Your story on how you became a can fan

Transferred to UM in fall '73 from Maine. Went to the OB with a "nice" coed for the 9/23 game against #3 Texas in their season opener with "unstoppable" eventual Heisman winner Roosevelt Leaks at RB. Blowing a blunt in the beautiful night sky as we unexpectedly beat Texas with a soon to be orgasmic evening continuing made me a life long die-hard.

Advertisement
Played for a team called the Hurricanes in Detroit.

This was 1997-2002. We won everything in little league lol. Wore Orange and Green and played like the U. Real swaggy. Talk ****. Get in your face type ****, run up the score and there was nothing anybody could do about it lol.

Then I switched mobs to the Eastisde Falcons 2003-2007 Which was crazy because that was crazy we had the ATL Falcons logo and Mike Vick was the Man at the time and we was still running **** as kids lol. I never liked the Falcons though just Vick.

Every since then When I used to get the NCAA games on Playstation 2 I'd run with the U and beat everybody ***.

Went to school there, graduated ‘82. Never really started following until Jim Kelly upset Penn State. Got my attention. National Championship sealed it. Knew Larry Brodsky from junior high.

Went to school there, graduated ‘82. Never really started following until Jim Kelly upset Penn State. Got my attention. National Championship sealed it. Knew Larry Brodsky from junior high.

I was 11 first game I ever attended was the Miami Nebraska orange bowl our first national title, dad got us season tickets the following year and it’s been a lifelong love affair

my older brother told me about Sean Taylor rip. when he was on the skins. I started watching him, learned of all the players who had come before him and was never turned back...my fandom started in the suppa coop/baby edge days....its been a tough road but hopefully Ill see REAL SUCCESS from Canes in my lifetime... All time favorite cane to watch has been Sean Spence and Jaquan Johnson and Corn Elder and Trajan Bandy....real hittas real players

Advertisement
I was 11 first game I ever attended was the Miami Nebraska orange bowl our first national title, dad got us season tickets the following year and it’s been a lifelong love affair

Unfortunately missed that NC game (saw it on TV) but was there to see the Nebraska-UM '88 OB game. JJ's last year. Seeing the NC game live must have been quite a memorable experience though. The energy in that place must have been unreal!

I was 15 when we won our first national championship, living in Orlando, back when we could barely find anything on TV or in the newspapers.

I enrolled at UM in 1986, and we promptly went #2, #1, #2, #1 over my first 4 years at UM.

Had Canes gear growing up, watched the Fiesta Bowl on TV, was in Miami for the Orange Bowl the year after. I was always a fan to some extent but I became a dedicated fan in 05 watching all the games and what not. It's been a frustrating downhill ride.

Born and raised in Miami. Family moved to San Diego for a year, so we missed the 1984 Orange Bowl in-person—but watched the game on TV (a month before my 10th birthday) and that was it. Kenny Calhoun's tipped two-point conversion opp was just electric.

Family owned All Sports (allCanes) from 1974-2016. Grew up working there, going to games at the Orange Bowl, etc. in that Decade of Dominance era—four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year of high school. With no MLB during that era, no NBA for most of it and the Dolphins (re: Shula) never drafting any Canes (or winning many meaningful games)—the sum of all those great parts made it easy to go all-in on the Canes.

Canes Baseball was also a joy in that era. Grew up going to Ron Fraser's baseball camp and spending summers on UM's campus. An absolutely glorious time to grow up in Miami and to support "The U".

Advertisement
Born and raised in Miami. Family moved to San Diego for a year, so we missed the 1984 Orange Bowl in-person—but watched the game on TV (a month before my 10th birthday) and that was it. Kenny Calhoun's tipped two-point conversion opp was just electric.

Family owned All Sports (allCanes) from 1974-2016. Grew up working there, going to games at the Orange Bowl, etc. in that Decade of Dominance era—four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year of high school. With no MLB during that era, no NBA for most of it and the Dolphins (re: Shula) never drafting any Canes (or winning many meaningful games)—the sum of all those great parts made it easy to go all-in on the Canes.

Canes Baseball was also a joy in that era. Grew up going to Ron Fraser's baseball camp and spending summers on UM's campus. An absolutely glorious time to grow up in Miami and to support "The U".

So who was AllCanes sold to? Someone told me "the UM bookstore", but I think there is an outside corporate owner of the UM bookstore now.

And what is the deal with Aventura? Is that the bookstore too, or are the two stores separately owned/operated?

I have been very disappointed with the website lately (I live in Orlando).

Moved to this country (south Florida ) August 24th, 2001 just in time to witness the greatest team of all time. Then as I did a little more research I realized most of my favorite players (Irvin, Sapp, Lewis, James) went to the U and then I realized Dwayne the ******* Rock went to this U as well and I was like —- ****, this school produces legends

Advertisement
I was nearing the top of K2 when I saw a light in the distance. At first I thought it was just the lack of oxygen, but as it approached I realized it was much more. After landing a mere 50 feet from me, a small figure stepped out. We couldn't really communicate verbally, so it started using hand signals. Over and over, it threw up this U looking sign. "What does it mean?" As it took off, it was engulfed in orange and green smoke.

After returning home I saw a Miami game on TV. It all came together in that moment. Life had meaning.

Pretty easy. Lived a couple of blocks from campus . Always used to hear the band practice through the week. JJ and staff are used to jog after practice by my house every day.

Advertisement
One of the few teams on TV consistently where I lived in NY during the 80s. Most of my family is ND fans so I loved the Canes even more.

I was born and raised in Alabama. Everybody here thought you could only root for two teams growing up. I hated both. And still do. They clan schools to me. I saw The Playmaker catch a pass against Oklahoma and score. The crowd almost tore his jersey off, it was a done deal for me!

Moved to Miami in mid 70's from DC and parents bought seasons tickets for family. Tickets were dirt cheap in 1977 so we became diehards.

Advertisement
Back