WR Antwane Wells receives offer

Advertisement
Somewhat OT, but for the Xs and Os guys, how much goes into a guy being an X or Z beside size/speed/getting off the line of scrimmage
Depends on the scheme & what you ask your WR’s to do.

The XWR is the Wide out who is lined up the furthest away from the line of scrimmage towards the field side of the hashes, the Z/Flanker is lined up to the Flanker side of the LOS closest to the boundary side of the hashes, meaning closest to the sideline. However, in some scheme they can actually move the X & the Z around to being closer to the line depending on the formation.

The XWR is usually your best WR, he’s the Randy Moss/Jerry Rice of you system, the #1 guy that is most dependable.

The Z is usually the big body WR, although that has changed as the game has evolved, teams that run Air Raid typically have a good Flankers & good Slot WR’s.

The Y is the Slot, in the old school Single back formations the Y was always the TE, but in today’s modern offenses the Y is the Slot, the Wes Walker/Julian Edelman types. Mike Harley was our Slot WR for the last 2 seasons, they’re usually the smaller speedsters who run quick IN/OUT routes & get out of their breaks quickly they’re usually multi-purpose knives for the offense, you can use them in the Bubble screen game heavy, in short seam intermediate routes to get sh yardage or stretch the field with deep ball routes, usually running a Post to split the defense after the X or the Z has cleared out the Safeties.

Really just depends on the offense, in some offenses, the put the Slot as their best WR & will get the most targets because of how the Offense is structured, teams rarely ever double up a Slot WR & there’s usually a matchup advantage with whoever is covering the Slot because most teams don’t have a great Nickel Corner or any Safeties fast enough to keep up with a 4.3/4.4 Slot guy.

Advertisement
You guys think he's a back-up for Mario Williams? Or potentially kicks Ladson to the curb? Just spit balling here, loved his film.
He & Mario are two different types of WR’s.

Unless we’re only taking 1 WR from the Portal, I wouldn’t say he’s a backup plan...

But he’s a prototype replacement for Rambo & depending on who our OC is, I would say they probably feel they’ll need a classic #1 WR for this year with the youngsters like Brinson & George still developing in that role.

They’re both takes if you can get them, but the reality is, Mario Williams is probably less likely between the two despite him being from Tampa. He’s more than likely following Caleb to wherever he goes or gets bagged up nice with a NIL deal at a SEC school.

He & Mario are two different types of WR’s.

Unless we’re only taking 1 WR from the Portal, I wouldn’t say he’s a backup plan...

But he’s a prototype replacement for Rambo & depending on who our OC is, I would say they probably feel they’ll need a classic #1 WR for this year with the youngsters like Brinson & George still developing in that role.

They’re both takes if you can get them, but the reality is, Mario Williams is probably less likely between the two despite him being from Tampa. He’s more than likely following Caleb to wherever he goes or gets bagged up nice with a NIL deal at a SEC school.
I don't think this is a backup plan at all

although I'm sure the staff sees mario williams as a long shot
Appreciate both of these, definitely think he's a take; LCE said it but the word that stands out to me is fluid. Uses his body well, nice hands, effortless movement.

Advertisement
Depends on the scheme & what you ask your WR’s to do.

The XWR is the Wide out who is lined up the furthest away from the line of scrimmage towards the field side of the hashes, the Z/Flanker is lined up to the Flanker side of the LOS closest to the boundary side of the hashes, meaning closest to the sideline. However, in some scheme they can actually move the X & the Z around to being closer to the line depending on the formation.

The XWR is usually your best WR, he’s the Randy Moss/Jerry Rice of you system, the #1 guy that is most dependable.

The Z is usually the big body WR, although that has changed as the game has evolved, teams that run Air Raid typically have a good Flankers & good Slot WR’s.

The Y is the Slot, in the old school Single back formations the Y was always the TE, but in today’s modern offenses the Y is the Slot, the Wes Walker/Julian Edelman types. Mike Harley was our Slot WR for the last 2 seasons, they’re usually the smaller speedsters who run quick IN/OUT routes & get out of their breaks quickly they’re usually multi-purpose knives for the offense, you can use them in the Bubble screen game heavy, in short seam intermediate routes to get sh yardage or stretch the field with deep ball routes, usually running a Post to split the defense after the X or the Z has cleared out the Safeties.

Really just depends on the offense, in some offenses, the put the Slot as their best WR & will get the most targets because of how the Offense is structured, teams rarely ever double up a Slot WR & there’s usually a matchup advantage with whoever is covering the Slot because most teams don’t have a great Nickel Corner or any Safeties fast enough to keep up with a 4.3/4.4 Slot guy.
Terrific overview of the 3 wr roles brother.

The more I watch, he really reminds me of KJ Osborn.
He plays a lot like him, very sure handed catcher & is as equally consistent on the outside.

When I watched him vs South Eastern LA & William & Mary, the first name I thought of was KJ.

I think he’s actually faster than KJ, but physically & everything else they’re very similar players.

And Canes fans should remember we got KJ from Buffalo in case anybody is worried about comp.

Advertisement

6’1 205lbs kid out of Richmond VA.

Has 116rec 1,853yds & 21TD’s in his first two seasons.

Route technician with good speed & glue hands, runs with sturdy contact balance, is a YAC machine.

They moved him all over the field in Curt Cignetti’s offense, he was used at X, Flanker & in the slot, he would be a XWR here at Miami no doubt & would play the same role as KJ Osborn & Charleston Rambo did as the consistent on ball chain mover that you can target 10+ times a game.

I know hardly any on here watch FCS games or have watched much of JMU, but most of their full games are on YT

He’s already received offers from VA Tech & Miss St today..
He’s a local VA kid so maybe he stays close to home, but hopefully BMac can entice him to come here & play with TVD.

Really liking this offer. That is amazing production for a sophomore. The biggest thing that stood out to me was his balance/body control. He looks smooth and his movements seem effortless. Great hands. Like LCE said, he looks a bit faster than KJ if that’s the comparison y’all are going with. I love our wr room but we do need someone with college snaps under their belt to come in right away and help.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back