You think Miami has been bad at recruiting in state talent?

Andrew

All American
Administrator
Here is a list of players that went to high school in GA and got drafted. You will noticed one college missing from the list.

112Deshaun WatsonQBGainesvilleClemsonTexans
121Jarrad DavisILBCamden CountyFloridaLions
123Evan EngramTEHillgroveMississippiGiants
244Gerald EverettTEColumbiaSouth AlabamaRams
254Raekwon McMillanILBLiberty CountyOhio StateDolphins
255Dalvin TomlinsonDLHenry CountyAlabamaGiants
367Alvin KamaraRBNorcrossTennesseeSaints
385Antonio GarciaOTDrewTroyPatriots
393Montravius AdamsDLDooly CountyAuburnPackers
394Cameron SuttonCBJonesboroTennesseeSteelers
3101Brendan LangleyCBKellLamarBroncos
4116Carl LawsonDEMiltonAuburnBengals
4135Joshua DobbsQBAlpharettaTennesseeSteelers
4140Wayne GallmanRBGraysonClemsonGiants
4144Grover StewartDTMitchell CountyAlbany StateColts
5175Deangelo YanceyWRMaysPurduePackers
5183Ukeme EligweILBStone MountainGeortgia SouthernChiefs
6192Alexander ArmahDLDaculaWest GeorgiaPanthers
6205Jeremiah LedbetterDEGainesvilleArkansasLions
6209Robert DavisWRNorthside-W.R.Georgia StateRedskins
6212Kofi AmichiaOTMceachernSouth FloridaPackers
6217Corey LevinOGDaculaChattanoogaTitans
7222Jalen MyrickCBSavannah Christ.MinnesotaJaguars
7225Isaac RochellDLELCANotre DameChargers
7230Josh Harvey-ClemonsSLowndesLouisvilleRedskins
7233Harrison ButkerKWestminsterGeorgia TechPanthers
7235Josh HolseyCBCreeksideAuburnRedskins
7240Marquez WilliamsFBClarke CentralMiamiJaguars
7249Chris CarsonRBParkviewOklahoma StateSeahawks

Advertisement
Wow, didnt know all those guys came from Georgia. I know Josh Harvey-Clemons was at Georgia before he went to Louisville, but the point remains the same...

For some reason UF and UGA talk about how Richt had no threat recruiting in-state in Georgia, which is clearly false.

Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Advertisement
If Richt keep plugging away at the youth football programs in South Florida that will never happen at Da U.

hopefully Richt has learned. good coaches usually learn from their mistake the 2nd or third time around.

Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Well Dalvin Cook would have if not for character issues. Love him or hate him he's a top 5 talent.

Also interesting how instate talent or not, he consistently had top recruiting classes at Georgia. A couple questions to kick around, does it matter that all that talent went elsewhere because Richt had good classes anyways, or should he have focused more in-state and could he have done more with the in-state talent?

In relation to the data in the OP, it's a stark contrast to the big push to sign South Florida kids and cherry pick the national talents ala DJ Johnson and Brevin Jordan

Advertisement
Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Clemson,etc are not that far from the state of Georgia.
In fact, I venture to think that some of those Georgia kids grew up in areas closer to those out-of-state
schools than UGA.
It is sort of the same deal that VT has had with UNC with regards to recruiting the Tidewater area.
Having said all this, still not a good list for Richt, which is perhaps why he is no longer coaching in
Athens.

Here is a list of players that went to high school in GA and got drafted. You will noticed one college missing from the list.

112Deshaun WatsonQBGainesvilleClemsonTexans
121Jarrad DavisILBCamden CountyFloridaLions
123Evan EngramTEHillgroveMississippiGiants
244Gerald EverettTEColumbiaSouth AlabamaRams
254Raekwon McMillanILBLiberty CountyOhio StateDolphins
255Dalvin TomlinsonDLHenry CountyAlabamaGiants
367Alvin KamaraRBNorcrossTennesseeSaints
385Antonio GarciaOTDrewTroyPatriots
393Montravius AdamsDLDooly CountyAuburnPackers
394Cameron SuttonCBJonesboroTennesseeSteelers
3101Brendan LangleyCBKellLamarBroncos
4116Carl LawsonDEMiltonAuburnBengals
4135Joshua DobbsQBAlpharettaTennesseeSteelers
4140Wayne GallmanRBGraysonClemsonGiants
4144Grover StewartDTMitchell CountyAlbany StateColts
5175Deangelo YanceyWRMaysPurduePackers
5183Ukeme EligweILBStone MountainGeortgia SouthernChiefs
6192Alexander ArmahDLDaculaWest GeorgiaPanthers
6205Jeremiah LedbetterDEGainesvilleArkansasLions
6209Robert DavisWRNorthside-W.R.Georgia StateRedskins
6212Kofi AmichiaOTMceachernSouth FloridaPackers
6217Corey LevinOGDaculaChattanoogaTitans
7222Jalen MyrickCBSavannah Christ.MinnesotaJaguars
7225Isaac RochellDLELCANotre DameChargers
7230Josh Harvey-ClemonsSLowndesLouisvilleRedskins
7233Harrison ButkerKWestminsterGeorgia TechPanthers
7235Josh HolseyCBCreeksideAuburnRedskins
7240Marquez WilliamsFBClarke CentralMiamiJaguars
7249Chris CarsonRBParkviewOklahoma StateSeahawks

By normal standards, An HC with as abysmal a recruiting record in his own backyard should be fired by the State Flagship University he is employed by; other D1 programs in talent-rich environs need to think long and hard about hiring him...Oh wait.

If Richt bombs, it's not that Atlanta-based Andrew didn't warn us; this is one of his many posts of a similar vein.

Also interesting how instate talent or not, he consistently had top recruiting classes at Georgia. A couple questions to kick around, does it matter that all that talent went elsewhere because Richt had good classes anyways, or should he have focused more in-state and could he have done more with the in-state talent?

In relation to the data in the OP, it's a stark contrast to the big push to sign South Florida kids and cherry pick the national talents ala DJ Johnson and Brevin Jordan
Yeah, I never got the impression from UGA fans that recruiting was the problem with Richt. In fact I thought it was the opposite -- that he underachieved despite consistently having top 10 recruiting classes. In any event, if the 2018 class holds up I couldn't care less about his last few recruiting classes at UGA.

Advertisement

And as much crap as we gave Golden about New Jersey, our first round draft pick was from there lol.

I just went through the 247 recruiting classes for Georgia during Richt's tenure.

Lots of Georgia players in almost every class, so that leads me to believe either:
- Richt lost the recruiting battle on those players listed above or didn't heavily recruit them
- Richt had other recruits out-of-state ranked higher than those in-state
- Those recruits wanted to leave the state and Richt took plan B in-state guys

Advertisement
If your team loses and a bunch of instate talent gets drafted then your fans tend to be mad. If UGA would have one, then no one would care.

Tennessee has always recruited Georgia, especially North Georgia, hard simply by virtue of its own state not producing enough talent or the talent in the state taking a dim view of the Vols, starting with guys like Corn Elder:

Butch Jones vows aggressive UT recruiting | Times Free Press

Auburn's proximity to West Georgia makes it the closer big time program to many Columbus and Valdosta/Tifton-area recruits.

So Richt didn't inherit a wall, fence, or even police do not cross tape around his state.

Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Clemson,etc are not that far from the state of Georgia.
In fact, I venture to think that some of those Georgia kids grew up in areas closer to those out-of-state
schools than UGA.
It is sort of the same deal that VT has had with UNC with regards to recruiting the Tidewater area.
Having said all this, still not a good list for Richt, which is perhaps why he is no longer coaching in
Athens.
Definitely

Tennessee has always recruited Georgia, especially North Georgia, hard simply by virtue of its own state not producing enough talent or the talent in the state taking a dim view of the Vols, starting with guys like Corn Elder:

Butch Jones vows aggressive UT recruiting | Times Free Press

Auburn's proximity to West Georgia makes it the closer big time program to many Columbus and Valdosta/Tifton-area recruits.

So Richt didn't inherit a wall, fence, or even police do not cross tape around his state.

You could say the same for FSU and UF. That being said most of these recruits came from Metro Atlanta, which would make GT and UGA the closest P5 schools. Also Auburn may be near Columbus (which I don't see any players on the list), but it is far from the Valdosta area. Those areas would be prime areas from UF.

Advertisement
Back