WR's Coach Candidates

Fire patke, Banda, and Rumph if they don't want to take analyst positions. Move Stroud to analyst too. Hire a monster DL coach. I like Ohio State D line coach but thats a pipe dream. Hire Corey Raymond as DC and hire back Barrow or Winston Moss. Im not connected with the south Florida stuff but if Telly can get signatures find a spot for him as special teams coordinator. I think Corey Raymond would leave LSU for DC title. Manny of course could heavily influence the gameplans with him while he is still green at play calling

Good coaches will not accept a job here with so much uncertainty hanging over this program and Lispy being on life support...

Advertisement
No. Other than the Charlie Strong rumor.

But I would 1,000% get rid of Patke, one of the DB coaches & put Stroud as Cheif of Staff, then go get a DL's coach.

I've been wondering whether Stroud will continue as DL coach or move back into an administrative role.

Precisely Chise.

Our staff needs an infusion of guys who can sell the program & get LOI signatures, we don't really have a dynamic ace on staff that can do that, we need one on Offense & Defense.

We're only discussing the WR's coaches now in this thread, but I sincerely hope somebody on the BOT or Highsmith if he's brought in sits Diaz down & makes him understand he needs to send Patke on his way, he's a worse recruiter than Rumph which is really saying something.

I'd get an elite recruiter at WR coach, fire Patke, find me a top tier recruiter on Defense like Cornell Ford & bring on Telly Lockette as a Special teams coach as well just as icing on the cake.

This staff needs a total reshuffle on Offense & Defense.
The makeup of the staff is bizarre. We basically have 3 DB coaches and none of them can recruit. How did that ever make sense?

Trooper Taylor, as that old article said, is not the same guy he was. No thank you. If you can connect with kids you can connect, Miami or Florida ties or not. Lamar Thomas? Lmao at that suggestion. He was fired at UK and sucks as an actual coach. His big mouth is what impresses people on this board. Aubrey Hill was indicted in the Shapiro scandal here. No. No scandal guys are needed (I also lmao at the Tosh Lupoi suggestions for defense. The guy was investigated at a big bag school and then was at Bama. Do you really think he would get away with what he has before, here? ). McDonald. No. Stop with the retreads. LMAO at Curtis Johnson.

I agree with the younger, hungrier guy who can sell the program and has some solid developmental experience already. Wyatt is a rare exception to that rule because he has maintained being a solid recruiter as he's gotten older, been recruiting well in the state of FL, been with a good offensive system, and has solid developmental background.

Guys mentioned here I like:

-Heard, Indiana (early 40s), yes please, and has lots of wrs under his mentorship getting all-conference recognition. I like the additional experience as passing game coordinator. It shows the head man trusts him to have actual input into offensive game planning and execution.

-Shepherd, Purdue (late 30s), yes please. Also a wr coach and co-OC. As I mentioned before been with Brohm and Leach, two historically good offensive minds. And was co-OC this year for the nation's number 12 passing offense (at least in ypg).

-Kirby Moore (around 30), Fresno State, yes please. As I mentioned 247 ranked him the number 1 recruiter in the MW conference last year and has some NFL guys (as well as 3 years D1 experience already). Kellen's brother.

-(new guy) Alvis Whitted (early 40s), Colorado State. Played 9 years in NFL and was a world class sprinter. Been at CSU for 8 years at least which means each coach trusts him when a new regime takes over. They had the number 15 passing offense this past year. He's coached Biletnikoff finalists and NFL guys. Oh and 3 all-american wide receivers since he arrived there. This is a great possibility as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t think the majority of our fans realize how important recruiting is and how most major teams stash monster recruiters at positions like RB, TE, WR coaches. You don’t have to be football’s inventor to coach those positions. We need some absolute recruiting killers on this staff, and we are wasting the WR position on Stumblebum.

We're obviously allergic to ever having a staff where you can simultaneously readily identify a grey beard that is worth his salt and just one dude that is a legit big time recruiter.

Theo-*******-retically this shouldn't be that hard. We should be a place where a grizzled veteran positions coach with grown children would like to end his career and where a legit recruiter can clean up due to geographical fertile grounds and make an even bigger name and more $$$ for himself.

Instead we get guys with resumes like Patke and Banda and Baker.

We absolutely need an ACE recruiter on offense and defense. I believe Manny’s initial strategy was to build a staff of teachers and technicians with one or two strong recrutiers (Fields and Hickson). Manny probably thought that, if he could develop the talent already on the roster, it would lead to more wins, which in turn leads to better recruiting. However, that didn’t happen and we were left with a staff of guys that couldn’t develop players and couldn’t recruit. In other words, complete ineptitude.

When you look at the product on the field together with the class signed, you can make the case that every single position coach and coordinator with the exception of Hickson and maybe Stroud DESERVES to be fired. Manny has already fired Enos - a no brainer. But, he is unlikely to fire many others.

I’d like to see Manny add an ACE recruiter on offense while keeping Hickson. The likely casualty is Stubbs. The first three names mentioned by LCE above are great candidates. I also think Manny should fire Barry but the replacement needs to be a technically sound and experienced coach. Strong recruiting skills at OL is a plus but bring me a technician first and foremost.

On Defense, Manny needs to bring in at least one but ideally two ACE recruiters. However, it’s well documented that the D contains Manny’s “boys” so changes are unlikely with the exception of perhaps Rumph. If it were up to me, I’d fire Banda, Rumph and Patke and replace them with a secondary coach, a new DC (make Baker the LBs coach) and a new ST’s coach. Two of those three new hires would be ACE recruiters (e.g., Lockette or Roland Smith).

Advertisement
New faces that would replace old ones? Or new faces that would be added in a support capacity? I’d take Strong over Baker any day of the week as a DC.

I think just a new face , d staff probably stays in tact. I thought rumph was the only one in danger and that’s obviously not happening. If strong says no it could just stay as is.

Garrick McGee - Longtime veteran WR's coach is an Oklahoma native, was at Arkansas under Bobby Petrino & was at Louisville with him as well, also coached with Lovie at Illinois for year & was WR's coach at Mizzou for Barry Odom.

Chris Chestnut - Started out as a GA at USF with Skip Holtz, coached briefly at Miami in 2015 as an analyst & then TE's coach during the interim year once Folden got fired, was at Tennessee St under Rod Reed & is currently WR's coach at West Kentucky with Tyson Helton (Clay Helton's younger brother) & former Tennessee OC.

Advertisement
Looks like we got
OC: Lashlee (locked in)
OL: Grimes (probable)
WR: Empty

Assuming has a good chance to be the guy. That would fill out what I was looking for.
OC: Innovative spread OC
OL: Grizzled vet, thats put pros in NFL
WR: Need to add a great recruiter to the staff

I'd also like to see 1 coach changed on the defensive side of the ball. I want Kuligowski back. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back