Wish we had fsu crowd

...they have 3 times more students that live on campus than we do. and WTF is to do on a Saturday afternoon in the trailer park known as Tallahassee? our college kids are out at the beach or hanging out in the city.

Lame excuse, every single time. If you are a Miami fan and live in the area, you go to games. If you would rather go to the beach, then you aren't much of a fan. Just own it.

Advertisement
The population of Dade County is 10 times that of Leon County (Tallahassee)… with almost 3 million residents, 1000 for an ACC game is indeed paltry by that metric.

How do you define "quality opponents?" All ACC teams, or just the blue bloods in the Conference and around the nation. If it's the latter, you're only talking about a couple sellouts a season. When the BUC opened, I really expected all ACC games to sell out. That hasn't come close to happening.

Quality opponents = top 25.

But it's a moot point now anyway. The last two seasons have set the program back 5 years in terms of getting fan support. It's a total disaster due to years of roster mismanagement that has come home to roost. Coach L needs to ride off into the sunset a la Jim Morris and Mark Richt...two other once successful coaches who got passed by.

Quality opponents = top 25.

But it's a moot point now anyway. The last two seasons have set the program back 5 years in terms of getting fan support. It's a total disaster due to years of roster mismanagement that has come home to roost. Coach L needs to ride off into the sunset a la Jim Morris and Mark Richt...two other once successful coaches who got passed by.
There are rumors that when Coach L retires, Caputo will get the job but I honestly hope they do a national search. But with Blake James in charge at AD, I have no confidence that we will do the right thing with the next hire. Anyone have an honest evaluation of Caputo as a coach?

Advertisement
I wish we had FSU's coach

So you’d be happy with Jim missing the tournament 4 straight years after being head coach for 10 years?

Like when FSU missed the tournament in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016?

Without NCAA sanctions, without scholarship reductions, and without a federal criminal investigation??

Yeah. Good take.

Two things needed for Miami to consistently sellout the Watsco Center: Consistent winning and creative marketing.

1. Consistent winning

Miami needs to go all in on a new basketball standard. It should be 20 plus wins, top 8 in the ACC and make the NCAA tournament every year. Miami needs a head basketball coach and coaching staff that will recruit talent every year to reach that standard. Miami has to have 13 scholarship players to do this every year. Once fans and alumni get accustom to a winning team, they will attend games.
Unfortunately, this philosophy that it takes 3 years before you can have a good team is very outdated, even at the mid major level.

2. Creative marketing.

Given that Miami has 1500 on campus students and a 8000 seat arena means Miami needs to fill those seats with fans located in the surrounding areas. Which means and I don't know the actual seating number but there are probably more general admission seats than seats for students and season ticket holders. Let's say the student section holds 1000 students, season tickets occupy 3000 seats. That would leave approximately 4000 seats available. Again, I don't know the exact numbers and I will gladly update the post when I do find the information.
Creative marketing requires you to find an opponent who would spark an interest, create a name for the game and add a promotion that will get people to come to the games. In-state rivalries are always good promotional tools and it gets people talking. Giveaways and community involvement are the key. Here are a few suggestions:

FIU vs Miami
Game promo name: The Battle of the Real Miami.
Community Promo: Puerto Rican Heritage game (Members of the Puerto Rican community get half off the general admission game tickets and a Miami logo Puerto Rican flag t-shirt for free at the game)

South Florida vs Miami
Game promo name: Battle for South Florida
Community Promo: Cuban Heritage game (Members of the Cuban community get half off the general admission game tickets and a Miami logo Cuban flag t-shirt for free at game).

UConn vs Miami
Game promo: 2 for 1 (2 games for the price of 1 ticket) (Double the fun at the Watsco Center)
Community Promo: Canned food drive. Half priced general admission tickets for fans who bring 10 non-perishable food items to the game.

Those are just a few examples but it does require a commitment from the AD, coaches, fans and community.

Advertisement
I like the several ideas for promoting attendance and they certainly wouldn't hurt. I found myself at the sold-out Tally arena (talk about hard to find parking) Saturday and took some photos to post, but a game thread hadn't been opened. So noting the crowd-size and not necessarily to start a debate about attendance, I created the thread we are now in.

My experience with FSU fans, and the enthusiasm at this game was not an exception, was that it's basically the winning team and love of team that attracts attending fans. But many are fair-weather fans. FSU's football woes have seen tens of thousands of diminished seats, and basketball wasn't always so good here. It's an interesting dynamic because seasons' tickets are at a huge premium when the team is doing well (any team) and some of the well-to-do don't want to give up their seating priority even when they don't see much point in attending during off-years or rebuilding.

Of course, such ticket holders await better days, and based on the past they do return in a reasonable timeframe, at least in Tallahassee. Hope the same can (one day soon) be said for Miami. Go CANES.

LIVED IN SOUTH FLORIDA MY WHOLE LIFE...HAVE LITERALLY NEVER SEEN UM BASKETBALL REALLY PROMOTED HARD...(COMMERCIALS ON TV, BILLBOARDS THROUGHOUT THE TRI COUNTY) ESSENTIALLY NOTHING....**** WE SELDOM KNOW WHEN THE CANES BASKETBALL TEAM IS EVEN PLAYING.

The crazy part is the Heat draw real good crowds...they need to find a way to market that way and grab some of those die hard heat fans.
Go the way of the Marlins and throw concert series after games, etc...something to generate....

Neither here nor there, but FSU couldn't miss a FT Saturday. (Canes weren't bad either at 21 for 25).

Just now in a close one versus Duke, they missed a critical FT and are 60% 12 for 20 missing a chance to tie it up with a minute or so. Missed some other open shots too. Boy do I hate Duke (And their extra-large extra-noisy crowd).

LIVED IN SOUTH FLORIDA MY WHOLE LIFE...HAVE LITERALLY NEVER SEEN UM BASKETBALL REALLY PROMOTED HARD...(COMMERCIALS ON TV, BILLBOARDS THROUGHOUT THE TRI COUNTY) ESSENTIALLY NOTHING....**** WE SELDOM KNOW WHEN THE CANES BASKETBALL TEAM IS EVEN PLAYING.

The crazy part is the Heat draw real good crowds...they need to find a way to market that way and grab some of those die hard heat fans.
Go the way of the Marlins and throw concert series after games, etc...something to generate....

I live in Tally. They market the basketball team very hard here. Commercials literally all the time, billboards in town, etc. They really try to get people to come out to the games. I agree with Miami...it's almost like the basketball team doesn't exist down there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There are rumors that when Coach L retires, Caputo will get the job but I honestly hope they do a national search. But with Blake James in charge at AD, I have no confidence that we will do the right thing with the next hire. Anyone have an honest evaluation of Caputo as a coach?
Never heard that rumor at all.. I believe Coach L is signed through 23-24.

Wasn't the BankUnited/Watsco Center sold out for 3 straight seasons from 2015 through 2017? Season tickets included?
I have been a season ticket holder the last 5 years. My whole row in section 103 was usually not full. I would say most ACC games were 80% full, sometimes more

Wasn't the BankUnited/Watsco Center sold out for 3 straight seasons from 2015 through 2017? Season tickets included?
I think it's still supposedly "sold out." As far as consistently having even half the seats filled with a real person, it has never approached legitimate "sold out" status." If you believe that half the folks who supposedly bought season tickets choose never to use/sell/give them away, I've got a couple bridges to sell you.

Maybe spreading the word that the place is sold out is the primary marketing ploy? If so, it didn't work.

Caputo has proven himself to be a very good recruiter and prior to the season, Coach L was pushing for him to get a head coaching job.
My only observation of his coaching ability was in 2017 when Coach L had an issue and Caputo coached on short notice against BC.
Unless Coach L is going to forgo the rest of his contract salary like Mark Richt did two years ago, I don't think Miami would pay both the remainder of Coach L's contract along with a big time coach for basketball.
Realistically, a basketball coaching change at Miami will not happen until Coach L's contract expires.

Advertisement
Back