Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Then there is this angle...
View attachment 184238

It doesnt have to be RUIZ... another Miami marketing guy can offer Wong some cash to do a deal for HIS firm. Might be a way out.
But because this is all so public thanks to Wong and his guy, any deal would be looked at as simply a pay for play deal to keep Wong at Miami. We know that's what is going but this would be explicit. I'm not sure Wong could go play any place with an NIL deal attached. Quotes from his guy can be pointed to and looked at and say Wong is clearly looking for a place to play based on NIL. No longer does he have the cover of a marketing deal. If you want Wong to play at your school you're gonna pay up and the world will know it.

Advertisement
hes not done if a third party guy in South Florida finds a marketing or other role for Wong and offers him additional (seems RUIZ deal is not EXCLUSIVE) cash.... seems to be allowed and maybe what the agent was seeking all along...
Can Miami play him when the world knows that it took more money to get him to stay? That's explicitly pay for play. Miami will stay out of it but if he signs another deal to stay you can bet the NCAA will actually have a reason to start asking questions.

But because this is all so public thanks to Wong and his guy, any deal would be looked at as simply a pay for play deal to keep Wong at Miami. We know that's what is going but this would be explicit. I'm not sure Wong could go play any place with an NIL deal attached. Quotes from his guy can be pointed to and looked at and say Wong is clearly looking for a place to play based on NIL. No longer does he have the cover of a marketing deal. If you want Wong to play at your school you're gonna pay up and the world will know it.
Needs to fire him tomorrow morning and clear the air.

Holy **** this thread is full of a bunch of people with zero short term memory.
*Wong was our 4th or 5th best player during the NCAA run? Give me a break, he scored 22,21,7&15 in four games.

Wong is a two time third team All ACC. You know how many other players in program history have done that or better? Well me neither but its probably 0 or 1.

Wong came here and has been a leader for 3 years and a really good player. Stop trashing him because it makes you feel better about him leaving. I’m not sure there’s a better player than him left in the portal. Maybe so but he would immediately be a top 10 transfer.

As for the situation this was bound to happen. I get why putting the numbers out helps but it really does more harm than good. Big picture now if Wong does come back how do the coaches and other players feel about him? This has a huge potential to create a cancer within the team. Wong could decide he just needs to get his for the NBA scouts and doesn’t participate in the team philosophy any longer.

And finally I’ve been amazed at the ones of you on this board acting like this problem would never arise because it doesn’t at your work or in the NBA. First, these are kids who are teenagers or barley 20. This is their first experience with real money and they’ve got some hack “NIL” agent representing them that needs them for one MAYBE two years to get money from.

Second, when you all say “well my work hire people for more than I make and I don’t complain” Bull ****. If you are making $50,000 a year to punch a keyboard and your boss comes to you and says “hey I want you to meet Bill, he has the same experience as you and will be doing the exact same job as you but he does type a little faster than you and we are going to pay him $150,000 instead. “ if you’ve got balls you would have a major issue with that and say something.

I believe the players should get money but this **** is out of control and only ends badly. For me personally it’s killing D1 college athletics. The sport is well on its way to nothing but mercenaries and zero loyalty. Wong is proof of that and the tip of the iceberg.

Rant over.

I like Wong. I like the new guys. I like even more new guys if they smell the NIL money and hit the portal in the next 2 days then come here. In the pro's with free agents (think baseball) and caps, this is real complex stuff...

...my concern tho' is let's say Wong & them smooth it out. And he plays (here) for less. How do you stop the natual resentment, jealousy, etc. IS Wong gonna wanna pass the ball to someone who makes twice as much as him, or take the shot himself? How do the pro's get this right?

There once was team spirit above and beyond everything in AMATEUR sprots... now maybe not so much? Its a new age.
He doesn't pass the ball now, doubt it would be worse...

Advertisement
wondering how this works. Hearing Gators fatcats have formed a $5M pool to offer desirable portal people N.I.L. Can they confer privately with Wong and make a gentleman's agreement. Wong leaves, goes to portal, goes to Gainesville, signs an NIL there. Is he in violation of RUIZ contract? NCAA violation? oh the misery.

Holy **** this thread is full of a bunch of people with zero short term memory.
*Wong was our 4th or 5th best player during the NCAA run? Give me a break, he scored 22,21,7&15 in four games.

Wong is a two time third team All ACC. You know how many other players in program history have done that or better? Well me neither but its probably 0 or 1.

Wong came here and has been a leader for 3 years and a really good player. Stop trashing him because it makes you feel better about him leaving. I’m not sure there’s a better player than him left in the portal. Maybe so but he would immediately be a top 10 transfer.

As for the situation this was bound to happen. I get why putting the numbers out helps but it really does more harm than good. Big picture now if Wong does come back how do the coaches and other players feel about him? This has a huge potential to create a cancer within the team. Wong could decide he just needs to get his for the NBA scouts and doesn’t participate in the team philosophy any longer.

And finally I’ve been amazed at the ones of you on this board acting like this problem would never arise because it doesn’t at your work or in the NBA. First, these are kids who are teenagers or barley 20. This is their first experience with real money and they’ve got some hack “NIL” agent representing them that needs them for one MAYBE two years to get money from.

Second, when you all say “well my work hire people for more than I make and I don’t complain” Bull ****. If you are making $50,000 a year to punch a keyboard and your boss comes to you and says “hey I want you to meet Bill, he has the same experience as you and will be doing the exact same job as you but he does type a little faster than you and we are going to pay him $150,000 instead. “ if you’ve got balls you would have a major issue with that and say something.

I believe the players should get money but this **** is out of control and only ends badly. For me personally it’s killing D1 college athletics. The sport is well on its way to nothing but mercenaries and zero loyalty. Wong is proof of that and the tip of the iceberg.

Rant over.
Mostly good post. Ppl turning in Wong's skill are simply doing what most do to cope with the potential loss. Happens every time on this site. Wong is good and would definitely be a crucial part to next years team.

Also, he can be upset and want more money. Sure, that feeling is normal.

HOWEVER, two points:

1. He and his agent just signed the Ruiz NIL deal. That's a contract you signed, its not right to turn around a few weeks later and say nevermind, I want more or I'm out.

2. The precedent this will set is simply unsustainable. No matter how important Wong is, you can't incentivize a player by threatening you to leave if you dont restructure his 3 week old deal. Thats a line that can't be crossed imo. You let him walk, and replace him in the portal. Plenty of comparable talent.

Also as a side note, NIL already ruined college athletics as we knew it. That sport is gone. I'm just glad we have a billionaire on our side that loves the U. Perfect timing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is such a **** show and we’re just getting started. I hate what this is going to do to college sports. Embarrassing
Its was a SH*T show already with bagggz.... now just more out in the open. Seems like an improvement, but not 1000% sure.

Advertisement
He is transfering if they don't increase it. Tons of teams would sign him. He has plenty of leverage.
I'd be interested to see how many business or NIL collectives tied to schools would match or even pay more than Ruiz did when the entire college basketball world is gonna be eyeing what Wong gets since he just made himself the face of "whats wrong with NIL in college sports". As soon as he sets foot on your campus for an OV all the talk is gonna be about how much you're paying and is bringing in Wong clear pay for play? He might have cost himself.

Advertisement
I'd be interested to see how many business or NIL collectives tied to schools would match or even pay more than Ruiz did when the entire college basketball world is gonna be eyeing what Wong gets since he just made himself the face of "whats wrong with NIL in college sports". As soon as he sets foot on your campus for an OV all the talk is gonna be about how much you're paying and is bringing in Wong clear pay for play? He might have cost himself.
No one cares about the pay for play right now. If they did TAMU would be the first on their list.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Back