Wish we had fsu crowd

It has nothing to do with "marketing". Miami is a big league, front-running city. People will show up when we're really good and playing against Duke, not because they're interested in the game, but because it's the big event to be seen at.

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with "marketing". Miami is a big league, front-running city. People will show up when we're really good and playing against Duke, not because they're interested in the game, but because it's the big event to be seen at.

You make a valid point but you have 15 home games. Yes, Duke, Carolina and FSU games sell themselves.
Having a good team helps a lot but it takes marketing to sell out those other games on the schedule.
Especially when the students and alumni don't attend.

Student sections don't fill up unless team is decent AND has some worthy opponents. Maybe gimmicks (concert, etc) would help there. Large blocks of Seasons tickets holders, especially "company seats", usually result in a live body when there is somewhat high demand (again decent team, decent opponents.)

I would really like to see a well-enacted program where unused season tickets for ANY game be given to churches, schools, youth groups, etc; maybe in conjunction with a giveaway (free dog n soda) or promo (high school band or concert.) Might grow the fan base among the locals; be cool if a company can take an additional tax write-off to encourage this.

Student sections don't fill up unless team is decent AND has some worthy opponents. Maybe gimmicks (concert, etc) would help there. Large blocks of Seasons tickets holders, especially "company seats", usually result in a live body when there is somewhat high demand (again decent team, decent opponents.)

I would really like to see a well-enacted program where unused season tickets for ANY game be given to churches, schools, youth groups, etc; maybe in conjunction with a giveaway (free dog n soda) or promo (high school band or concert.) Might grow the fan base among the locals; be cool if a company can take an additional tax write-off to encourage this.
100% agree. I have no idea why we don't give out unused tickets to local groups like the YMCA, Boys and Girls club, or even schools.

Advertisement
You make a valid point but you have 15 home games. Yes, Duke, Carolina and FSU games sell themselves.
Having a good team helps a lot but it takes marketing to sell out those other games on the schedule.
Especially when the students and alumni don't attend.

But that's my point. If you can't even get students and alums to show up, marketing isn't going to convince some random guy in Kendall to go to a game.

Aren't the tickets all sold, though? How do you know which ones aren't going to be used that day?
I have my doubts. No way an arena that is "sold out" still hosts games with 75% of seats vacant (don't care who the opponent is, to believe that the arena is a pre-game sellout requires the suspension of disbelief).

I have my doubts. No way an arena that is "sold out" still hosts games with 75% of seats vacant (don't care who the opponent is, to believe that the arena is a pre-game sellout requires the suspension of disbelief).

I guess the only explanation would be if they sell that many corporate seats.

Advertisement
Someone (presumably local) needs to gear up a program somewhat like this:
Capturennn.PNG

There may be tax issues, volunteer issues, and maybe individuals could use the program as well. A random check saw several programs around the country like the example above. Miami would be an ideal place to launch this.

I didn’t think the BC crowd was that bad given our record in the paid seated sections outside of the highest level. The two areas that were glaringly awful were the student section (if there were 50 students I’d be floored) and the general admission bleachers. The student problem is it’s own issue, but I think general admission could be vastly improved if ticket prices in that section were lowered to $5-$10. Especially for a 7pm tip-off, I think you’d get a decent number of families to come out to the game for a relatively inexpensive family outing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
would like my lil daughter to a weekend game.....if any one have tickets they arent gonna use .. hit me.

Last edited:
I guess it would be an NCAA "problem" to distribute free tix to local HS coaches/teams? Even if you're not recruiting anyone at the school?

Advertisement
I guess it would be an NCAA "problem" to distribute free tix to local HS coaches/teams? Even if you're not recruiting anyone at the school?

I know for a fact that they can't do that. Jim Morris himself told me that they could give me and my wife tickets to baseball games since I am a high school coach, but that he couldn't give one to my 16 year old daughter. Just being in high school eliminated her from receiving anything from an athletic program.

Younger kids can grow into dedicated fans; and the promos (clown at halftime or mascot)don't need to be too elegant (Beyoncé) … but then there's the issue of starting times. 9PM is good for traffic concerns but not for kidz. Sigh.

(This assumes junior high or such is OK by NCAA.)

The crowd for Wake looked SLIGHTLY better than the last couple of games. The student section was as barren and embarrassing as ever though

Advertisement
Back