WR Drops - who is to blame?

No accountability breeds bad habits and a lack of dedication and work ethic.

Receivers need to be alphas and want to catch every ball, and fight for them in that regard.

Neither Pope nor Wiggins have that in them, and they have no reason to improve because they just keep getting more chances.
th.jpg

Advertisement
I’ve yet to see him mess up on a rep he’s gotten. He’s quick, dominated top competition in HS and from what I’ve heard has consistently torn up the first team D in practice since he’s been here. In college 1 yard is considered wide open, he’s quick and can catch, 4.3 speed is irrelevant if you can’t catch a pass

Dabo would play him

Pope and Wiggins suck, thank god Harley stepped up this year. We could've, should've won this game. Our receivers killed us and a couple of horrible calls from the refs. That interception that was overturned because of pass interference on Couch was a horrible call.

That and the 2 point conversion being overturned were brutal.

I’ve yet to see him mess up on a rep he’s gotten. He’s quick, dominated top competition in HS and from what I’ve heard has consistently torn up the first team D in practice since he’s been here. In college 1 yard is considered wide open, he’s quick and can catch, 4.3 speed is irrelevant if you can’t catch a pass

I am frustrated just like you. Is Few the answer? My guess is no. But what we have at WR right now is certainly unacceptable. I've been railing on Wiggins for months.

Advertisement
It's all on Pope and Wiggins. Noodle thin, no fight for the ball, and **** *** hands. Said it earlier in the year, those two don't belong in our uniform. They aren't even D1 talent.

So hard to improve your hand eye coordination at that age. You can make some progress but you mostly either have it or not by then. WR coaches don’t get enough time with receivers in college to really work on hands, that has to be mostly in the players’ free time. At a certain point you have to blame the coaches for continuing to put them out there though, no one on this board can convince me that Pope or Wiggins are better than what Few could do if he got equal reps all season
Not for nothing if you’re playing WR at any D1 school and haven’t figured out how to catch with your hands there is a much bigger issue.

Kids playing pop warner know to catch the ball with their hands, this really isn’t a coaching issue. You can make the argument that if a player has bad technique it’s on the coach to change it, but I have bigger issue with the fact they were both still out there because that makes me think 80% of the WR room has the same problem.

Wiggins could have walked into the end zone on one of them, a 4 point differential which was the difference in this game. Pope drop at end cost guaranteed tied ballgame. The WRs lost this game.

What gives? New WR coach was supposed to be lights out. Why haven't we benched Wiggins yet?
Oh hey I know this one.. the guys dropping the balls

Advertisement
I will never bash a Miami player. Not my style. However Pope and Wiggins should never play another down. McCloud, God bless the kid but he needs to take a walk. Didnt hear much about Ivey tonight(I guess thats a good thing) be he needs to walk as well. There are some others(starters) that need be shown the door but I want waste time to go into detail.

You know what I believe Manny can manage this program IF he doesnt make the same bad decisions Chumley Al Golden did. His defensive staff needs to sanitized and disinfected. IF he does this, imo he can be successful

Advertisement
I will never bash a Miami player. Not my style. However Pope and Wiggins should never play another down. McCloud, God bless the kid but he needs to take a walk. Didnt hear much about Ivey tonight(I guess thats a good thing) be he needs to walk as well. There are some others(starters) that need be shown the door but I want waste time to go into detail.

You know what I believe Manny can manage this program IF he doesnt make the same bad decisions Chumley Al Golden did. His defensive staff needs to sanitized and disinfected. IF he does this, imo he can be successful
I will never bash a Miami player........and then bash em. LOL I love it. I agree with you tho.

So hard to improve your hand eye coordination at that age. You can make some progress but you mostly either have it or not by then. WR coaches don’t get enough time with receivers in college to really work on hands, that has to be mostly in the players’ free time. At a certain point you have to blame the coaches for continuing to put them out there though, no one on this board can convince me that Pope or Wiggins are better than what Few could do if he got equal reps all season

this.

although, it's a medical fact you can improve hand/eye coordination as an adult. and i disagree somewhat on the coaching point. we had a great WR coach in college who was a stickler for teaching hand positioning and the theory of how to catch a football. there are things to be taught and drilled. how to position for contested catches can be coached up. our guys were taught and they practiced how to make one handed catches, or catches while being held, or at different points in the radius. they did drills with eye patches, for example. (you're not always going to get a good look at the ball).

but i do agree, once a player understands it, then it's up to him and the jugs machine.

They just aren’t very good. Can we stop with all the over analysis? We have 2 out of 3 starting receivers who are not good.
Not only were our tight ends much better at catching passes than the 2 (I can’t type their names tonight), but so were our running backs. Much, much better. Next year it will have to change because we brought in 4 freshmen this year and a nice group for 2021.
It must get better. It must get better. It must get ....
I’m doing my best Dorothy from Wizard of Oz impression at the end. If I keep typing “it must get better” then it will.

Advertisement
umm, why is # 3 granted a pass ? let me guess, because he played “ better” the last few games? Fuc$ that.. he sucks too..

Wiggins could have walked into the end zone on one of them, a 4 point differential which was the difference in this game. Pope drop at end cost guaranteed tied ballgame. The WRs lost this game.

What gives? New WR coach was supposed to be lights out. Why haven't we benched Wiggins yet?
All good questions. I blame Pope and Wiggins and the coaching staff who continue to play these two instead others. Next year, with the 3 Freshmen, there will be NO excuses. Play the youngins and get rid of the Southridge duo.

Drops are not on the coaches man come on. We’re literally talking about catching the ball, that’s on them.

The question is who decides which receivers go in each play: Lashlee or Likens? I’m guessing Lashlee

Advertisement
Back