WR Rayshawn Jenkins commits to UM

Advertisement
And 3tds .....I'm sure that's some terrible competition, but still nice to see. Good athlete.

Advertisement
I don't care what kind of comp it was, that's a big day. I like athletes like this, kid could be a baller at Safety.

Advertisement
St. Petersburg (FL) Admiral Farragut Academy DB/WR Rayshawn Jenkins committed to Miami Nov. 13.

Jenkins told CaneSport after committing that his goal is "To just come in and do what I need to do to help the team win, see where it goes from there."

And his coach says Jenkins' talent is a perfect fit for the Canes and that he could make a very early impact.

"Absolutely he can make an immediate impact at Miami," Admiral Farragut coach Chris Miller said. "Rayshawn, he's a special talent. Right now he's one of the best football players in the Tampa Bay area for sure."

Jenkins is a tremendous athlete who played quarterback last year and this season is playing mostly receiver, running back and defensive back. He missed five games with injury, affecting his statistics - he had two interceptions and 333 total yards with four touchdowns entering the opening playoff game last week.

He exploded for a school-record 359 rushing yards and three touchdowns in that 48-24 win.

"Playoffs are do or die, so we got him out there and let him do his thing," said Miller, whose team is now 10-1.

Miller, who is in his 11th year coaching (seventh as the head coach at Admiral Farragut) adds that "He's certainly the best talent that I've coached. There's no question. We've had some fine athletes, quite a few kids that have gone DI. But Ray is certainly special."

Miller sees Jenkins as either a safety or receiver at UM.

"I think he'll get way too big to play corner," Miller said. "Right now he's 6-2, close to 200 pounds and he'll just get bigger and bigger. I could see him in the Miami weightlifting program and getting to 230. He can play wideout, there's no doubt about it. I can see him turning into a strong safety for sure, too."

Of his skills at safety, Miller said, "Oh my goodness he's a hard hitter. His ball skills are off the charts. He's got those instincts you can't coach."

Jenkins had 10 offers when he chose Miami, including the likes of Alabama, Florida State, Alabama and USF.

Was Miller surprised when Jenkins committed to the Canes?

"A little bit," Miller said. "They got him down there for the summer camp and I think that was a big difference, him going down there for that and seeing the school."

Jenkins has yet to set up his Miami official visit date yet, and it's unclear if he'll decide to take other visits as well.

Advertisement
Admiral Farragut spent all week listening to people talk about Belle Glade Glades Day running back Kelvin Taylor. But what the Blue Jackets quietly figured was three running backs were better than one.

Were they ever right.

The trio of Rayshawn Jenkins, Todd Macon and Napoleon Maxwell ran wild over the Gators in a surprisingly easy 42-16 state semifinal win Friday night. AFA (12-1) becomes the first Pinellas County team to advance to a state final since Dixie Hollins in 1995.

“Everyone was talking about one player, Kelvin Taylor, but you have to have more than one man to beat us,â€Â￾ Macon said. “Our running game and offensive line were amazing. We were prepared.â€Â￾

AFA didn’t exactly stifle Taylor, who had 24 carries for 168 yards and two first-half touchdowns. But the Gators’ defense had no answer for the Blue Jackets’ offense.

Jenkins led the way with 130 rushing yards and three touchdown runs. He also caught an 11-yard score. Macon added 89 yards and a touchdown, and Maxwell had 61 yards rushing, including a 47-yard scoring run. They combined for 280 rushing yards.

VIDEO-

http://bcove.me/wxi5vwxy

With his offensive output it makes you wonder if he'll end up on the offensive side of the ball at Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back