WR Drops - who is to blame?

Advertisement
Drops are never on the coaches.....NEVER
Just a question for you. Why don’t Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notredame and other winning program players don’t drop the ball? And if and when they do, have you seen them get pat on their bums, or do you see them get chewed verbally of non-verbally on the sideline?

Just a question for you. Why don’t Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notredame and other winning program players don’t drop the ball? And if and when they do, have you seen them get pat on their bums, or do you see them get chewed verbally of non-verbally on the sideline?
Not to be a d!ck... But the simple answer is their wrs are elite, coming out of hs. They don't have Wiggins or a Pope on their team. Now of course dropped balls does happen and when it does, usually they don't get chewed out but I have seen Saban chew a player out for a dropped ball before lol

Not to be a d!ck... But the simple answer is their wrs are elite, coming out of hs. They don't have Wiggins or a Pope on their team. Now of course dropped balls does happen and when it does, usually they don't get chewed out but I have seen Saban chew a player out for a dropped ball before lol
Or they get that stern look from their coaches. Usually that’s enough for them to come back and make up for it.

Advertisement
The thread is titled "WR drops....who is to blame"?

If the answer is anyone other than "the WR who dropped the ball", the poster needs to be banned.
Why do Pope and Wiggins repeatedly drop passes? Is it really just them and their talent?

Wiggins could have walked into the end zone on one of them, a 4 point differential which was the difference in this game. Pope drop at end cost guaranteed tied ballgame. The WRs lost this game.

What gives? New WR coach was supposed to be lights out. Why haven't we benched Wiggins yet?
Poor coaching? Lack of talent? Unwillingness to put in the time and hard work to improve? Who cares? They have not shown that they can make big-time catches in crucial situations. Unless the WRs further down the depth chart really stink in practice, there is no reason why the coaches should keep Pope and Wiggins as starters.

Meanwhile, mediocre QBs and WRs look all world against UM. Ugh!

Advertisement
They just aren’t very good. Can we stop with all the over analysis? We have 2 out of 3 starting receivers who are not good.
Not only were our tight ends much better at catching passes than the 2 (I can’t type their names tonight), but so were our running backs. Much, much better. Next year it will have to change because we brought in 4 freshmen this year and a nice group for 2021.
It must get better. It must get better. It must get ....
I’m doing my best Dorothy from Wizard of Oz impression at the end. If I keep typing “it must get better” then it will.

I kept waiting to see the lightbulb turn on for Lashlee, and for him to switch 22 personnel set. After your #8&9 receivers (I refuse to call them 1&2) drop virtually every pass that goes to them, at some point an OC has to realize that it's not a confidence thing (where maybe getting them some easy catches will shake the jitters), it's that they simply are not capable of helping the team. On the flip side, Miami has a trio of solid RBs, all of whom are excellent pass catchers and two terrific TEs. Harley is the only WR who has flashed all season, so he can be the lone WR on the field. If you don't trust the young WRs (Smith, Redding), fine. You don't have to play them, but then make the most of the talent that you do trust.

Advertisement

They have plenty of WR who bust, but they just recruit over them so the guys that see the field are almost always elite.

Xavier Williams at Bama is a good example. He sucks and won't ever play there, but here he'd be getting the same PT as Pope/Wiggins since we have no other upperclassmen, except Harley

Your college WR coach can't teach you how to catch. Stop the madness.
You can teach hand positioning, use the jugs machine, run routes, etc...but if you lack mental toughness and focus then you ain't catching **** when live bullets start flying. Add in lack of accountability and it gets even worse. Pope and Wiggins probably catch 10/10 passes during drills. They probably can one-hand catch everything too. Most HS kids can do that, I see it every day.
Every kid playing college football knows how to catch. It's when the **** is live that everything changes. And for the most part your coach can't control what happens during those situations. The only real answer is to light a fire up their a$$ and hope they rise to the occasion. Our HC doesn't do that.

Yall are always so quick to blame (or give credit to) position coaches for EVERYTHING.

Advertisement
They have plenty of WR who bust, but they just recruit over them so the guys that see the field are almost always elite.

Xavier Williams at Bama is a good example. He sucks and won't ever play there, but here he'd be getting the same PT as Pope/Wiggins since we have no other upperclassmen, except Harley
I don't know about all that. He's only a Sophomore and he's behind 1st rounders. I'd give him another year before making that statement.

You are kidding me right? Of course you can improve your hand eye coordination at any age. Old bald surgeons use video gaming to improve in their 60s.
This guy actually played WR at the U, I think he knows what he is talking about with this specific topic.

Why do he suck? Is it because he can't catch??? I haven't heard anyone mention him having a catching problem. They just recruit guys who are better.

Your college WR coach can't teach you how to catch. Stop the madness.
You can teach hand positioning, use the jugs machine, run routes, etc...but if you lack mental toughness and focus then you ain't catching **** when live bullets start flying. Add in lack of accountability and it gets even worse. Pope and Wiggins probably catch 10/10 passes during drills. They probably can one-hand catch everything too. Most HS kids can do that, I see it every day.
Every kid playing college football knows how to catch. It's when the **** is live that everything changes. And for the most part your coach can't control what happens during those situations. The only real answer is to light a fire up their a$$ and hope they rise to the occasion. Our HC doesn't do that.

Yall are always so quick to blame (or give credit to) position coaches for EVERYTHING.
Jerry Rice trained and practiced himself to greatness. You think he is the GOAT just bc of some mental ability to shine with the lights on? If these kids catch balls one handed with their eyes closed and then go out on the field and put that garbage on tape, there is something wrong with the player and the coaching / preparation.

Advertisement
Back