Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

It’s hilarious that people think McCloud will be good at DE. Did y’all watch the Bowl Game? Dude has been here 16 years and looks more lost on the field now than he did as a Frosh.. I know Manny has a hard on for vet players but it will be ridiculous if he’s getting major snaps next year...
Nobody thinks he’s going to be good. He’s going to be the fourth DE in the rotation.

Advertisement
Apologies for taking up the space, but remind me again - LT is an EE or is he coming in the Summer? Sorry, I took a cursory look and couldn't find it on the site.

Apologies for taking up the space, but remind me again - LT is an EE or is he coming in the Summer? Sorry, I took a cursory look and couldn't find it on the site.
He's not an EE. Not sure when he'll arrive, if ever, since apparently the Palmetto AD wants it that way.

People are sleeping on Harvey without recognizing that he was a Red Frosh last year that played sparingly & still produced.

He was a rotational backup & still had 16tcks 4.5TFL’s & a sack despite only one start last year which was OK State.

In every other game he played, he had less than 20 snaps in every game because he was behind Phillips & Roche.

- Garvin only had 9tcks & 3TFL’s his Freshman year, the next season he had 60tcks & 17TFL’s.

- Rousseau had 5tcks before getting injured in the LSU, after coming back off a torn ACL as a Red Frosh had 54tcks 19.5TFL’s & 15.5 sacks.

- Jaelan Phillips after being out of Football for 2 years & having to completely redefine his physique & nearly 40lbs had 45tcks 15.5TFL’s & 8 sacks

- Chad Thomas after spending his first 2 years in D’No system only had 25tcks 2TFL’s & 1 sack, once playing in this Defense he finished his final 2 years with 41tcks 23TFL’s & 9 sacks

- Joe Jackson finished with 35.5TFL’s & 22.5 sacks in 3 years in this system.

People are insane if they think Jahfari Harvey isn’t going to produce, the system creates productivity.

Fans just think if you don’t have a player who has already had 10 sacks then there’s no way any of the guys we got can step up & produce. Jahfari Harvey was not some run of the 3-star diamond in the rough, he was a 4-star with a 91 rating who was productive in HS playing on a championship caliber Defense against very good comp.

I’m not as all in on Cam Williams yet, I think he has very good potential & can be another good Miami DE, but Harvey is without question the next up & as I said before, I GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s this season (barring injury).

Plus DeAndre Johnson will thrive in the Quincy Roche/Trevon Hill role in this Defense.

I’m unsure of Jess Simpsons overall recruiting ability in terms of him being able to land big time stars, but I have 0 doubts about his coaching acumen & his ability to maximize the potential of our DLine & get the best out of them. When Simpson was first here in 2018 we had an extremely stout DLine, we lead the nation in TFL’s, 3rd down conversion % & was top 3 in sacks & had the #4 total Defense overall, that was the year Gerald Willis had 18TFL’s, Garvin had 17TFL’s, Joe Jackson had 8.5TFL’s, even Shaq had 14 & Pinckney had 11.

I’m not worried about the DLine at all, I’m less worried about the LB corps with TWill now coaching them & I’m a lot more optimistic about the CB & safety group with TRob leading the way (as long as Ivey & Carter don’t start lol)

Not sleeping. I hope and believe you're right. But 1. Garvin and Rousseau didn't have to take on all the load themselves. Garvin had Joe Jackson and Rousseau had Garvin. Harvey is stepping in with a transfer taking the other spot. 2. Harvey was getting some practice field praise, no doubt. But coaches gushed about Garvin and Rousseau and Phillips before they hit the field, and all the posters who saw them gave glowing reports.

You're saying these two dudes are just as good. I really value your opinion and am ready to drink the Kool-Aid. I just feel a little more shy this time around. We lost 3 NFL DEs in one year. That's really hard on any program, even a Taint or Bama might take a step back. Not 1 or 2, but 3 all in the same year. Crazy.

Advertisement
People are sleeping on Harvey without recognizing that he was a Red Frosh last year that played sparingly & still produced.

He was a rotational backup & still had 16tcks 4.5TFL’s & a sack despite only one start last year which was OK State.

In every other game he played, he had less than 20 snaps in every game because he was behind Phillips & Roche.

- Garvin only had 9tcks & 3TFL’s his Freshman year, the next season he had 60tcks & 17TFL’s.

- Rousseau had 5tcks before getting injured in the LSU, after coming back off a torn ACL as a Red Frosh had 54tcks 19.5TFL’s & 15.5 sacks.

- Jaelan Phillips after being out of Football for 2 years & having to completely redefine his physique & nearly 40lbs had 45tcks 15.5TFL’s & 8 sacks

- Chad Thomas after spending his first 2 years in D’No system only had 25tcks 2TFL’s & 1 sack, once playing in this Defense he finished his final 2 years with 41tcks 23TFL’s & 9 sacks

People are insane if they think Jahfari Harvey isn’t going to produce, the system creates productivity.

Fans just think if you don’t have a player who has already had 10 sacks then there’s no way any of the guys we got can step up & produce. Jahfari Harvey was not some run of the 3-star diamond in the rough, he was a 4-star with a 91 rating who was productive in HS playing on a championship caliber Defense against very good comp.

I’m not as all in on Cam Williams yet, I think he has very good potential & can be another good Miami DE, but Harvey is without question the next up & as I said before, I GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s this season (barring injury).

Plus DeAndre Johnson will thrive in the Quincy Roche/Trevon Hill role in this Defense.

I’m unsure of Jess Simpsons overall recruiting ability in terms of him being able to land big time stars, but I have 0 doubts about his coaching acumen & his ability to maximize the potential of our DLine & get the best out of them. When Simpson was first here in 2018 we had an extremely stout DLine, we lead the nation in TFL’s, 3rd down conversion % & was top 3 in sacks & had the #4 total Defense overall, that was the year Gerald Willis had 18TFL’s, Garvin had 17TFL’s, Joe Jackson had 8.5TFL’s, even Shaq had 14 & Pinckney had 11.

I’m not worried about the DLine at all, I’m less worried about the LB corps with TWill now coaching them & I’m a lot more optimistic about the CB & safety group with TRob leading the way (as long as Ivey & Carter don’t start lol)
Objectively we are replacing an All-American on one end and an All-Conference player on the other end. Is that doable based on pure production? Sure. Phillips and Roche combined for 13 sacks and 30 TLFs in 10 games. No reason why that cannot be achieved. Personally I think Simpson's group will set the edge better.

Advertisement
Not sleeping. I hope and believe you're right. But 1. Garvin and Rousseau didn't have to take on all the load themselves. Garvin had Joe Jackson and Rousseau had Garvin. Harvey is stepping in with a transfer taking the other spot. 2. Harvey was getting some practice field praise, no doubt. But coaches gushed about Garvin and Rousseau and Phillips before they hit the field, and all the posters who saw them gave glowing reports.

You're saying these two dudes are just as good. I really value your opinion and am ready to drink the Kool-Aid. I just feel a little more shy this time around. We lost 3 NFL DEs in one year. That's really hard on any program, even a Taint or Bama might take a step back. Not 1 or 2, but 3 all in the same year. Crazy.
Never said Harvey & DeAndre or Cam are just as good as Phillips & Roche, I’m saying the system we run will still create productive DE’s because it has every year since Diaz has been because the style of play of this Defense is specifically designed to manufacture productivity on the DLine.

McIntosh, Norton, Willis, Joe Jackson, Garvin all had season with 10+ TFL’s & not single one of them has played a down in the league even though at least 3 of them were drafted.

The point people keep overlooking is the Defensive system, yall are only focusing on the players, but the system is what makes them productive college players.

Harvey had 16tcks 4.5TFL’s & 1 sack off less than 20 snaps a game as a BACKUP with only 1 start last year.

When you say he didn’t “flash” what exactly are you talking about?? Does the 3tcks 1.5TFL’s & 1 forced fumble strip sack he had vs OK St not count as a “flash”?

What about the Clemson game where he had 3tcks & 2TFL’s, does that count as a “flash” moment?

Maybe yall memories are just bad & yall have amnesia after every season, but in terms “flash” Harvey had plenty.
That’s fair. I shouldn’t have said flashed lol. But just off the podcast I get the context they were using. A lot of unproven guys we have returnin. I’m not questioning Harvey’s talent. Just have to see if he can put it all together and have a neo, Greg, Trent, joe Jackson typ szn this year

Phillips is an absolute freak and has the potential to be very productive in the NFL if he takes coaching. He seemed to play 110% every snap he had very little fundamentals of playing in a scheme. He was so talented it really didn’t matter per say but it showed up when it mattered. UNC was dreadful.

Advertisement
A DE group of Jafari Harvey, Cam Williams, Chanz Williams and Deandre Johnson is hardly pedestrian but is young and relatively inexperienced so I do understand the concern from that perspective. Coach Simpson being back addresses any concern I would have had however. We may not have a AA level DE this coming season but the DL as a whole will be very good and collectively take a step forward. Our depth at DT will be excellent with JHH, Nesta, Miller, and Ford with Holley and Blisset sure to make strides under Simpson's tutelage. That's not to mention Quinten Williams, Elijah Roberts, and true freshman phenom Leonard Taylor. We are going to be just fine and we will get better and better every week.

Feel like a lot of the success the DE's have will be partly predicated on what happens at DT, specifically with Nesta. If he can become a consistent, dominant force, it will really help out the more green DE's on the roster.

From my point of view, we're looking at probably the best DT rotation top to bottom in years.
Agree 100% about the DT rotation.

Big up on this man. Couldn't have said it better

Advertisement
Objectively we are replacing an All-American on one end and an All-Conference player on the other end. Is that doable based on pure production? Sure. Phillips and Roche combined for 13 sacks and 30 TLFs in 10 games. No reason why that cannot be achieved. Personally I think Simpson's group will set the edge better.
I agree. People need to stop thinking about replacing individual talent and think of it as replacing total production from the position. You don’t need two All Americans to get the same production we got from the DE position last year. We could certainly use an upgrade in fundamentals, especially against the run, and I think Simpson will bring that. Stroud is a good recruiter and his work with Jaelan Phillips’ pass rushing moves was commendable but the overall sloppiness and lack of discipline on the defensive line was really bad last year.

Going into 2021, we'll be positioned almost perfectly on the DL:
- 3 4th and 5th year vets for leadership (Nesta, Ford and Miller)
- 5 3rd year players who can be breakout players or at a minimum heavily contribute (Harvey, Blissett, Cam, JHH and Holley)
- 3 2nd year players who should also be physically ready to contribute and provide good depth (Chantz, Roberts and Quentin Williams)
- 3 1st year players to get their feet wet but not be heavily relied on (LT, Jabari and Haye)

That's 14 guys upfront who will have a full spring, summer and fall camp with Feeley and Jess. And 8 of the 14 are upperclassmen who should be ready to feast. That's exactly what you want - a DL of full grown men with 3+ years of development. This way, if Chantz, Elijah or Quentin blow up, it will be a welcome surprise - not something we have to depend on.

Our DL will be in the best position its been in in about 20 years. Grown *** men, veteran leadership, good talent and good rotational depth.

We might not get AA type numbers from any one guy, but we've got a stacked group that should bring ****. I'm excited about their potential.

I just want everyone here to remember that last year there were people who were REALLY WORRIED about our DE rotation.

If I remember correctly there were porsters on here saying we could not rely on Phillips who played very little college football snaps and had concussions issues. There were also people questioning Roche for not playin' Power 5 quality opponents and that he would be like Hill from VA Tech who got hype but did not live up to it.

Point is every offseason people complain and worry about the new guys but there always seems to be a next man up that shuts those mopes up for the most part.
I'm not worried about our DE rotation at all.

Advertisement
Back