WR Coach Kevin Beard

Cleats in practice love it

AC238DBF-9B87-4F5B-9A10-866CDBAD2FFB.gif

This changes everything

Advertisement
Yeap....Jim Tressel, Terry Bowden and even Joe Paterno were the names being tossed around by media.

I didn’t even know those were names being thrown around I know they were two or three people for sure that turned us down, and probably more, but the one guy that really chapped my *** was Sonny Lubbick, he was, for a fact, offered the job, and turned us down to stay at Colorado State.

Colorado State.

Advertisement
Wait, are you saying that we passed on Hank because he wanted a passing game coordinator title?!?
Nah. There was more to it than that. I'm not even sure that's the title he wanted. I'm just saying he wanted a title besides simply wr coach. At the end of the day I'm not sure how crazy Dawson was about him either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I didn’t even know those were names being thrown around I know they were two or three people for sure that turned us down, and probably more, but the one guy that really chapped my *** was Sonny Lubbick, he was, for a fact, offered the job, and turned us down to stay at Colorado State.

Colorado State.
Media has always been full of ****. It's not something new. I know a few of the names that were brought up and yes sonny was one of them but even thought it didn't start out that way, he was essentially a god at csu and his kids etc were going there. It became a legacy job for him. I also think he was scared to deal with the pressure that came along down here. He was offered this job twice that I know of and turned us down. Jimmy was offered another time in two different capacities. By that point the book was out on what our administration was like towards coaches. No shock any coach already established wouldn't want anything to do with us. You'd be signing onto a ad that was known as a totalitarian. Who wants to play second fiddle in your own program to an ad.

Advertisement
Tressel was actually offered the job. Declined (as I recall) due to some family issues and/or issues around the NCAA investigation of Ray Isaac.

That sounds right. It was such a long time ago. I don’t ever recall Paterno being an actual possibility. I’m sure you remember about Lubich, I think he was the last guy we offered before we went to Dallas to get Butch, who had never been a head coach before if I remember correctly.

Media has always been full of ****. It's not something new. I know a few of the names that were brought up and yes sonny was one of them but even thought it didn't start out that way, he was essentially a god at csu and his kids etc were going there. It became a legacy job for him. I also think he was scared to deal with the pressure that came along down here. He was offered this job twice that I know of and turned us down. Jimmy was offered another time in two different capacities. By that point the book was out on what our administration was like towards coaches. No shock any coach already established wouldn't want anything to do with us. You'd be signing onto a ad that was known as a totalitarian. Who wants to play second fiddle in your own program to an ad.

Yeah, thanks for the insight, I didn’t know his kids went there. Obviously you know who he is and have the chops to set the record straight.

Couple quick thoughts:

1. No real feelings towards this hire. It is what it is.

2. I don’t really care much about his previous time here. We aren’t the same program resource wise.

3. Mario has mentioned the WR position since he arrived. **** him and Gattis basically publicly said last spring that we were in trouble at the position. Mario takes recruiting personally. As much as us fans know how massive the WR recruiting is, I know Mario feels it even more. If he feels Beard is the key to this, then ok let’s roll. Won’t take long to find out.
This right here. Everyone getting their panties in a bunch over a position coach hire. We have a completely different offensive system than when he was here before and he was doing well at Toledo. Let’s give the man a chance to work before we **** all over him.

Advertisement
Back