WTH happened to FSU in South Florida?

Advertisement
It seems like we have heard nothing about FSU recruiting in the Tri County area over the past 2 cycles.

A question for the South Florida recruiting gurus. Is there a concerted effort on their part to recruit North/Central Florida even more, Georgia? Is it their budget concerns? Haha.

It just feels weird to not hear of them on top guys, when in my lifetime we've battled them for every top prospect in South Florida. Even the guys they are getting don't seem to be guys we're going head to head on. It doesn't make sense as they do have a historical pull, offer two games in the Miami area during a kid's career etc. Florida has had more juice in South Florida than FSU which is not historically the case.

I, and all of the older fans, remember them getting some top 4-5 star guys over the years: Marvin Jones, Snoop Minnis, Samari Rolle, Rock Preston, Lamont Green, Derrick Gibson, Dalvin Cook, Kelvin Benjamin, Rashad Greene, Nick O'Leary, Devonte Freeman, the Crocketts, Brian Burns, Tarvarus McFadden, Lamarcus Joyner, Corey Simon, Devin Bush, Anquan Boldin, Xavier Rhodes etc.

This is what they've gotten over the last 5 cycles, spanning 3 different head coaches: How many of these guys did we really want? Not many in my estimation. Definitely a big step down from the quality they've pulled historically. I would argue of the whole list, Samuel is the only semi-impact guy. Definitely no super stars like the above list contains. Its great for us, just trying to figure out why they've been so invisible. Recruits don't seem to really mention them in interviews anymore.

2017:
Stanford Samuels- Legacy
James Blackman- Didn't recruit him hard

2018:
Asante Samuel- Ended being plan B kid for us apparently as we pushed real late

2019:
Jarvis Brownlee- Was likely a take for us
Malcolm Ray- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Maurice Smith- Ended being plan B/C kid for us apparently as we pushed a bit real late
Dontae Lucas- Recruited hard, Telly special. We would have taken.
Akeem Dent- Was a take for us

2020:
Kenton Poitier- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Lloyd Willis- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Bryan Robinson- Was committed here and then seemed like we didn't push hard later

2021:
Kevin Knowles-Appears to be a plan B kid for us
Same thing with UM they are not winning

who gives a flying **** why our biggest recruiting rival is not recruiting our city well? yeah i can't come up with a single reason why that's important

I get the point to the thread but still feel it’s irrelevant because FSU has been nearly irrelevant down here for many years. Also, Miami gets South Florida kids all the time, most being starters, how has that paid off for us? At the end, the HC either capitalizes on the talent down here like Jimbo, Urban, Butch did or **** the bed like Golden, Randy, Mullen and Urkel. Díaz isn’t off to the greatest start, either. Miami needs to take care of business down here and the FSU’s and Florida’s of the world are irrelevant. Again, who gives a ****?

Miami has taken back its brand and is now the preference for most south Florida recruits in terms of in state schools. When jimbo was at FSU that wasn’t always the case as he was an elite recruiter. Taggart was a lot worse than jimbo and norvell is worse than taggart which is crazy to even think about

Advertisement
They have very weak connections to SFLA and a weak brand to sell right now. I wonder if Brandon Harris will pay dividends with the next class, @Liberty City El can probably answer that. But Norvell got a late start, so he was already behind the 8 ball, they have weak connections, and they weren't even able to use the spring/summer to get kids on campus to visit. Recipe for disaster.

And with all that sad, **** em. Hope they stay irrelevant in SFLA. Not having top talent go there is big. No Devonta Freemans to sell Dalvin Cook, etc.

Last edited:
Couldn't happen to a better group. My hate for them went to another level when Jimbo and crab legs won that ship. It's been hilarious watching them ever sinse Jimbo left with all the **** they talked.

who gives a flying **** why our biggest recruiting rival is not recruiting our city well? yeah i can't come up with a single reason why that's important
I miss the days of the Miami/FSU recruiting battles down here. You could almost assume those would be the top two for most of the good prospects down here. And you knew most of them would be playing on one sideline or the other in such a good rivalry. Now, it is usually a mix of Miami and some random group of SEC schools.

Advertisement
They suck is what happen.

The only guys they have with some sort of connects maybe Dugans, and Brandon Harris. Brandon may be able to do somethng at BTW if they have some guys worth an offer in the next few.

Haggins doesnt really come down here to recruit and he would be a guy that can pull stuff.

I think they focus more fromc entral to north fla...and then ther old recruiting grounds at their prior schools.

i just looked it up to be sure and i see we're talking about *our* brandon harris huh? ****

The only guys they have with some sort of connects maybe Dugans, and Brandon Harris. Brandon may be able to do somethng at BTW if they have some guys worth an offer in the next few.

Haggins doesnt really come down here to recruit and he would be a guy that can pull stuff.

I think they focus more fromc entral to north fla...and then ther old recruiting grounds at their prior schools.
There staff only has connections with guys in Texas and Louisiana. They won’t be a problem for us unless they have legacy kid like they will with Marvin Jones jr.

Advertisement

Just looking at their new staff backgrounds, it’s a lot of Memphis area, Tennessee in general, Carolinas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and some Texas. Hopefully it will be a permanent move away from here.

Exactly it's been noted that the school in

Exactly, it's been noted that the school in general is having financial issues. Jimbo asked for an increase in facilities and recruiting budgets. They told him no. So he left for A&M.
And one of their ex coaches is suing them. (see Nole tears post 9,692)

Advertisement
It seems like we have heard nothing about FSU recruiting in the Tri County area over the past 2 cycles.

A question for the South Florida recruiting gurus. Is there a concerted effort on their part to recruit North/Central Florida even more, Georgia? Is it their budget concerns? Haha.

It just feels weird to not hear of them on top guys, when in my lifetime we've battled them for every top prospect in South Florida. Even the guys they are getting don't seem to be guys we're going head to head on. It doesn't make sense as they do have a historical pull, offer two games in the Miami area during a kid's career etc. Florida has had more juice in South Florida than FSU which is not historically the case.

I, and all of the older fans, remember them getting some top 4-5 star guys over the years: Marvin Jones, Snoop Minnis, Samari Rolle, Rock Preston, Lamont Green, Derrick Gibson, Dalvin Cook, Kelvin Benjamin, Rashad Greene, Nick O'Leary, Devonte Freeman, the Crocketts, Brian Burns, Tarvarus McFadden, Lamarcus Joyner, Corey Simon, Devin Bush, Anquan Boldin, Xavier Rhodes etc.

This is what they've gotten over the last 5 cycles, spanning 3 different head coaches: How many of these guys did we really want? Not many in my estimation. Definitely a big step down from the quality they've pulled historically. I would argue of the whole list, Samuel is the only semi-impact guy. Definitely no super stars like the above list contains. Its great for us, just trying to figure out why they've been so invisible. Recruits don't seem to really mention them in interviews anymore.

2017:
Stanford Samuels- Legacy
James Blackman- Didn't recruit him hard

2018:
Asante Samuel- Ended being plan B kid for us apparently as we pushed real late

2019:
Jarvis Brownlee- Was likely a take for us
Malcolm Ray- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Maurice Smith- Ended being plan B/C kid for us apparently as we pushed a bit real late
Dontae Lucas- Recruited hard, Telly special. We would have taken.
Akeem Dent- Was a take for us

2020:
Kenton Poitier- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Lloyd Willis- Didn't recruit him at all to my memory
Bryan Robinson- Was committed here and then seemed like we didn't push hard later

2021:
Kevin Knowles-Appears to be a plan B kid for us

Judge Judy Bfd GIF by Lifetime Telly - Find & Share on GIPHY

Advertisement
Back