You guys are clueless if you think this scheme will work....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey littleDik maybe you can use actual facts for An argument next time instead of an old espn article

Advertisement
Is the OP the one that made a post making fun of Jim Kelly's cancer?

Dude I lost my pops, uncle and cousin to cancer in the last 3 years... Cancer in my eyes is undefeated... In my eyes it doesnt matter if you beat cancer b/c it does so much to your body that you'll tap out eventually...

Nice try at backtracking off your terrible comment.

stop getting off subject pzzy,,,,

207.gif

actual results at temple aren't tangible data? 16th scoring and 16 total D.. that's more tangible than 3 years with subpar talent while rebuilding.

No, no its not. Al Groh's defense was very good at UVA. Mickey Andrews had some beasts of defenses in the 90s. Didn't keep either of them from getting **** canned after their defenses went to **** and were ranked in the 100s. Only at Miami is this **** allowed and then promoted with some bull**** about Temple.

I like how you also claimed Temple has less talent but then turn around and say we have subpar talent LOL Which is it?

Golden is a great recruiter, great identifier of talent, and also a great developer of talent. So will lrg please explain why UM's talent level after three years is currently below Temple's when Golden was there?

Dont recall where I said we had less talent than temple did, please point that out.

You claimed the defense worked at Temple with less talent but in your next post you talk of our subpar talent. Seems to me, by your own words, this staff is used to doing more with less so why aren't they doing it right now?

Yes, less talent at temple was able to run this scheme. Since he recruited well, he had good talent relative to the conference. The point is, that those guys who are less heralded recruits than the type of guys we're bringing in, were able to run the scheme successfully, why, all of a suddenly, won't it work with our guys?

I think the scheme can work, as long as the players make the plays. I dont care what you call, if the guy who is in position to make the play doesn't make the play. Or, misses the tackle... In the end its about the players making plays, we have not done enough of that. I completely agree with the guy that said that if it does not work then yes it is time for a change, but as for now we have not had the playmakers to make this or any defense work.

The 4-3 that Jimmy ran is the reason the spread offense is so prevelant now. The spread/read option CRUSHES the 4-3 with rushing ends, they let the end go, block the smaller LBs with the T, force the end to make the decision between qb/rb and its a ten yard gain every time. Being multiple is the only answer to stopping the spread offenses. However, its tough to run, you need great DT's and big LBs that can run enough to allow you to stay in base defense on 2nd and 8 or 3rd and 6. How many times have you seen Oregon run for a first down on 3rd and 8? They do it all the time, and its even easier to do against a nickel or dime defense.

AG is too smart for me to believe that he has no clue what he is doing. He runs a classy, organized, well thought out organization. With our fan base we would have run off a Bobby Bowden, JoePa, Stoops, long ago. However, those are good/great coaches that even if they go 9-3 they are never on the hot seat. Because they have a fan base that has their back, even in down times. We need to learn to support the team/coaches/players a **** of a lot better than we do. If its not a player we are crapping on its a coach, or Donna. I mean they are the U. They are what we root for, they are the school and while they are there we need to hope like **** they do a good job because then we get to see a great product on the field. I seriously think some fans would rather be right that the scheme wont work and see us suck, so the coaches get fired and they look right. Then have this staff have any success. WTF?

Advertisement
Dorito’s tenure concluded in a blizzard of points, yards and missed tackles. In Miami's past three games, losses to FSU, Virginia Tech and Duke, the Canes gave up an average of 46 points and 573.3 yards. Opponents converted 31 of 46 third downs into first downs. Improbably, Miami fared slightly worse when opponents faced 3rd-and-7 or longer than 3rd-and-6 or less.

Funny how you just switch a couple of things around and this sounds exactly like us.

Yes because the point of that article was to say that all teams - 3-4, 4-3, whatever - use 1-gap principles and prioritize being able to adjust through multiple fronts and subpackages. We run vanilla base ALL DAY LONG and adjust for no one. My favorite example was the Wake game where they ran wide splits with a spread short-passing attack and we didn't adjust for 3 quarters.

Advertisement

More complex passing games in the NFL require more nickel packages.
At the college level not so much so.

The stupidity on this board increases by the day. NFL and college offenses use the same passing concepts, and last year there were 45 FBS teams that threw for over 250 yards per game. Even if there was a discrepancy between NFL and college passing games, there are still more spread teams in college which necessitates greater use of subpackages and additional DBs.

I bet you thought it was a good idea when Dorito matched up Cornelius on Campanaro in the slot though against WF. Who needs a nickel corner or a subpackage when you can run your base defense and put a LB on the team's best receiver! Football never changes in college so it's a good thing we have coaches running an antiquated defense too!

Do you guys even watch football or do you just post on MBs and pretend you know the game?

Last edited:
Advertisement
And Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick taught Groh the scheme. Whats your point? There are some significant gaps in your reasoning. Groh has a good reputation. He's old as fu*k. Big deal.

Argument shouldn't be whether or not the scheme itself can work. With the right personnel, it certainly can.

Problem is, and we've had plenty of guys argue this, the scheme we run isn't fit for the personnel, particularly in regard to how we recruit in south Florida.

I think the scheme is good, but it's too complex for the college game. I think it had the same problem at Ga Tech that it has at UM. Pete Carroll recognized that there were a lot of things he does with the Seahawks that he could not do at USC.

Why it worked at UVA? I don't know. Smarter players maybe? UVA is a very selective school. I know UM is supposed to be, but I've got to think they relax their standards for south Florida athletes who don't come from very good public schools in south Florida (from what I've been told). Why it worked at Temple? Who knows? Easier competition?

I just think JJ's 4-3 was simple, you just told the kids to pin their ears back, penetrate the gaps, and get upfield. You attacked. None of the complicated stuff I think the defense now demands. When I went to AG's first game, at Miami, it was the first time I'd seen a game up close in decades, since I got a 50 yd line seat. I'd see all the hand signals and communications by the UM DBs and guys trying to tell other guys what to do just before the snap. I saw the same on offense. I kind of sensed confusion; I didn't know if this was just normal repositioning just before a snap, or if guys were out of position and more experienced players were trying to communicate and get them set up right. People used to tell me that Butch's first years looked like a Chinese fire drill on the sidelines, nobody knowing whether to go into the game or come out. Some of it might come from the fact that south Florida kids are athletic but not particularly well coached in HS.

I just think that maybe AG and D'O need to simplify things and take advantage of explosiveness and athletic ability. Turn the kids loose and let them attack upfield. You'll give up some big plays (JJ said that always happens with his philosophy) but you'll make a **** of a lot more. That might have been what turned off Valentine, among other things (including our unwillingness to match LSU's offer).

it didnt really work at UVA. they had one decent season iirc. the rest was trash

More complex passing games in the NFL require more nickel packages.
At the college level not so much so.

The stupidity on this board increases by the day. NFL and college offenses use the same passing concepts, and last year there were 45 FBS teams that threw for over 250 yards per game. Even if there was a discrepancy between NFL and college passing games, there are still more spread teams in college which necessitates greater use of subpackages and additional DBs.

I bet you thought it was a good idea when Dorito matched up Cornelius on Campanaro in the slot though against WF. Who needs a nickel corner or a subpackage when you can run your base defense and put a LB on the team's best receiver! Football never changes in college so it's a good thing we have coaches running an antiquated defense too!

Do you guys even watch football or do you just post on MBs and pretend you know the game?

No...most of the posters on here play NCAA on ps3 or Xbox...they play on easy level and think they know schemes and coaching because of it. They think recruiting is easy because they play video games. The canes have won 10 national titles in a row for them and they think it translates to real life.

Its become comical how many expert defensive coordinators and recruiting experts are on here but can't get hired at a D3 school

Here is a UVA game from 2004 when they reportedly had a very good defense under AL Golden, does anything look eerily familiar? An keep in mind UM worked them up and down the field that year, so he saw first hand what elite athletes can do to hs scheme.

http://youtu.be/vEfOoRtM_2A

http://youtu.be/hYEbgipN0g4

watching that 2004 team just makes me sick compared to this team now. that was one of our worst defenses of that era and it is still light years better than the dumpster fire that we have now.

get F.A.G. out of my ******* face

Advertisement

Dude I lost my pops, uncle and cousin to cancer in the last 3 years... Cancer in my eyes is undefeated... In my eyes it doesnt matter if you beat cancer b/c it does so much to your body that you'll tap out eventually...

People need to be reminded of what you said about Jim Kelly. I'll be sure and bring it up any time I see you post.

Your attempt at backtracking and attempting to justify your comment are almost as pathetic as your original statement about Kelly.

Here is a UVA game from 2004 when they reportedly had a very good defense under AL Golden, does anything look eerily familiar? An keep in mind UM worked them up and down the field that year, so he saw first hand what elite athletes can do to hs scheme.

watching that 2004 team just makes me sick compared to this team now. that was one of our worst defenses of that era and it is still light years better than the dumpster fire that we have now.

get F.A.G. out of my ******* face

well to be honest...Merriweather was a stud here and 2x pro bowl in the NFL...none of the last 4 years even got drafted..Campbell and beason were hot shot freshman as well......but I agree as bad as the 04 team was and coached they would *** stomp the 2013 team...2014 is TBD.

get F.A.G. out of my ****ing face

Criminal that the 2004 defense wasn't a top 5 defense with all that NFL talent.

People need to be reminded of what you said about Jim Kelly. I'll be sure and bring it up any time I see you post.

Your attempt at backtracking and attempting to justify your comment are almost as pathetic as your original statement about Kelly.

Ppl need to be reminded of all of your usernames mane... dammit mane... just use one name ****** jack...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back