal I make.

Advertisement
Born and raised in the 305 my parents came from Haiti and weren’t into sports turned on the tv seen the canes playing i was probably 7 or 8 can’t remember what game it was but Butch was the coach I just loved the swag man its also how I got into sports and man I want us to be back so bad

I grew up in south Florida in the 80's. My pop and uncles were fans so that's who I watched on TV when I was a kid. Went to my first game at the Orange Bowl in 1987.

A lot of the younger guys or people who didn't live down here don't know what Miami was like 35-40 years ago. There was a ****load of tension, today's Miami is peaceful AF compared to then. The Orange Bowl was the one place where the only colors that mattered were Orange and Green and as long as you were a 'Canes fan, you were brothers, at least for that day.

1st generation American, HATED american football but friends kept trying to push it on to me. A buddy of mine, Michigan fan, came over one saturday to teach me the game and convert me to a Michigan fan (brought me a Michigan tee and hat). I was bored ****less until halftime when i saw a Miami highlight - Edgerrin james - and i lost my mind. I couldnt understand why you would watch booty *** Michigan when there were teams like Miami. I asked him to put that game on but it wasnt televised; i then bombarded him with questions about what i just saw (the colors, the hair, gold teeth and what i can only describe as "organized chaos"). His answer cemented my fandom. He pretty much said - those guys are wild and are out of control. they are cool to watch but they always lose because they have no discipline. Its a team of all criminals and showboats. they are fun but you dont want to watch them because they dont play the game right.

During this time America wasnt as integrated and if you were black you were beaten in assimilating or ostracized and labeled as bad (at least from my experience). A big part of the draw to James and Miami was watching black players be free to be themselves and not fit a mold. I loved this about James.

Spent the next few weeks reading and trying to find info on Miami (no internet back then) and became a massive fan of James...then the team.

I caught a nice wave because this happened in 1995/96 - i had no concept of Miami history was just told by everyone im supposed to hate them and got clowned when i said i like them. I hate football anyways so i didnt care, figured ill be a fan of the underdog....and literally we fielded the best team ever a few years later. felt like fate to ride with them since then.

UM class of 2016. Went for the music program, but was already into college football so getting to root for the Canes was a nice little bonus.

Advertisement
I was born.

The end.

giphy.gif

Born and raised in so cal, 1st football game I really remember watching was the 88 orange bowl against Oklahoma, I was about 7- 8yrs old. The 89 games against Notre dame and the cotton bowl cemented my fandom, Been a fan ever since...plus UCLA and usc have always been lame to me lol

Advertisement
Only watched NFL when I started watching football. Loved my falcons but idolized Ed Reed. Decided I was gonna be a safety and play at UM. Didn’t play at UM but I was a fan though 😂

Watching Big East football as a kid in the cold dreary fall weather of the northeast and seeing the glorious sunshine and even more glorious team that occupied the Orange Bowl. Then had family that relocated to the Keys so I actually got to spend time in South Florida and it was game over. UM gaining national respectability academically just as I was applying to colleges worked out perfectly as well but I had already set as a fan for life by then anyway.

Advertisement
Not to mention cans are lighter and can be crushed so I don't feel like as much of a drunk when I carry out the recycling bin.

I was a young kid. Miami vs. N.D. was on the TV at an adult party. Watching the Canes dance every time they got a sack or scored hooked me and I've been a Canes and College Football fan ever since.

I was a young kid. Miami vs. N.D. was on the TV at an adult party. Watching the Canes dance every time they got a sack or scored hooked me and I've been a Canes and College Football fan ever since.
And don't forget to always end any statement that has any mentioning of those ******** with

"AND FAWK those ******* ***aloons fighting Fleur De Lis, your named after a church in France! What the **** does Irish have to do with a church in France?! FAWK Ara Parseghian you hypocritical cuck you can suck my cuck! Frick the Gipper, not Ronald Reagan he great, but the real gipper FAWK Him! FAWK South Bend middle of nowhere Indiana! and Fawk Indiana too for housing them! Fawk the Rocket, Rudy, Tim Brown, Tony Rice, Ricardo Aguas, and every other golden dunderheads ever!"

That is how to end any statement that mentions Notre Lame Fighting Fleur De Lis (its a church in fawking France people!)

Advertisement
PAPA Nick Chickillo 's son Mike 1969 went to Blue Lakes Elementary school together met in 4th grade there on Miller road 56st then Glades Jr high then Southwest Sr high graduated 1976.

Mike ended up retired as a First responder City of Coral Gables Firemen resides in Pinecrest now

GOCANES

I’ve loved cans since a very early age. My first experience with the cans was when me and a cute neighbor girl (we’ll call her Susie to protect all involved) were talking through our cans late at night with about a 60 foot piece of string tied between them. Oh boy, those were the days. We were so young and carefree talking and flirting every night through our cans. Then when I grew up around 12 years old and found out they put beer in those cans, that’s when I became a wild man for those cans. I always wonder what happened to Susie...

And don't forget to always end any statement that has any mentioning of those ******** with

"AND FAWK those ******* ***aloons fighting Fleur De Lis, your named after a church in France! What the **** does Irish have to do with a church in France?! FAWK Ara Parseghian you hypocritical cuck you can suck my cuck! Frick the Gipper, not Ronald Reagan he great, but the real gipper FAWK Him! FAWK South Bend middle of nowhere Indiana! and Fawk Indiana too for housing them! Fawk the Rocket, Rudy, Tim Brown, Tony Rice, Ricardo Aguas, and every other golden dunderheads ever!"

That is how to end any statement that mentions Notre Lame Fighting Fleur De Lis (its a church in fawking France people!)
Don't forget "Fuuck Gayor Pete Buttigieg"

Saw a tank top with Sebastian smoking a pipe at 10 years old. Had to have it. Was had started ed watching nfl games and playing organized ball a year earlier.

Missed college games because it was the same day as my games. My family has several FAMU alums, so 90% are holes fans.

On our off week, I went to a friends house for a haircut. There was a big crowd watching Miami vs FSU. Had my Canes shirt on, then Wide Right 2 happened.

Been hooked ever since.

Advertisement
Back