WR Antwane Wells receives offer

VA Tech hasn’t hired a WR’s coach yet & their new OC Tyler Bowen is a former OL coach under Joe Moorehead at Fordham & PSU...

Any WR that wants to get a bunch of targets would be insane to willingly go play at program with a defensive minded HC like Brent Pry & an OC who’s a former OL & TE’s coach & is all about pounding the rock, not to mention, they don’t even have a noteworthy QB & will be running a Moorehead style offense.

Aside from the local pull of VA Tech, he’d be crazy to pick them over us when we literally have the best returning QB in the ACC & from a position by position standpoint are significantly better than VA Tech in every way.

I just hope we can get him down for a visit ASAP & some of the other teams lobbing offers at him don’t get involved.

This is where Ruiz & Lambert can win the day for us in conjunction with the coaching staff, assuming we can get him down for a visit, Mario, McClendon & Cooney can knock it out the park with the OV football side of things, but then have our NIL guys get him right on the cash side of things & we can seal the deal.

Gotta move quick though, the Portal is one of those things where you can’t take too much time when it comes to good prospects, you have to pounce on them early & immediately open up the duffle bags on the negotiating table.

How do you remember all this stuff? Lol we gone get Mario to put you somewhere on staff.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I just signed his QB yesterday so I'm decently familiar with Wells, but I think he's a beast. Better pure WR than Osborn was imo

giphy.gif

You know what to do...

Advertisement
I could see Brinson being ****ed as fvck if we take this kid
Like I said somewhere earlier in the thread, if we throw the ball as much as I hope we do, this is a great offer and catalyst for Brinson. He seems like a tough kid. He'll work even harder to get to his max potential. Spread teams need more than 2 WRs who can catch ins/slants and use their bodies. We have a lot of the other types, so going into the season with just Brinson is actually bad for him (developmentally, you want him pushed) and us.

Advertisement
Maybe I missed it, but would love for you guys to touch on how the X receiver is on the line. That alone changes the dynamic. Although it’s now changed a bit with how WRs are moved around everywhere, the traditional X needs a **** of a release package in his skill set. I know you played QB, so would be interested to read your view of that difference. From a DB standpoint, having the WR stationary at the LOS comes with obvious advantages.

You said it.

Speaking as it relates to press-man ......

A player on the LOS means a tighter press for the CB against the WR. The more room that the receiver has at the snap (with alignment or with motion), the more difficult it is for the CB to be able to effectively jam and redirect him. The key for the corner is his being able to get his hands on the receiver as quickly as possible, in a position where he has his feet and hips under him. (i.e., in a good athletic position, not reaching, and not turned to a position that makes it awkward to adjust). Having even a yard of separation (vertically or horizontally) can make a difference in the receiver's release and how cleanly he gets into his glide (the vertical part of the route). The tighter press also means the CB can sometimes have more control over which direction he may want to try to force a redirect. Into the boundary? Towards another defender? Doesn't sound like a lot, but the small bit of separation at the jump can make a difference to the CB.

The corner wants to play the game in a phone booth. The receiver wants to play it in an empty warehouse.

Of course, the tighter the press, the more difficult it is for the CB if he loses leverage early in the route.

But that's another story.

Advertisement
So when do portal players need to decide by? Later this month to start classes for spring right?

Advertisement
Back