WR Coach Candidates

Advertisement
Except he already got his opportunity at Miami and Tennessee and ended up at Toledo. Those staffs got fired but in neither instance did incoming coaches think he was worthy of being retained. And until this Miami bro opportunity apparently no other P5 school thought he deserved an opportunity either.
Usually new staffs want their own guys

We had a really good year in Sofla last year

In what world are we going to bat 1000 against schools that go to the playoff **** every year and average about 4 more wins per year than us ever the past decade or so?

Until we put something on the field...It's going to be Cristobal's prowess and NIL. You are lying to yourself if you think any magical assistant is going to come in and start winning battles over Bama and OSU. Improve on the field, use NIL as much as possible, and you will bat 50% or just under in Tri-County. That's as good as you can do until we become a top 7-8 program. And even then it probably goes up to 60-70%. Bama, OSU, GA...ARE GOING TO GET SOUTH FLORIDA KIDS. THIS JUST IN

We are never going to control 100% of the SFL talent, I completely get that

But you can’t tell me that Kevin Beard was one of the top 20 options at WR coach, to help close the gap

If Mario is going to stand by the Recruiting mantra, Beard was an average at best option

Advertisement
For Beard, referencing other coaches never getting an opportunity doesn’t make sense because he went backwards from here, Georgia (QC guy), and Tennessee to Toledo and stayed there a good chunk of time. He went backwards and not just temporarily.

Maybe his wife wanted stability and said let’s make it work there for a while. Or maybe other family reasons kept him there longer than just him being an above average wr coach and recruiter (which is being suggested a lot here).

That said the positives:

-He gained a lot more coaching and recruiting experience at a lower tier program.

-It seems like he had a lot of productive wide receivers over the years at Toledo. And he had his highest more productive group ever last year.

-his high ranking in 2022 for the MAC conference is a nice thing but the good recruiter thing is probably harder to figure out when sometimes it’s teams closing or one guy is doing all the work and maybe another closes and gets the actual e-credit. I’m sure politics is huge with these recruiter rankings unless it’s someone super obvious like Mario who has a microchip in his head to call recruits at any hour of the day.

-the overrated Miami culture nonsense but maybe he will be able to relate better to guys down here. Who knows. Some nice urban legends/recruit/former player testimonials on this board about him.Again who knows.

Negatives

-went backwards and stayed backwards for a while. Why? (If not something personal or just waiting out this job, etc.)
-in a good chunk of time: any pro prospects among the productive guys there? Or basically just maintained the status quo?
-Miami guy for the sake of a Miami guy: as a wr coach he’ll be better than Gattis but so would many. Would we care about this guy if he never played here?

Our best solution is winning and having a productive offense that features WRs. And then gettin them drafted.

Recruiting is 100% important but osu got elite WRs before hartline and they will get him if he ever leaves.

I get that

But why not get a legit WR coach that has produced strong recruiting and onfield results at the P5 level to jump start the talent acquisition piece

It’s not either or

Curious, all those ****ed off about Beard. After Hankerson said no ty, Colts rehire Wayne, Galloway probably a pipe dream, Keith Williams slurred speech in his call, who else out there??
I'm pretty neutral on Beard. Think there's potential

But there's some big name proven guys that I don't understand why they weren't contacted. Especially if you already have Harris on staff.

Advertisement
We are never going to control 100% of the SFL talent, I completely get that

But you can’t tell me that Kevin Beard was one of the top 20 options at WR coach, to help close the gap

If Mario is going to stand by the Recruiting mantra, Beard was an average at best option

In South Florida? HE may indeed be top 20. But more importantly...Unless you are getting a Hankers or someone big, what the is the value of one more "good" recruiter? When you have NIL...When you have CMC, etc.

Hopefully he can coach technique and be a plus recruiting. If you aren't getting one of the top 2-3. I think Beard is fine with some NIL behind him as a recruiter. Offense improving is way more important.

And again there were better hires imo...I just think you guys are looking at recruiting the wrong way, especially with Nil in play.

First potential hire that is thoroughly disappointing. This is like a C/C- grade, and given how badly we need to reverse the negative connotations surrounding WR play at the University of Miami, this is just bleh.

And yet despite this, I'll still root for him and desperately hope he can prove me wrong. We all should be - Miami should not be thought of for medicore to poor WR play.
Agreed

Not that Mario is infallible but guys can get better as well. It would be cool if we have to eat crow about this hire.

It’s already a tall task coming in here and dealing with the receivers in Florida so Beard will have his work cut out for him

Advertisement
The jobs here at UM just are not as attractive as ya’ll think they are. All it really boils down to. It’s just not an attractive option and/or Mario isn’t the guy you think he is when closing on coaches. No amount of money will change that unless we start winning consistently. Get it through your heads, we just replaced all of our guys with G5 coaches, literally all 5. My money is on Wright’s replacement being the same once Taylor accepts an NFL job. Proof is in the pudding. Big time proven assistant coaches did not want this job and this past seasons results set us back even further in regards to that. All the hype from last off season and then 2022 happened and the hole got even deeper. We had the “big name” staff and got absolutely pummeled on the field, so why would any great coach is presumably a great situation leave that for us. The only guys to even consider it are guys who have UM ties (surprise).

And yes, I like the Guidry hire. Indifferent on Ice and Nicholson. Not crazy about the Dawson hire and don’t like this one at all. Write it down, take a pic, call me mope…really dgaf lol.

Advertisement
So, both of our new coordinators are coming in cold with zero on field staff they’ve worked with before. Am I correct on this?

The OC brought an off the field guy. But yeah pretty much same as last year but with much less time to implement/ get staff on the same page/terminology before spring ball.

@skeeter @Mackmiller974

I didn’t post Beard’s time at Toledo; it’s his all time recruits, which would’ve taken in consideration his time at Miami & Tennessee as WR coach, just a FYI.

Furthermore, Scott’s best yr was his sophomore in 2012. He didn’t play in 2011, barely played in 2013 (injured), 2014 (injured), so what r u talking about?
Never mind those stats 247 doesn’t bother updating it for the MAC so they’re not accurate. I mean they were super accurate when he was running around here claiming he was the 5th best recruiter in the MAC like that was some sort of accolade but now that it’s been revealed what that actually means it’s super inaccurate.

The jobs here at UM just are not as attractive as ya’ll think they are. All it really boils down to. It’s just not an attractive option and/or Mario isn’t the guy you think he is when closing on coaches. No amount of money will change that unless we start winning consistently. Get it through your heads, we just replaced all of our guys with G5 coaches, literally all 5. My money is on Wright’s replacement being the same once Taylor accepts an NFL job. Proof is in the pudding. Big time proven assistant coaches did not want this job and this past seasons results set us back even further in regards to that. All the hype from last off season and then 2022 happened and the hole got even deeper. We had the “big name” staff and got absolutely pummeled on the field, so why would any great coach is presumably a great situation leave that for us. The only guys to even consider it are guys who have UM ties (surprise).

And yes, I like the Guidry hire. Indifferent on Ice and Nicholson. Not crazy about the Dawson hire and don’t like this one at all. Write it down, take a pic, call me mope…really dgaf lol.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Miami definitely isn’t the job that this fan base thinks it is and I have said it before. These big name coaches that they want aren’t beating down the door to come here

Advertisement
Back