WR recruiting profile

If there's 8 kids we need to hit on the under the radar ones because Bama-UGA-Clemson-OhioSt will likely each take 1 apiece...now we've even got OU and TX taking kids (see 5* kid went to OU in 2021 "forget his name, Mario something i think" class and Alexis to TX in 2021.....so now that's 6 out of those 8. And that's not even COUNTING the 2 other major players in FL, the Gators and Noles........there's goes all 8.....we have to nail on our evaluations, but more importantly we have make sure we're rolling out an offense with a pulse that can consistently be in the Top 30 nationally at worse....we get kids the ball on OFF to make plays and we will not be losing kids to OU and TX, that's for sure. Big 4 will get theirs, nothing we do about that, but there's PLENTY of meat on the bone if we keep other OOS schools out of our territory for the kids we identify and want.

For example, one kid I wonder about is the kid from Chaminade, Malik Rutherford I think is his name, he signed with GaTech in 2021. If he winds up being a stud at GT he'll be another one, even though IMO we got 3 of the best available in FL, arguably 3 of the top 5 or 6 kids.
Mario Williams, Plant City, he balled in the Spring game

Advertisement
Look, it's easy to say "just get the kids that Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson are getting". Yeah no ****. Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way unless some of you guys have a lot of MCDonald's bags full of cash sitting around. That's why evaluations of the next tier of kids is so crucial for a program in Miami's position. Maximize the kids that you're actually able to sign and work your way up to the highest tier kids. The Clemson model for success is the most realistic pathway for Miami to follow.

Look, it's easy to say "just get the kids that Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson are getting". Yeah no ****. Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way unless some of you guys have a lot of MCDonald's bags full of cash sitting around. That's why evaluations of the next tier of kids is so crucial for a program in Miami's position. Maximize the kids that you're actually able to sign and work your way up to the highest tier kids. The Clemson model for success is the most realistic pathway for Miami to follow.
So it's the BAGS excuse again? I mean MAYBE you are right, but does that mean Leonard Taylor and James Williams were "BAG PROOF"???

That excuse gets old to me, keep some of these studs here, it's their job, that's my take anyhow. We are the HOME TEAM, make that mean something like most schools do. **** if it is "BAGS" drop them ****'s, whatever it takes. I can't stand losing football games to Louisiana Tech, GT, FIU, Duke or getting curb stopped by Clemson/UNC.

I do like the Clemson model you mentioned, just need to find our Dabo and get rid of Blake. Let's make that happen, DTP for AD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will contribute to your campaign.

TY Hilton fiu, Antonio Brown central michigan, John Brown pitt st, Isaiah Mckenzie didn't do much at Georgia until his junior year.
A lot of colleges passed on them not just us.
The four first rounders are a counter point to this thread since all of them have prototypical size the NFL loves.

TY Hilton and Isaiah McKenzie had half the board screaming for an offer. Those are bad misses. The other two are actual sleepers.

And guys like Ridley and Jeudy aren't a counter-point at all. They're incredibly dynamic athletes who also have size. That's why everyone wanted them.

They aren't examples of evaluation issues, they're examples of acquisition issues. We aren't going to reach the elite level until we start winning some of those battles. Do you disagree?

TY Hilton and Isaiah McKenzie had half the board screaming for an offer. Those are bad misses. The other two are actual sleepers.

And guys like Ridley and Jeudy aren't a counter-point at all. They're incredibly dynamic athletes who also have size. That's why everyone wanted them.

They aren't examples of evaluation issues, they're examples of acquisition issues. We aren't going to reach the elite level until we start winning some of those battles. Do you disagree?
Spot on D$!

Advertisement
Unfortunately, at WR our problem has been players, also. (Coaching too, of course.)

My point is we should be requiring these traits. Take the best kids we can find with them. We'll win, and eventually, soon hopefully but eventually, we'll get some guys who both do all this and are elite at separation. But trying to reach for guys who we hope can catch and take a hit because their measureables look like someone else, that plan hasn't worked and likely won't work. Sounds like we agree here, just sayin....
What's funny is that it really hasn't been players or necessarily coaches (see Searles at UNC)....it's been our OFF scheme and even Manny got it wrong before quickly going with his gut instead of allowing another coach dictate to him the style of OFF needed at Miami. I know Lashlee's are a dime a dozen, because Lashlee is the real deal.....at the same time, as long as we keep our OFF modernized with the rest of CFB we'll be just fine when it comes to luring more and more Romello's-Jacolby's-and Brashard's. This is arguably our most talented WR class since Ahmmon's 2016 class.

Edit: I meant "I know Lashlee's AREN'T a dime a dozen".....

Mario Williams, Plant City, he balled in the Spring game
Yep, G44 that's the kid. I'm still blown away that OU pulled him to Oklahoma....wouldn't have been a shocker had he gone SEC but OU just doesn't come in here take the super elite kids....

anyway not trying to derail the thread....actually some fantastic ball being talked in this one today,

So it's the BAGS excuse again? I mean MAYBE you are right, but does that mean Leonard Taylor and James Williams were "BAG PROOF"???

That excuse gets old to me, keep some of these studs here, it's their job, that's my take anyhow. We are the HOME TEAM, make that mean something like most schools do. **** if it is "BAGS" drop them ****'s, whatever it takes. I can't stand losing football games to Louisiana Tech, GT, FIU, Duke or getting curb stopped by Clemson/UNC.

I do like the Clemson model you mentioned, just need to find our Dabo and get rid of Blake. Let's make that happen, DTP for AD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will contribute to your campaign.
You’re more than welcome to start donating to the bag campaign when I become AD. Just keep it quiet. The ncaa won’t ignore Miami like they do other places.

Advertisement

A lot of the board wanted Moore and Tutu as well. Staff needs to hit CIS on who to offer lol

I agree, but we need to think in terms of steps not vaults.

We need to maximize the local talent advantage by making better evaluations at the margins. Then utilize that (now acquired) talent advantage on the field to win more of the games we should win. With more talented players and more wins on the field to talk about, we can walk into those battles for elite talent with a lot more ammunition (giving us a better chance to win those battles). Then, we reach the elite level.

I know you were talking in terms of WR recruiting and talent acquisition generally, but people want to talk about reaching this "elite level" or "championship level" or "CFP playoff level" like it's around the corner. It's a lot easier to make that jump after we've reached the "often in our conference championship game and consistently finishing the season ranked in the AP top 20" level. We've had one top 15 AP finish in the last 16 years (thank you, Mark Richt). We haven't won 9+ games in 3 straight seasons since 2003-2005.

It's the old chicken/egg dilemma in recruiting, sure, but I don't think we need to recruit a team full of Ridley's and Jeudy's to get to where we're a consistently very good program. Last class was great with Williams and Taylor, but let's evaluate, acquire, and properly utilize enough talent to string together a few 9/10/11 win seasons and see if we can legitimately start turning more of those elite battles in our favor.

Don't disagree at all, I'd take all the WRs you listed.
But again Hilton ended up at FIU so there were no big time offers for him.
MacKenzie didn't have such a great career at Georgia.

I agree, but we need to think in terms of steps not vaults.

We need to maximize the local talent advantage by making better evaluations at the margins. Then utilize that (now acquired) talent advantage on the field to win more of the games we should win. With more talented players and more wins on the field to talk about, we can walk into those battles for elite talent with a lot more ammunition (giving us a better chance to win those battles). Then, we reach the elite level.

I know you were talking in terms of WR recruiting and talent acquisition generally, but people want to talk about reaching this "elite level" or "championship level" or "CFP playoff level" like it's around the corner. It's a lot easier to make that jump after we've reached the "often in our conference championship game and consistently finishing the season ranked in the AP top 20" level. We've had one top 15 AP finish in the last 16 years (thank you, Mark Richt). We haven't won 9+ games in 3 straight seasons since 2003-2005.

It's the old chicken/egg dilemma in recruiting, sure, but I don't think we need to recruit a team full of Ridley's and Jeudy's to get to where we're a consistently very good program. Last class was great with Williams and Taylor, but let's evaluate, acquire, and properly utilize enough talent to string together a few 9/10/11 win seasons and see if we can legitimately start turning more of those elite battles in our favor.
Agree with everything you said and have posted similar thoughts for years. We recruit at a Top 15 level according to the rankings and produce NFL players (but not impact players) at the level of the big boys.

If we maximize the talent we already have, and do a better job with the low-hanging fruit, we will be a relevant (if not elite) program. And that consistent success will allow us to win big-time battles and get to the next level.

I only reference guys like Cooper and Ridley as a reality check. Miami is not producing first rounders because it is finishing second place for too many first rounders. If we want to play with the big-boys, Miami needs to trot out elite WRs. It's one of our historic signatures as a program.

Advertisement
We've been lucky here and there landing some really great prospects but letting them down by the novice coaching them. It's looking like we're trending upwards but we've got to give these guys a product that will excite them and give them opportunities to showcase their abilities.

Over the past ten years our highest ranked offense was 32 and this was just last season. More times than not we were ranked below 50 and twice landed near the bottom at 98th and 101st. You will find it hard to win battles for elite talent when your product displays some of the worst football ever seen and what guys you do get will just look the same or worse as their time goes by.

There is no reason why our offenses have looked so weak. Even if guys like Pope or Wiggins aren't AR15 and Coley. They should be producing better and getting better every season and if not then why the **** did we recruit the other 8 or so guys. Teams like Kent State and UCF don't have some secret potion they bought on diagon ally to summon Butch Davis to do evaluations. They develop and scheme to their players.

Advertisement
In ‘21, there was a 1st round WR pick from Minnesota and second round WR picks from Pursue, Western MI, Mississippi and Louisville.

In ‘20, there were 1st round WR picks from ASU and TCU, and second round kids from Colorado and Baylor.

In ‘19, there was a first round WR picks from ASU, and secomd round kids from S.Car, Mississippi, Stanford amd UMass.

Our issues haven’t been just losing a few battles to Alabama level programs. And they aren’t just coaching ‘em up, unless all these random programs do just as well.

We have evaluated poorly, plain and simple.

In ‘21, there was a 1st round WR pick from Minnesota and second round WR picks from Pursue, Western MI, Mississippi and Louisville.

In ‘20, there were 1st round WR picks from ASU and TCU, and second round kids from Colorado and Baylor.

In ‘19, there was a first round WR picks from ASU, and secomd round kids from S.Car, Mississippi, Stanford amd UMass.

Our issues haven’t been just losing a few battles to Alabama level programs. And they aren’t just coaching ‘em up, unless all these random programs do just as well.

I guarantee you had any of those guys came here they wouldn't have been drafted in the rounds they went in and some wouldn't even been drafted at all. Two of those guys, Atwell and Moore. Had plenty of people wanting them here but nobody that had the power to bring them in sadly. Then you got guys like AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, N'Keal Harry and Jalen Reagor who were all really high 4 star players. We all know what Ole Miss is all about so no shock that they have had players drafted.

Then you got your typical dudes from random schools that some GM in the league thinks is better than what they are and this happens every draft. Occasionally someone hits a gem but many of the brand name players don't even pan out. Some of those schools you listed go years without a player being drafted high and occasionally they spit one out. Out of hundreds of kids that go through some of them school they got it right once in a blue moon.

Now seriously look at who our HC, OC and WR coaches have been and then you will see why our offense has sucked for around 17 years. This has been a place for most players to come to and commit career suicide. You can watch a guy HS highlights and then watch him 2 or 3 years in the program and you ask yourself, what the **** happened. Had Richards career not ended because of an injury. Richt and Enos would've come close to ending it with their horrific attempts at running an offense. Many of these guys we got have been through some terrible systems and hopefully a 2nd year in the same system that was by far our best in 10 years. We will see some of these guys start to shine and attempt to knock the rust off the image we have of them.

I think after having a year like everyone seen in 2020 from every stand point. It would be wise to let the current players and staff show what they can do with a full spring/summer practice. I think we will know a lot more about what we have at every position and what we really have in Lashlee and his offensive staff. It's time for them to show what they can do as coaches to improve players from the year before or make the needed changes to sit players on the bench that can't cut it.

I was going to mention this. Look at the All American teams too. There’s a couple big name guys but most of the receivers are lower level P5 guys and G5 guys. Is it nice to be able to sign the surefire, no doubt superstar kid? Yeah. Do you need to? Clearly not. First team AP All American receivers were from Alabama and Mississippi. Second and Third team guys were from North Texas, Arkansas State, North Carolina and Indiana.

Advertisement
Back