Wong is an NBA star

Wong is shooting 61.7% from 2 this year through 14 games. He has scored at will the last 2 games… including at the rim.

Wade shot 51.9% from 2 his last year.

I am not predicting that Wong will be a NBA superstar. But I think Wong’s scoring ability in college might not be far off from Wade.
If you want to say they score similar points, fine… but wade averaged 19/game in college shooting 50% both years. Wong is barely above 41-43% first two years. He’s 50% this year but that will go down. Wade averaged 4 assists. They aren’t close to a similar comp. And im just talking in college. For pros, Wades passing was a game changer… he was such a willing passer and so efficient, things that just aren’t in Wongs game. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but he’s not an NBA talent.

Our last several nba guys could shoot (Reed - and he barely made it) or we’re insane athletes like Walker). I think Wongs best chance is to be a Bruce brown.… use the athleticism to become a dialed in defender. Get some points on cuts to rim And work on corner 3s (Bruce doesn’t have 3s still ) . But his offense is pedestrian in the league. At least to me.

but I hope he makes it and earns a ton of money.

Advertisement
If you want to say they score similar points, fine… but wade averaged 19/game in college shooting 50% both years. Wong is barely above 41-43% first two years. He’s 50% this year but that will go down. Wade averaged 4 assists. They aren’t close to a similar comp. And im just talking in college. For pros, Wades passing was a game changer… he was such a willing passer and so efficient, things that just aren’t in Wongs game. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but he’s not an NBA talent.

Our last several nba guys could shoot (Reed - and he barely made it) or we’re insane athletes like Walker). I think Wongs best chance is to be a Bruce brown.… use the athleticism to become a dialed in defender. Get some points on cuts to rim And work on corner 3s (Bruce doesn’t have 3s still ) . But his offense is pedestrian in the league. At least to me.

He isnt as good as Bruc Brown defensively but has more scoring ability.

He isnt as good as Bruc Brown defensively but has more scoring ability.
Agreed for sure. But he has the athelticism to focus on the defense more and make a great career out of it. Again, i don't think he will be an excellent scorer if he makes pros, but he has enough scoring that if he develops the 3 more and defends more, he can make it.

Wong's limitations are his lack of great length, mediocre 3 point shooting, and mediocre defense. However, his outstanding mid range game and driving capabilities are enough to earn him a shot in the NBA.

Wong is not Wade, obviously, but Wade was on better teams in college and sat out his first year. It's not totally fair to compare their stats, at least not until this year.

You don't have to be a 3-and-D player to succeed in the NBA. Lots of guys that don't have the prototypical modern skillset have successful careers - Westbrook, DeRozan, Draymond, Julius Randle, etc.

I think on the right team, Wong could average 15+ in the NBA. He needs to improve his 3 point shooting a bit, and I believe he will.

Advertisement
I think a major NBA reservation among some scouts about Wong was that he may not have a natural position (not a true PG, and a bit too small to play the 2).

Think some hoped that Wong could use this season to gain experience in running the point. To the extent that is not happening (what with Charlie Moore here) ...

OTOH, he's improving his 3 pt shot (an area cited for improvement). Think the League already liked his athleticism, scoring ability, handle, quick first step, ability to create his own shot, etc.
Wong has been bringing the ball up and initiating the offense late in games the past couple of games. It's been very effective. L might be planning to let him do more of that as the season unfolds.

Wong needs to gain some weight, he came in at 165, they list him at 185lb now but I think he's more 175. He'll be 21 in a few weeks but he just has a body that cant gain I see him being pushed around too easily in the NBA. Wade was 220lb as a reference.

To be good to great guard In the Fiba, I mean the new Nba you either must have either special athletic ability or be super skilled. He's neither. Maybe he catches on towards the end of the bench or the ceiling of a 7-8 th man. I see no way in **** he's a star or even a star. I'm pulling for him though.

I’m just here to say I love to eat crow. I’m so sorry to have talked so foul on your name coach L. The team is flawed for sure but man you’re putting on a clinic. I was wrong!!! Wong I’m not sure is a better player than Lonnie but he is 100% a nba player. He needs a shooting coach badly. Right now he’s skinny demar derozan without the atomic bomb Athleticism

Advertisement
To be good to great guard In the Fiba, I mean the new Nba you either must have either special athletic ability or be super skilled. He's neither. Maybe he catches on towards the end of the bench or the ceiling of a 7-8 th man. I see no way in **** he's a star or even a star. I'm pulling for him though.
The guy's shot-making is absolutely special. Reminds me a bit of Goran Dragic in that way - not particularly athletic, but an automatic finisher near the rim.

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen.

Wong is not Wade, obviously, but Wade was on better teams in college and sat out his first year. It's not totally fair to compare their stats, at least not until this year.

You don't have to be a 3-and-D player to succeed in the NBA. Lots of guys that don't have the prototypical modern skillset have successful careers - Westbrook, DeRozan, Draymond, Julius Randle, etc.

I think on the right team, Wong could average 15+ in the NBA. He needs to improve his 3 point shooting a bit, and I believe he will.

Yeah… I should have been more clear because I was the first to mention Wade.

Wong is not Wade. Wong does not come close to measuring up to Wade in several areas.

Wong’s ability - over the last several games - to just go get a bucket when the team needs points has been Wade-like to my eye.

And I do think his quickness and athleticism (combined with his body control) is underestimated by some on this thread.

Gonna be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Wong is far from being an NBA star. Like very, very far. Does he have potential to make it to the league? Yeah, I think you could say that, but lets hold our horses on NBA stardom talk. As good as he's been in recent weeks I still think it's still debatable if he'll even get picked in the 2022 draft. Has a lot to work on in his game. He's certainly got some skill. Good shooter when he's got it going, but a bit inconsistent to be a legit 2 at the next level. Still struggles at times to get quality shots against elite defenders. Above average ball-handler for his position and his athleticism isn't elite at the pro level. Leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end as well. Don't think he does anything elite to warrant an NBA spot yet. For my money, I think he goes overseas after college. Will earn some money there, mastering his craft before he gets a legitimate shot at an NBA roster.

Wong is far from being an NBA star. Like very, very far. Does he have potential to make it to the league? Yeah, I think you could say that, but lets hold our horses on NBA stardom talk. As good as he's been in recent weeks I still think it's still debatable if he'll even get picked in the 2022 draft. Has a lot to work on in his game. He's certainly got some skill. Good shooter when he's got it going, but a bit inconsistent to be a legit 2 at the next level. Still struggles at times to get quality shots against elite defenders. Above average ball-handler for his position and his athleticism isn't elite at the pro level. Leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end as well. Don't think he does anything elite to warrant an NBA spot yet. For my money, I think he goes overseas after college. Will earn some money there, mastering his craft before he gets a legitimate shot at an NBA roster.

Wager?

Advertisement

Ok I don’t want to keep going but there is about a 0-5% chance that Wong averages 15pts in nba……and it’s closer to 0. He will be very lucky to get drafted.. But from your lips to gods ear that it happens and again that he earns a lot of money. Still a fantastic college player and love that he’s on our team.

I'd hate to make a bet like that, cause I don't want to find myself rooting against the young man. I too hope I'm wrong and he's able to live his dream to the fullest. Appreciate the fact he plays for the U. However, just don't see what part of his game is elite at this point in time. I don't think he shoots it well enough to be a 2G in the NBA. Haven't seen enough from him in the P&R game to run the point at the next level. Don't see how he makes it straight to the league and NBA stardom like some here are thinking.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I’ve said, I hope he proves me very wrong. He seems a great kid and has been excellent here. And I agree with King, he can make a good living overseas and enjoy the world. Just don’t see NBA talent yet…. That’s all.

i’m definitely no expert… I’m also not a little girl who gets ruffled by analysis that isn’t cheerleading like I guess someone does.

As I’ve said, I hope he proves me very wrong. He seems a great kid and has been excellent here. And I agree with King, he can make a good living overseas and enjoy the world. Just don’t see NBA talent yet…. That’s all.

i’m definitely no expert… I’m also not a little girl who gets ruffled by analysis that isn’t cheerleading like I guess someone does.

I’m glad you’re not a little girl. Your analysis is useless and whiny tho.

Go to a game and root for the team you claim to support and stop trying to inflate your ego with garbage predictions about the percentage nba prospects of someone whose shoes you aren’t fit to shine.

Your schtick is pathetic.
1641274868078.png

Last edited:
I’m glad you’re not a little girl. Your analysis is useless and whiny tho.

Go to a game and root for the team you claim to support and stop trying to inflate your ego with garbage predictions about the percentage nba prospects of someone whose shoes you aren’t fit to shine.
It’s an opinion site you mental midget. I didn’t say anything bad about the kid just that he’s not a pro. Look it up and others that certainly know more than me or your stupid ***, seem to agree. never did I say I was better. Pull his Balls out of your mouth long enough to take a breath and realize it was just analysis of his game. Or go tuck him in and read him a story. But fcut off either way

It’s an opinion site you mental midget. I didn’t say anything bad about the kid just that he’s not a pro. Look it up and others that certainly know more than me or your stupid ***, seem to agree. never did I say I was better. Pull his Balls out of your mouth long enough to take a breath and realize it was just analysis of his game. Or go tuck him in and read him a story. But fcut off either way

Lol triggered.

You literally said he should transfer to get to the league.

Bye boo.

1641275347925.png

Advertisement
Back