Wong is an NBA star

cyrez8

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
He won't just make the NBA, he's going to be a star. The kid is one of the best I've ever seen at getting to the basket. Unstoppable.

Big win and turnaround on this season - a ton of credit goes to Coach L, he obviously still has it and there's a reason why he'll be in the HOF

Advertisement
He won't just make the NBA, he's going to be a star. The kid is one of the best I've ever seen at getting to the basket. Unstoppable.

Big win and turnaround on this season - a ton of credit goes to Coach L, he obviously still has it and there's a reason why he'll be in the HOF
Cyrez,

Do you like wong's potential better than Tim James or James Jones at this stage?

I realize different kind of player but still.

Cyrez,

Do you like wong's potential better than Tim James or James Jones at this stage?

I realize different kind of player but still.
I think so for sure. I think he'll turn into a better pro than Lonnie who hasn't measured up. It isn't always about sheer physical talent. Wong just has this amazing will and mental edge to him. The best all time are always the ones with that mental edge that can't be broken.

I think so for sure. I think he'll turn into a better pro than Lonnie who hasn't measured up. It isn't always about sheer physical talent. Wong just has this amazing will and mental edge to him. The best all time are always the ones with that mental edge that can't be broken.
Just like Michael Jordan but not saying Wong will be MJ, talking about mental edge.

Lonnie hasn't been an immediate superstar, but he's been a solid guy that has flashed multiple times. The problem is that he didn't get minutes early on in his career, because the Spurs wouldn't embrace the rebuild. He's improved his numbers throughout his career, he just needs consistent minutes and you'll see him become a solid NBA player. He's averaging 11.2 PPG this season, but only plays around 22 MPG. Give him starter's minutes and see what he can do.

Advertisement
Lonnie hasn't been an immediate superstar, but he's been a solid guy that has flashed multiple times. The problem is that he didn't get minutes early on in his career, because the Spurs wouldn't embrace the rebuild. He's improved his numbers throughout his career, he just needs consistent minutes and you'll see him become a solid NBA player. He's averaging 11.2 PPG this season, but only plays around 22 MPG. Give him starter's minutes and see what he can do.
I definitely think Lonnie still has time to reach full potential. He should be dominating with his abilities. I think he lacks a bit of Wong's mental edge.

I definitely think Lonnie still has time to reach full potential. He should be dominating with his abilities. I think he lacks a bit of Wong's mental edge.
Every guy isn't going to have that kind of edge. The fact that Lonnie has survived and found his way, despite what happened to him in his past, is amazing. Lonnie has some legit mental strength, but he also keeps things in perspective. I think that Lonnie needs a franchise to go all in on him and show him that he is loved. I don't think Pop is that kind of leader, he's used to guys like Tim Duncan, guys that don't need that little bit of extra support. Lonnie needs that, because if you know his story, it's terrifying.

Wong gives me flashbacks of D Wade. He can get a bucket at will… no matter what. It’s incredible to see. I remember watching Marquette in Wade’s last year… it was something to see.
Feels like im slurping L but so far things have been pleasantly surprising. Games r sill frequently painful to watch the rebounds r an issue n when the perimeter shots dont drop enough the failure to have a guy or 2 near the rim means we get much less second chance opportunity than the opponent.

Wong & Kam are (usually) simply great and when Gak and Moore have a decent day, and not too many mishaps from them and Walker and Miller (7 for 9, 2 assts 2 steals no PF no TO today) and Joseph are on beam, this team could go much further than many here (and me) expected. Wooga n Sam can add some fun, too. Its all so RAD!

Advertisement
I hate to say this, but I don’t see him being better than Lonnie in the pros or even getting drafted. He doesnt shoot particularly well from 3s and he isn’t much of a passer. Hes great at getting to basket now but his speed isn’t going to be as big a difference in the pros If he can’t shoot in today’s game. he needs to improve his shot alot. I hope I’m 100% wrong but he’s more likely to be a foreign pro

I hate to say this, but I don’t see him being better than Lonnie in the pros or even getting drafted. He doesnt shoot particularly well from 3s and he isn’t much of a passer. Hes great at getting to basket now but his speed isn’t going to be as big a difference in the pros If he can’t shoot in today’s game. he needs to improve his shot alot. I hope I’m 100% wrong but he’s more likely to be a foreign pro
It's refreshing to hear a voice of reason. Wong is a great College 'Balla. That does not mean it crosses over to the league. However, I do think Wong will get drafted. I'm just not going to be delirious due to a current win streak.

It's refreshing to hear a voice of reason. Wong is a great College 'Balla. That does not mean it crosses over to the league. However, I do think Wong will get drafted. I'm just not going to be delirious due to a current win streak.

I honestly have no idea what Wong’s true NBA prospects are… but his ability to get a bucket at will in the college game is as good as I’ve ever seen (over the last couple games). Even reminiscent of Wade (who also wasn’t guaranteed from 3, and in fact Wong has been better from 3 than Wade - Wade’s career 3PT% at Marquette was 33%).

If somebody could clarify I think Wong was advised to stay in college that it was suggested by some NBA scouts ?
Personally I love the kid and have no idea how he would do in the NBA.

Advertisement
I think a major NBA reservation among some scouts about Wong was that he may not have a natural position (not a true PG, and a bit too small to play the 2).

Think some hoped that Wong could use this season to gain experience in running the point. To the extent that is not happening (what with Charlie Moore here) ...

OTOH, he's improving his 3 pt shot (an area cited for improvement). Think the League already liked his athleticism, scoring ability, handle, quick first step, ability to create his own shot, etc.

Advertisement
I think a major NBA reservation among some scouts about Wong was that he may not have a natural position (not a true PG, and a bit too small to play the 2).

Think some hoped that Wong could use this season to gain experience in running the point. To the extent that is not happening (what with Charlie Moore here) ...

OTOH, he's improving his 3 pt shot (an area cited for improvement). Think the League already liked his athleticism, scoring ability, handle, quick first step, ability to create his own shot, etc.
Interesting points

He was projected a 2nd round pick

He will be picked in the 1st this year
Go look it up, i just did and there are more places where he is not in draft then where he makes the second round. He is a great college player, but doesn’t translate well. And the comparison to wade is crazy….. wade was super explosive to the rim. He couldn’t shoot but he was also great defensively alr3ady and a willing passer. There is zero comparison there. He was a top 5 pick!!!! I know he’s a Miami player but wtf

Go look it up, i just did and there are more places where he is not in draft then where he makes the second round. He is a great college player, but doesn’t translate well. And the comparison to wade is crazy….. wade was super explosive to the rim. He couldn’t shoot but he was also great defensively alr3ady and a willing passer. There is zero comparison there. He was a top 5 pick!!!! I know he’s a Miami player but wtf

Wong is shooting 61.7% from 2 this year through 14 games. He has scored at will the last 2 games… including at the rim.

Wade shot 51.9% from 2 his last year.

I am not predicting that Wong will be a NBA superstar. But I think Wong’s scoring ability in college might not be far off from Wade.

Advertisement
Back