WTH happened to FSU in South Florida?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Cool, we got FSU out of here and and UF fans begging their staff to stop recruiting Dade county. Now we gotta figure a way to keep Bama, Clem$on and O$U out of here too
That answer is simple. WIN!!! Win the Coastal every year and then break thru with an ACC championship and CFP appearance. Then the top 5 classes begin.

good post OP

this reminds me of something @DMoney talked about at the end of the jimbo era. after they won the title they started recruiting nationally, the culture got disrupted, and it unraveled from there. honestly it's pretty shocking that taggart wasn't better recruiting down here.
That is what happens to every Florida team and why it is cyclical. Miami sucks in the mid-90s. They are forced to evaluate and recruit the uncovered gems in the area. They build up to the 2000-2002 teams. Coker gets big eyed at the national big fish and the culture gets eroded. It is not to say we need to 100% cut off national efforts or that it is not a different recruiting game now, but this is the rinse and repeat of the Big 3.

This was the main concern for several of my friends who are FSU fans. Norvell kept Dell (like he had a choice) and Dugans, but the SFL ties are sorely lacking on that staff.

I personally like Norvell a lot as a pure football coach. But he’s never recruited at this level and he assembled a staff that has zero ties to the most fertile recruiting ground on the planet.

Advertisement
good post OP

this reminds me of something @DMoney talked about at the end of the jimbo era. after they won the title they started recruiting nationally, the culture got disrupted, and it unraveled from there. honestly it's pretty shocking that taggart wasn't better recruiting down here.
[/QUOTE

Strange in that Taggart did ok in South Florida when at USF. Did his time there coincide with Telly being there?

Norvell is a good coach but in the wrong situation/not a fit. I think they’ll definitely be better on the field in comparison to Taggart (not hard to beat). They won’t, however, have the same talent they were able to rack up under Fisher and will be a perennial 8-10 win team never beating Clemson and not holding an edge over us.

It’ll be a parallel to Mullen at UF. Good playcaller and solid coach (and not as weird) but unable to recruit to the degree that is needed to compete for championships.

Advertisement
Norvell’s crew of junkies have zero SoFla ties. They are non-existent down here and I love it. It will continue to be that way too until they show something on the field. This is shaping up to be their lowest rated class in quite some time. They don’t have much momentum with any bigtime guys outside of the WR from LA who was set to commit to them months ago and the Shambre Jackson kid. Harvey is flirting bigtime with UF, AU, and TAMU and isnt the clear lay up he was once thought to be. Also, they still cant recruit any blue chip OL to save their lives. I really hope Bama turns up the heat on that QB cause that would absolutely break them.

Mmmmmmm sweet sweet nole tears....

Advertisement
Good post, OP.

This is a big reason for their decline. A lot of crappy national busts. Their 2013 championship team had six starters from South Florida- Devonta Freeman, Nick O'Leary, Kelvin Benjamin, Rashad Greene, Bobby Hart and Lamarcus Joyner.

tenor (92).gif

Couldn't care less

good post OP

To his credit, this has been Saban's greatest strength IMO. He started out with mostly Bama and SE guys during his first couple of titles and then branched out to other states that they had never really recruited.

He got studs from those states but didn't lose the original culture and identity. He's done a good job of separating the true winners from bandwagon recruits. We've seen the opposite happen here with Coker, FSU under Jimbo etc.

I think the next test case will be Dabo. They are more national now than ever, will the success keep up? Smartly, he's focused on QB and DL play which will help his cause.

Advertisement
Back