Wiltfong

id say Mentz and Johnson JR are the top two guys on the board right now either one of them is a home run QB commit for this cycle. Pho seems to have great intangibles and his HUDL is outstanding but there must be something in the eval most likely low level of comp that is keeping that offer from being made for some reason.

Advertisement
Yeah that isn't a short flight either. I fly out to Seattle couple times a year and I know for a fact there is no direct flights from Miami to Portland or even Eugene.

Last time I was in Orlando, had my original flight from Orlando -> Charlotte -> Seattle redirected to Orlando -> Miami -> Denver -> Seattle. So yeah, that's a lot of flying.

You know there are such things us non-committable offers.
Literally all you do is keep recruiting Tai as a backup option, offer him a non commitable offer and say we need to see you at paradise camp before we'll accept your commitment.
That gives you ample time to recruit Michael Johnson, and keeps an excellent backup option open. And if Michael Johnson hadn't commited by paradise camp, you absolutely move on and accept Taisuns commit if he still wants to .

I just don't get why EVERYONE was so upset and angry about our DB/DL recruiting for 2018 but then we go and do literally the same thing at qb, and yall are ignoring it.
How is telling Tai "you have an offer but you can't accept it until Johnson tells us no so it's not really an offer" any different than what we're doing? Either way, Tai knows he's not our priority. We've offered a couple other 2019 QBs apparently, so maybe the Ricks just don't agree with you on Tai. Maybe they'll be wrong. They've been wrong before.

People are upset about DB/DT recruiting because it's different than QB. You're not counting on 1 DB or 1 DT as your "guy" for that cycle. Completely different animal recruiting DBs/DTs than it is QBs. You rotate those guys and play several per game.

First time i have seen his tape. Funky throwing motion, but good gosh can that kid RIDE!

I hated the name i'm going to throw out there, but with his motion he reminds me of Vince Young
Hate the name why? Did Vince Young not lead Texas to their only national championship in 40+ years?

You know there are such things us non-committable offers.
Literally all you do is keep recruiting Tai as a backup option, offer him a non commitable offer and say we need to see you at paradise camp before we'll accept your commitment.
That gives you ample time to recruit Michael Johnson, and keeps an excellent backup option open. And if Michael Johnson hadn't commited by paradise camp, you absolutely move on and accept Taisuns commit if he still wants to .

I just don't get why EVERYONE was so upset and angry about our DB/DL recruiting for 2018 but then we go and do literally the same thing at qb, and yall are ignoring it.

Why don't you call him up and offer him his uncommitable offer than. Give him a participation ribbon a capri sun and pack of little debbies while you're at it.

Advertisement
Sits was the guy his dad targeted, and they got him. He was a highly recruited guy. When that didn't work out, they quickly moved on Williams.

I would not say we lucked into Williams. Ohio State and Auburn wanted him bad. He's in a hotly contested recruiting area. They did a great job recruiting him in a short period. We were lucky that he came during ND week, though.

You made my point about Williams - maybe lucked into isn’t the right way to describe it. But, the stars were definitely aligned there - dropped sits, had an oppty for a quick visit for ND week, and iirc, he was starting to heat up in recruiting. Anyway, perfect storm for landing him.

As for sits, I won’t argue too much over the guy but I thought he was more JR’s guy rather than MR’s guy and if that’s not the case, I’m mistaken. But yeah, we did hold onto him for too long and I don’t think you should dole out a bunch of credit for landing a missed evaluation.

anyhow, I think this upcoming recruiting year is a great oppty for JR. you have one highly talented kid who is supposedly dying to come and you have another hugely talented kid that has us ranked highly. Let’s hope for the best!

Do these measurements strike you as a top 5 Dual Threat dual QB? Opening results below

Phommachanh, Taisun19 QB 6-3 192 lbs ---4.94 40yd Dash--- 4.7 Shuttle---Powerball 31 ---Vert 26.7---56.58 Sparq

For Comparison sake.

Perry, N'kosi17QB---6-3.5 178lbs----4.86 40yd ---4.35 shuttle---36 PowerBall---35.9 Vert---88.26 Sparq

Now if you watch Taisuns tape against a bunch of CT kids he looks like an amazing athlete. But the proof is in the #'s. A 4.94 40 isn't bad, but a 4.7 shuttle is awful, and when you consider perry's skinny *** out powerballed him and jumped nearly 9 inches higher than him there is a significant gap in athleticism.

I could not find verified #'s on MJ Jr. But the opening hasn't made it his way yet this year. His unverified #'s are vastly better than both Perry and Taisun TIFWIW.

Last edited:
Do these measurements strike you as a top 5 Dual Threat dual QB? Opening results below

Phommachanh, Taisun19 QB 6-3 192 lbs ---4.94 40yd Dash--- 4.7 Shuttle---Powerball 31 ---Vert 26.7---56.58 Sparq

For Comparison sake.

Perry, N'kosi17QB---6-3.5 178lbs----4.86 40yd ---4.35 shuttle---36 PowerBall---35.9 Vert---88.26 Sparq

Now if you watch Taisuns tape against a bunch of CT kids he looks like an amazing athlete. But the proof is in the #'s.

I could not find verified #'s on MJ Jr. But the opening hasn't made it his way yet this year.

Was just about to ask if MJJ measurements are accurate.

One thing I have noticed about all the QBs we’ve targeted with exception to JW. Overall weight is not a factor.

I think that allows Richt to buy time when on campus that they need to shirt and fill out a bit. No doubt if MJJ came to unseat a starter at 180 it is what it is but having that card to preach being physically ready for competition is a unhealrded advantage.

Was just about to ask if MJJ measurements are accurate.

One thing I have noticed about all the QBs we’ve targeted with exception to JW. Overall weight is not a factor.

I think that allows Richt to buy time when on campus that they need to shirt and fill out a bit. No doubt if MJJ came to unseat a starter at 180 it is what it is but having that card to preach being physically ready for competition is a unhealrded advantage.

He weighed in at the opening last year at 6'2" and 188lbs but he did not participate (not sure of reasoning). Hopefully they both participate this year. I don't think anyone would argue though that MJ is the better athlete but Taisun looks like the better arm. Biggest thing to look for would be Taisuns improvement on his old #'s. Maybe Taisun is being held back athletically by coaching, weight program, lack of competition..idk. My thing is you know what you're getting with a coaches son like MJ Jr. He's going to be ready to hit the next level running and ready to compete.

Advertisement
Between Perry, Williams, JR, and Weldon, at least one of these guys are going to hit and Be our version of Watson/Jameis/Vince Young.

Hate the name why? Did Vince Young not lead Texas to their only national championship in 40+ years?
I am an ABSOLUTE HATER of everything UT related that isn't Ricky Williams or Major Applewhite. Really started with the Applewhite/Simms debacle, but just never been a fan. Nothing against VY cause i mean that's as close as you'll see to one man beating a team in football as it gets. he played amazing, but i'm a hater nonetheless.

He weighed in at the opening last year at 6'2" and 188lbs but he did not participate (not sure of reasoning). Hopefully they both participate this year. I don't think anyone would argue though that MJ is the better athlete but Taisun looks like the better arm. Biggest thing to look for would be Taisuns improvement on his old #'s. Maybe Taisun is being held back athletically by coaching, weight program, lack of competition..idk. My thing is you know what you're getting with a coaches son like MJ Jr. He's going to be ready to hit the next level running and ready to compete.
247 list Michael Johnson Jr as 6’4 190 pounds now

Advertisement
How is telling Tai "you have an offer but you can't accept it until Johnson tells us no so it's not really an offer" any different than what we're doing? Either way, Tai knows he's not our priority. We've offered a couple other 2019 QBs apparently, so maybe the Ricks just don't agree with you on Tai. Maybe they'll be wrong. They've been wrong before.

People are upset about DB/DT recruiting because it's different than QB. You're not counting on 1 DB or 1 DT as your "guy" for that cycle. Completely different animal recruiting DBs/DTs than it is QBs. You rotate those guys and play several per game.

Thank you. It's an insult to give Tai "an uncommittable offer" at this point. He's camped here, his offer list is blowing up. It's clear he's not #1 on our QB board & I'm sure he sees that. Maybe he'll still be interested if we don't get our top target, but it's pretty clear how our QB board is lined up.

Advertisement
Kid is a program changer and annual playoff lock QB. If sincerely threatened, Oregon is gonna drop an astronomical bag on him. I hope he isn’t using the Hurricane interest smoke 💨 to increase the bag density. If we pull him it would epic!

Thank you. It's an insult to give Tai "an uncommittable offer" at this point. He's camped here, his offer list is blowing up. It's clear he's not #1 on our QB board & I'm sure he sees that. Maybe he'll still be interested if we don't get our top target, but it's pretty clear how our QB board is lined up.
so its an insult to essentially show the dude we are still interested but we are still one step away from being fully on board - seeing him dominate at our camp? I think yall are fooling yourselves by acting like a non-commitable (at the moment) scholarship offer is completely worthless for the player and for us.

This is simple. The summer leading to his jr he comes for paradise camp and kills it. We tell him we want to see more before we offer. He kills it his junior yr. WE watch his tape, seeing the progress he made and want to keep options open with a top qb talent that has shown interest in us (has any other top 2019 qb visited us yet? I don't think so). We give him a non commitable offer until paradise camp and tell him we want to see how he performs in front of us one last time....What the **** is the problem there or how is that insulting or a bad recruiting move? That preserves the connection with a top qb - ranked #1 DT by 247, and buys us time on Michael Johnson. And if michael johnson hadn't committed by Paradise camp, then we absolutely should be looking in another direction.

No point on me keeping on talking about this, but If we don't lock Michael Johnson up it wont look good for JR. Miseval on *****. Rosier played like crap especially to end the year - showed absolutely no development. If he doesn't have Perry or Weldon prepared to WIN the qb job this yr, I really don't know what value he brings. And I absolutely view us getting Jarren as Lucky. Not saying it wasn't a great recruiting win for us to lock up a qb that good that late, but it was absolutely lucky we were even given the opportunity to do that. hopefully JR will turn out to be a good DEVELOPER a the position which honestly is more important. We will see if Perry, Weldon, or Jarren earn the job this year and how they play.

Kid is a program changer and annual playoff lock QB. If sincerely threatened, Oregon is gonna drop an astronomical bag on him. I hope he isn’t using the Hurricane interest smoke 💨 to increase the bag density. If we pull him it would epic!

Oregon drop a bag on him?

You realize who his dad is? This kid isn't getting bought and it's insulting to him to even suggest that. Not every kid gets bought, and kids with wealthy parents are certainly not getting bought

If he wanted to play for Oregon, he'd likely have committed there already.

Advertisement
Back