Wong is an NBA star

The spurs had guys like Stephen Jackson do well. Stephen Jackson is a certified goon hood dude and he flourished there. There stars maybe guys like a Tim Duncan who is a mute but they still have some rough around the edges guys if thats what you meant?.

Im in line with @Gables Canes though...he needs an offensive system that allows him to chuck it..lol Thats his thing in my opinion and what he showed here...in games he does that for the spurs he puts up numbers...but thats just not there system..or a place like Miami either. I think going to the Spurs may have been the best move for him...he could of went to a sh*tty organization...chuck up shots...and flamed out by now.

what your toughts?. What teams yout hink he could fit on
I check the San Antonio box scores daily to see if they played and how he did. He is a low fg% guy from 3s and in general. And it’s gotten worse not better over the years. His freakish athleticism keeps him in league cause there is something there to work with….but he hasn’t improved. I tend to agree with you, if you don’t develop in SA then I dont know what the problem is…..aside from what you mention with Jackson, they’ve had guys from every country, they’re the United Nations there…. And they seem to develop them. He needs to keep working on his shot and just taking the better shots in general. And cause he doesn’t pass well, its even more important.

Advertisement
I'm referring to his issues with depression and the problems he's talked about in regards to being sexually abused. He's said that it's been a struggle sometimes getting his mind right.

Lonnie's issues are a little different than someone like Stephen Jackson, who was just a goon knucklehead. Those are guys that the Spurs can and have been able to work with. Lonnie on the other hand, is a lot more complex, and I don't know if Pop has the time to deal with it and do what needs to be done to get Lonnie comfortable. You can tell that he's not happy being in San Antonio, especially when you watch him on the bench. That said, I think that the Spurs system doesn't help him because he's never able to get in rhythm. How can you develop when you don't know if you'll play?

Lonnie needs to get on a team that actually wants to invest in him, and let him play and learn. It may be a bad team, but at least he'll get to develop, or we'll be able to know for sure that he won't take the next step.
The problem is he isnt good enough to invest in right now. You can’t shoot 40% overall and like 30% on 3s as a shooting guard.

To be good to great guard In the Fiba, I mean the new Nba you either must have either special athletic ability or be super skilled. He's neither. Maybe he catches on towards the end of the bench or the ceiling of a 7-8 th man. I see no way in **** he's a star or even a star. I'm pulling for him though.
Same thing people said about Steph

thanks im not a fully bball guy but this was some good dialogue. Im a Lonnie Walker fan...im a hal way um basketball fan cause i favor villanova...but i want our guys to do well in the league. Love that Bruce Brown has developed.

Lonie just seems to look like the crazy athletic guy with the flat shot...I havent watch Wong to see if he is similar.

Same thing people said about Steph
Actually you're making my point, Steph is the most skilled player in nba history. You must have one or the other. Super skilled like a nash / curry or a very explosive athlete. One trait is needed to be a really good nba player.

I watched alot of steph at Davidson. Wong isn’t in that stratosphere ( nobody is) ,that’s like saying every 6’4 wr can be Randy Moss. Curry almost carried that team to a final four just off crazy shooting.

Steph is a unicorn , when you start using unicorns as the example it’s very unlikely.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually you're making my point, Steph is the most skilled player in nba history. You must have one or the other. Super skilled like a nash / curry or a very explosive athlete. One trait is needed to be a really good nba player.

I watched alot of steph at Davidson. Wong isn’t in that stratosphere,that’s like saying every 6’4 wr can be Randy Moss. Curry almost carried that team to a final four just off crazy shooting.

Steph is a unicorn , when you start using unicorns as the example it’s very unlikely.
Wong IS very explosive. He doesn't necessarily play above the rim but he explodes by people. His finishing still needs work. If he were a better finisher he'd be in the conversation for first round pick.

Comparing him to Curry is a bridge too far though.

Wong IS very explosive. He doesn't necessarily play above the rim but he explodes by people. His finishing still needs work. If he were a better finisher he'd be in the conversation for first round pick.

Comparing him to Curry is a bridge too far though.
I think he’s explosive for college but he’s no Lonnie Walker. If wong can find a way to hang around the league or make a rotation that’s good . Imo that’s his ceiling.

I watched alot of steph at Davidson. Wong isn’t in that stratosphere ( nobody is) ,that’s like saying every 6’4 wr can be Randy Moss. Curry almost carried that team to a final four just off crazy shooting.

And for some reason ppl dont list steph as a good athlete...when he actually is as well. He is extremely quick and proficient with the ball

There's a reason Steph fell to the Warriors and if they didn't pick him, he would have fallen to the 2nd round. No one believed his game would translate but he created a new era. An era Jack would have flourished in. Wong is by far and away the best drive to the basket small guard in college basketball right now. He is unstoppable to the rim and a brilliant finisher. He's not Steph but he will make the NBA and will be a star.

Advertisement
There's a reason Steph fell to the Warriors and if they didn't pick him, he would have fallen to the 2nd round. No one believed his game would translate but he created a new era. An era Jack would have flourished in. Wong is by far and away the best drive to the basket small guard in college basketball right now. He is unstoppable to the rim and a brilliant finisher. He's not Steph but he will make the NBA and will be a star.
Once agin you're trying to use a unicorn type situation to say Wong will be a star. That alone means it's very unlikley.

Second Curry was never falling past the teens better yet the second wound. I remember that draft well. Most mocks had him a lottery pick and as high as four ( Kings)

I used to care about basketball and the draft. I was as big a basketball junkie as football. Until the nba turned into a no defense and three point contest . It's Fiba.

Back to curry ....,,the biggest issues with curry was he was considered a tweener, he wasn't a pg or a sg. They also doubted his athletic ability. That's why he moved to pg his last year to show he could lead the offense , pass and score. That's why he shot up the boards. Another example of how much of a freak occurrence curry was scouts saying Mike Bibby was his ceiling, Kerr and Redick was more likely lol.

Wong is a Jr playing against mostly Fr or soph, in a very young sport. The truly elite guys are normally gone by now. Let’s be real Miami is older than some nba teams lol. Theres more skilled , athletic players than Wong in the NBDL right now.

You saying he'll be a " star ' is a huge mouth full. Him making a team and hanging around is a pretty big statement in itself, if you go by the percentages.

I respect your opinion but I can't see star, I don't even see special or really good. I see a nice college player on a very old team playing well. Nothing says nba starter better yet star. Iimo his ceiling is a rotation guy or just hanging around. Which is impressive beens there’s only twelve spots on a team.

Thats just my take , I'd love to be wrong, or should I say Wong? i‘m sure this will get bumped by somebody one day lol.

Last edited:
And for some reason ppl dont list steph as a good athlete...when he actually is as well. He is extremely quick and proficient with the ball
As a white guy I always heard " your sneaky quick " lol. He's the nba version. Even though he's not white he got judged the same. Go read his scouting report, there was a lot of white code in it. " Lacks athletic ability , very smart player , great shooter but can't slash".

I think he's an average Nba athlete ( which is still good) but his skill level makes him Iverson quick lol. He's quick then add in his super human skill.

He's the biggest headache to guard in the nba. He stays moving non stop , constantly coming off picks , then stops and sets back screens , then two players leave their guy to take him on the screen, leaving a back door cut wide open for the picker or cutter. If you don't jump the screen and his quick release you're f'd on the j. That same quick release mixed with his pretty good quicks , unreal strong right / left dribble and deep range makes him unguardable. Unreal shot maker who takes god awful shots yet still stays at or around 90, 50, 40.

I've watched bball since the 80's and there's nothing like him. But he's also ruined the nba lol. Now everyone thinks they can do that dumb ****.

Last edited:
LoL......i don't even know what to say anymore. Sorry to everyone else that this thread turned into Magnum PI and his obsession with my posts. I'll stop cause I don't have the energy for idiots. Go Canes.

Put him on ignore and move on... don't waste your mental energy on arrogant shmucks

Advertisement
Again, the Spurs and how they operate tends to work for a particular type of player. Lonnie is the kind of guy that needs a certain environment to thrive, due to his background. Certain things that have gone on with his minutes and how he has been coached leads me to believe that the Spurs may not be a good fit for his personality type. Ironically enough, a place like Miami may be a better fit, because they have a history of successfully working with guys like Lonnie.

Spurs were a steadying environment for him to work out his personal issues early in his career... i think he will fit better some where else as of now

Advertisement
Back