Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

Advertisement
Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.

LCE: I agree in general but don't mistake depth for quality. Depth is great, yeah, but need to have some dudes in that group (for 2021 season). It's early but my "dudes" list is:

Nesta
JHH
LT
Deandre

I am not sold on Cam or even Harvey despite his incredible physical measureables. I saw SOME burst this past year but has a long way to go in terms of pass rushing repertoire. I think Chantz is a dude that has shown pop off the screen - I'm really curious to see his development this spring. LT is the only young dude that will have some impact this year. I really like Davis as our future stud DE but naturally, still too early.

It will be interesting to see how Blissett progresses back inside.

JMO

Sure guys will need to step up but Johnson has produced and will here.

Harvey finally played starter snaps against Ok State and the guy had a monster strip sack.

Chantz Williams will have a FR Jon Garvin impact at MINIMUM.

I hope these guys are paying attention to the underestimating by many.

It’s tackling fuel!
Only concern, why didn't Chantz get some snaps at the bowl game

Advertisement
I've been on the Harvey bandwagon for a while. I am optimistic. I saw that kid on campus as a true FR and unlike many of the linemen we've recruited over the years, he looked like a man. Physically, the dude looked NFL ready from day 1. Now, looks don't get you very far if you can't play, but I am hopeful with another summer in the weight room and now the expectation to step up and be the man, that he will.

Also, if JHH makes the leap we all think he can make, it should make everyone's job a little easier.

Only concern, why didn't Chantz get some snaps at the bowl game
LOL . . . so that McCloud could! That was pretty **** disappointing. A LB turns DE a couple weeks before the bowl game and gets snaps ahead of guys that have been second or third string all year. I don't recall snap counts, but it seemed that McCloud got reps ahead of Harvey and Cam Williams too.

LCE: I agree in general but don't mistake depth for quality. Depth is great, yeah, but need to have some dudes in that group (for 2021 season). It's early but my "dudes" list is:

Nesta
JHH
LT
Deandre

I am not sold on Cam or even Harvey despite his incredible physical measureables. I saw SOME burst this past year but has a long way to go in terms of pass rushing repertoire. I think Chantz is a dude that has shown pop off the screen - I'm really curious to see his development this spring. LT is the only young dude that will have some impact this year. I really like Davis as our future stud DE but naturally, still too early.

It will be interesting to see how Blissett progresses back inside.

JMO
Didn't Harvey get a sack on ok states tackle that hadn't given one up all year? Im prt sure he was one of the highest rated tackles in the country and he whooped him for a strip sack

LOL . . . so that McCloud could! That was pretty **** disappointing. A LB turns DE a couple weeks before the bowl game and gets snaps ahead of guys that have been second or third string all year. I don't recall snap counts, but it seemed that McCloud got reps ahead of Harvey and Cam Williams too.
He definitely didn't get more than Harvey

Advertisement
He definitely didn't get more than Harvey
You might be right. I don't know. I just recall being upset that entire game and that was one of many things that ****ed me off. The bowl is a good opportunity to provide a little showcase for your youth and here's McCloud taking snaps. That was frustrating.

You might be right. I don't know. I just recall being upset that entire game and that was one of many things that ****ed me off. The bowl is a good opportunity to provide a little showcase for your youth and here's McCloud taking snaps. That was frustrating.
Yeah it's understandable. I wanted to see chantz play instead

Fair enough. People are always talking about the next man in with great hope that next year is the year. GR15 kind of came out of no where so maybe one of our many Williams can do the same. That said the whispers of what a freak JP15 was were very loud and QR was a guy that had shown production on the field. We don’t have that IMO. Hopefully someone bursts out. I liked the flashes I saw from Cam early on but he seemed to slow down a little as the season progressed.

then again I’m a moron so I’m likely wrong.
Little comment I have here. You give credit to JP whispers of him being a freak, but if you've read any articles in the last two years, Harvey is actually the one the coaches are talking about being the most explosive and athletic.

Why don't you give credit to those whispers?

Little comment I have here. You give credit to JP whispers of him being a freak, but if you've read any articles in the last two years, Harvey is actually the one the coaches are talking about being the most explosive and athletic.

Why don't you give credit to those whispers?
I hope Harvey is the truth and I’m a million miles from Miami so I don’t know shiit. But I heard a bunch of comments after scrimmages and practices where people like Diaz said stuff like “Jaelan Phillips was doing Jaelan Phillips things” where they made him sound like a real outlier.

people may be saying similar stuff about Harvey- admittedly I don’t read everything and may have missed it.

im just a fan and my opinion means little but from what I’ve seen in game performance thus far, Cam Williams has flashed more than Harvey from my uneducated usually hammered during game perspective.

Advertisement
He's 6'4" 265 pounds. IMO, starting him at end and moving him inside as he bulks up is a good way to utilize his skills and let him develop a thorough understanding of how to play across the line.
That’s his un-updated 247 height/weight, he’s bigger than that.

Last edited:
That’s his un-updated 247 weight, he’s bigger than that.

Yeah, thought someone on the recruiting board posted that he was closer to the 290 range. Either way, it's VERY rare for a DT to make a splash as a true freshman. That's one of the hardest positions to make that transition and while he can provide some nice depth, I caution the "bUt I tHoUgHt hE wAs spOsEd tO bE GrEaT" folks from expecting him to be all american year 1.

That’s his un-updated 247 height/weight, he’s bigger than that.
I heard he was plying in the 280 range but Cribby told me he wasn’t that big yet. I wouldn’t have a problem knocking him inside on passing downs even if he’s only 270-275

Advertisement
Yeah, thought someone on the recruiting board posted that he was closer to the 290 range. Either way, it's VERY rare for a DT to make a splash as a true freshman. That's one of the hardest positions to make that transition and while he can provide some nice depth, I caution the "bUt I tHoUgHt hE wAs spOsEd tO bE GrEaT" folks from expecting him to be all american year 1.
While it's generally true that DTs don't always make a big impact their freshman year, Bresee and Davis from Clemson made All-ACC in their first season. Lawd knows those hillbilly media voters had something to do with it but some players are gifted naturally and Taylor seems to fit that mold. I think we'd be wasting his talents on the edge but I'll defer to Simpson and Diaz on that one.

It’s hilarious that people think McCloud will be good at DE. Did y’all watch the Bowl Game? Dude has been here 16 years and looks more lost on the field now than he did as a Frosh.. I know Manny has a hard on for vet players but it will be ridiculous if he’s getting major snaps next year...

I remember one play where McCloud looked extremely lost but if you go back and watch he flashed a little twitch and even hurried the OSU QB on what would have been an interception had Keontra Smith turned around and located the ball in the air (save us Coach Robinson). Let's just be grateful he's not competing at LB anymore and hope he excels at DE.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back