Yearby

Advertisement
Also, let's not forget about Gus gentleman. Coach Richt has praised and complimented the young man regarding his ability. Coach Richt has an affinity for big backs and I think if Gus can stay healthy and consistently keep his pad level down, he will have a role in coach Richts offense.

Yep, I am also happy that his playing weight will be closer to 230. He's been too heavy in the past.

Last edited:
Definitely looked like he lost some quicks last year.

image.jpg

I thought he needed the extra weight given the workload we gave him. He was never a fast player and likes to run inside. Clearly, he produced.

With Gus back and Walton emerging, he has the luxury of leaning up.

Advertisement
15% body fat for a kid with his skill set is beyond words. It takes a special kind of ******* to look at Yearby in high school and think "man I would love to see him play at 15%.....he would really be something"

I don't think al was aware of there being different ways to put on weight.

All 3 backs will get meaningful carries. I don't see much separation between the 3. Gus will need to shake off some rust, so I'd expect the other two to get more carries at first.

Advertisement
Lean, mean, and fast were Miami keys to success. That is where we need to return. Mark was in SEC and big backs are more common there. Let's hope now that he is home, he decides to like the backs that get it done and not some predetermined size. Hey, I like 6'3'" 240lbs with 4.4 speed too, but I like first downs, red zone scores, and long house runs the most.

9% Body Fat Yearby>>>Walton

This Rooster still sorely lacks a premier running back.

Freshman Yearby had over 600 yards behind Duke Johnson, Golden and company took away so much of his quickness it was night and day.

He came in as a problem, and they reduced him big time that sophomore year by turning him into Mike Hart.

We have not seen Walton enough as of yet. Under CMR he will get plenty of opportunities. I believe Walton may be our best back with Gus being #2 followed by Yearby. It will all come down to injuries and execution but I do see Walton as our unquestioned #1 back by mid season.

Advertisement
It still amazes me how a coach took a teach and stuffed their faces with Oreos and Twinkies to attempt to achieve a competitive edge.

I thought he needed the extra weight given the workload we gave him. He was never a fast player and likes to run inside. Clearly, he produced.

Is there any science to support the idea that adding fat helps RBs deal with an increased workload positively or assists in reducing the risk of injury? I can go along with wanting him to add good size through weight training and proper nutrition, but that's not what he did. His body fat was way too high.

Is there any science to support the idea that adding fat helps RBs deal with an increased workload positively or assists in reducing the risk of injury? I can go along with wanting him to add good size through weight training and proper nutrition, but that's not what he did. His body fat was way too high.

Agreed. Plus this is college, not the nfl. There is an endless list of little guy rbs that were successfully the feature back on their team. Being huge isn't a prerequisite for being the feature back in college.

Advertisement

It's not just injuries, it's about having strength and not wearing down.

Elite quickness is great when you're a change-of-pace player with a full tank, but Yearby needed to be able to take contact and break tackles throughout the game. He's an inside runner without speed. His production (1K yards, 5 yards per carry) is right where I expected it given the lack of a dominant OL or quality playcaller.

Agreed. Plus this is college, not the nfl. There is an endless list of little guy rbs that were successfully the feature back on their team. Being huge isn't a prerequisite for being the feature back in college.

Those guys are usually short, stocky guys that break tackles, i.e. Mike Hart and Troy Davis.

Advertisement
Back