Xavier Restrepo season expectations

Is this the thread where you admit you expect the season to be cancelled? :6fps6:

/love the kid

Advertisement
Dont know if all the WRs do this but there was a video of him doing a one-legged squat on a BOSU balance trainer.
Think he was also holding a dumbell between his hands.
Regardless it was pretty impressive.

I think he has that short area quickness that Likens likes.
So I see him getting some PT for sure and if he initally plays well, he'll get more time and not redshirt.
What would be impressive to me is if they toss them a medicine ball while balancing on that thing....

My expectations are sky high for this kid. Don’t think the Berrios comparisons are completely accurate.

Brax was a tough player, but this kid seems to have that dog in him.

Think he’s going to surprise early and never look back, especially in this offense.
He’s a better player than berrios. X will look like senior berrios as a sophomore

Let's discuss X here.

Baller, running 4.51 at 196 pounds
Plays both sides
Runs great routes
Tough, hard working kid
Body is college ready and might be ahead of upper classmates as far as physicality

I see him playing a lot on special teams and even breaking in the WR rotation earlier rather then later.

Thoughts?

I have never really expected anything from a true freshman, except for special teams excellence.

It is fantastic if a true freshman can contribute on offense or defense in that first year, but it is very rare.

Expect nothing. Be happy if expectations are exceeded.

In my unprofessional opinion X will kill it in both this offense and under Likens as X has the traits Likens has stated are needed for success. That said, it may be year 2 before this is actually realized.

Last edited:
Advertisement
if social media means anything (probably doesn't) - this kid, Pope and Harley are working their asses off.

Lifting and on the field running routes everyday.

IMO I'm not looking for freshmen saviors anymore. Let him get his reps and develop.
Doing returns on ST will be a nice way to get his feet wet.

Unfortunately we are gonna need all the Freshman big time. We have 4 returning WR's, one of which redshirted in Payton. The other 3, what have they really done? Harley is avg, Pope has under performed and Wiggins has flashed some big play potential. Truth is we could use a freshman savior ala Richards back in '16.

When examining our options in the passing game, it's important to step back and view them as an aggregate and not pigeonholed. I can name 10 players who may feature in the passing game before naming a single true freshman. All this talk about depending on the true freshmen is a bit overblown, don't you think?

Harley - our leading returning receiver
Jordan - can play TE, H-Back, FB, WR
Wiggins - our best deep threat
Mallory - can play TE, H-Back, FB, WR
Pope - can get open inside a phone booth
Harris - has displayed ability as a pass catcher
Payton - budding star according to sources
Few - entering 4th year out of HS, was in rotation in 2019
Hodges - all he does is catch TDs
Burns - caught a TD against Duke

slot: Harley / (Knighton?) / Few / Restrepo

flanker: Pope / Payton / Smith

split end: Wiggins / (Mallory?) / Redding / Worsham

Last edited:
Advertisement
He’s tough! I like him over Mike Harley any day!!!!!!

Give me:
X - Wiggins, M. Redding
Z - J. Payton, K. Smith
Slot - Pope, Restrepo

WR I don’t really care to see... Harley, Worsham,

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think you're going to see us throwing the ball a lot this year, he fits this type of offense to a T working out of the slot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really like Restrepo's fit in the spread.
Even with throwing the ball a lot. You got jordan, Pope, Payton, Wiggins, Harley, and Mallory all ahead of him. He isnt getting 30 catches

Advertisement
I'm interested to see if he can earn a job returning kicks/punts. If not, I'll predict he sees time in 4 but gets a shirt. Really depends on how much he can show in Fall.

We may not have a ton of WR but we have three, maybe four tight ends who can play. I expect to see Mallory take a lot of WR reps.

Advertisement
Back