WR Antwane Wells receives offer

Advertisement
I would say X has the most ability to beat man coverage, with the strength to get off the line.

There is also a vertical component because the X challenges the deepest corner of the field.
I'll add to @DMoney.
Sort of depends on the offense, if you flip your offense based on strength of field, your X, can right off the LOS, is your main guy, because he's usually the only receiver on that side, and they need to be a deep threat, beat 1v1, have wiggle, etc.

If you play more simple and it's just right and left, the difference isn't that big solely based on your expect to be on the left and right 50 percent of the time, but the only thing is most QBs are right handed throwers, so you run to the right often and your throw more often to the left.

Advertisement
We just maybe sitting good here
06364C06-3CB3-4871-8203-9E858EA69846.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy already tweeted out 10 offers he received. Ours was 1st. 😁. NC, VT, and MissSt are a few of the other bigger ones.

Interesting on his twitter is that on Jan 3rd he tweeted out that he was looking for an NIL agent. I’m assuming this is becoming a niche and doesn’t violate any college athlete/agent signing laws? I hope we become on the forefront in this area and can have a network in place to work with and help out the athletes by setting them up with whatever representation needed and having a buffet of various NIL deals we have at the ready to offer them.

Advertisement
Advertisement

6’1 205lbs kid out of Richmond VA.

Has 116rec 1,853yds & 21TD’s in his first two seasons.

Route technician with good speed & glue hands, runs with sturdy contact balance, is a YAC machine.

They moved him all over the field in Curt Cignetti’s offense, he was used at X, Flanker & in the slot, he would be a XWR here at Miami no doubt & would play the same role as KJ Osborn & Charleston Rambo did as the consistent on ball chain mover that you can target 10+ times a game.

I know hardly any on here watch FCS games or have watched much of JMU, but most of their full games are on YT

He’s already received offers from VA Tech & Miss St today..
He’s a local VA kid so maybe he stays close to home, but hopefully BMac can entice him to come here & play with TVD.

Yo this kid looks good

Depends on the scheme & what you ask your WR’s to do.

The XWR is the Wide out who is lined up the furthest away from the line of scrimmage towards the field side of the hashes, the Z/Flanker is lined up to the Flanker side of the LOS closest to the boundary side of the hashes, meaning closest to the sideline. However, in some scheme they can actually move the X & the Z around to being closer to the line depending on the formation.

The XWR is usually your best WR, he’s the Randy Moss/Jerry Rice of you system, the #1 guy that is most dependable.

The Z is usually the big body WR, although that has changed as the game has evolved, teams that run Air Raid typically have a good Flankers & good Slot WR’s.

The Y is the Slot, in the old school Single back formations the Y was always the TE, but in today’s modern offenses the Y is the Slot, the Wes Walker/Julian Edelman types. Mike Harley was our Slot WR for the last 2 seasons, they’re usually the smaller speedsters who run quick IN/OUT routes & get out of their breaks quickly they’re usually multi-purpose knives for the offense, you can use them in the Bubble screen game heavy, in short seam intermediate routes to get sh yardage or stretch the field with deep ball routes, usually running a Post to split the defense after the X or the Z has cleared out the Safeties.

Really just depends on the offense, in some offenses, the put the Slot as their best WR & will get the most targets because of how the Offense is structured, teams rarely ever double up a Slot WR & there’s usually a matchup advantage with whoever is covering the Slot because most teams don’t have a great Nickel Corner or any Safeties fast enough to keep up with a 4.3/4.4 Slot guy.

very nice summary.

I will add one other thing:

the Z typically needs to be the best blocker of the WR's on the perimeter, as most running games are predominantly strong side packages. (but the development of zone running plays and zone reads and related concepts have lightened this distinction somewhat over the recent years). this means the Z has to be able to control first run support which is generally the corner or an inverted safety lined up somewhere off the Z's nose. whenever you see a nice run from scrimmage at the perimeter, it's because the Z has executed his blocking assignment. very hard to get chunky runs outside the hashes if your wideouts, particularly the Z, can't block. that's also why historically, the Z was the bigger of the bodies.

Advertisement
very nice summary.

I will add one other thing:

the Z typically needs to be the best blocker of the WR's on the perimeter, as most running games are predominantly strong side packages. (but the development of zone running plays and zone reads and related concepts have lightened this distinction somewhat over the recent years). this means the Z has to be able to control first run support which is generally the corner or an inverted safety lined up somewhere off the Z's nose. whenever you see a nice run from scrimmage at the perimeter, it's because the Z has executed his blocking assignment. very hard to get chunky runs outside the hashes if your wideouts, particularly the Z, can't block. that's also why historically, the Z was the bigger of the bodies.
Maybe I missed it, but would love for you guys to touch on how the X receiver is on the line. That alone changes the dynamic. Although it’s now changed a bit with how WRs are moved around everywhere, the traditional X needs a **** of a release package in his skill set. I know you played QB, so would be interested to read your view of that difference. From a DB standpoint, having the WR stationary at the LOS comes with obvious advantages.

Somebody on the other site SUPPOSEDLY who’s in the know with the kid says he’s a U fan and he wants to be here. Said us vs Vtech cause his high school’s coach son just signed there & they best friends
VA Tech hasn’t hired a WR’s coach yet & their new OC Tyler Bowen is a former OL coach under Joe Moorehead at Fordham & PSU...

Any WR that wants to get a bunch of targets would be insane to willingly go play at program with a defensive minded HC like Brent Pry & an OC who’s a former OL & TE’s coach & is all about pounding the rock, not to mention, they don’t even have a noteworthy QB & will be running a Moorehead style offense.

Aside from the local pull of VA Tech, he’d be crazy to pick them over us when we literally have the best returning QB in the ACC & from a position by position standpoint are significantly better than VA Tech in every way.

I just hope we can get him down for a visit ASAP & some of the other teams lobbing offers at him don’t get involved.

This is where Ruiz & Lambert can win the day for us in conjunction with the coaching staff, assuming we can get him down for a visit, Mario, McClendon & Cooney can knock it out the park with the OV football side of things, but then have our NIL guys get him right on the cash side of things & we can seal the deal.

Gotta move quick though, the Portal is one of those things where you can’t take too much time when it comes to good prospects, you have to pounce on them early & immediately open up the duffle bags on the negotiating table.

This guy already tweeted out 10 offers he received. Ours was 1st. 😁. NC, VT, and MissSt are a few of the other bigger ones.

Interesting on his twitter is that on Jan 3rd he tweeted out that he was looking for an NIL agent. I’m assuming this is becoming a niche and doesn’t violate any college athlete/agent signing laws? I hope we become on the forefront in this area and can have a network in place to work with and help out the athletes by setting them up with whatever representation needed and having a buffet of various NIL deals we have at the ready to offer them.
Completely legal. This is what Oregon set up so Miami needs to set up something similar: Oregon NIL firm - Division Street (Forbes)

VA Tech hasn’t hired a WR’s coach yet & their new OC Tyler Bowen is a former OL coach under Joe Moorehead at Fordham & PSU...

Any WR that wants to get a bunch of targets would be insane to willingly go play at program with a defensive minded HC like Brent Pry & an OC who’s a former OL & TE’s coach & is all about pounding the rock, not to mention, they don’t even have a noteworthy QB & will be running a Moorehead style offense.

Aside from the local pull of VA Tech, he’d be crazy to pick them over us when we literally have the best returning QB in the ACC & from a position by position standpoint are significantly better than VA Tech in every way.

I just hope we can get him down for a visit ASAP & some of the other teams lobbing offers at him don’t get involved.

This is where Ruiz & Lambert can win the day for us in conjunction with the coaching staff, assuming we can get him down for a visit, Mario, McClendon & Cooney can knock it out the park with the OV football side of things, but then have our NIL guys get him right on the cash side of things & we can seal the deal.

Gotta move quick though, the Portal is one of those things where you can’t take too much time when it comes to good prospects, you have to pounce on them early & immediately open up the duffle bags on the negotiating table.
I support this message. You are spot on sir.

Advertisement
Back