Willis out for Pinstripe Bowl

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The University of Miami announced Friday that senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III will not play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Wisconsin on December 27.

“I just would like to start off by saying that God is awesome and that without Him and His favor over me, I could not and would not be at this point in my life,” Willis said. “After the trials and challenges I experienced early on in my college career I am blessed to have experienced triumphs and successes this past season. Unfortunately, I suffered a hand injury and I have been advised to start rehab.

“I would like to thank my amazing and supportive family, especially my parents. Thank you to Coach Al Golden for giving me a second chance. Thank you to Coach Mark Richt for never giving up on me, but investing in me and my emotional and mental health; while also being an incredible mentor, coach and friend to me. I also have to thank Coach Manny Diaz, and of course Coach Jess Simpson, for putting a lot of time and effort into helping me get to where I am today.

“To the U Family – the staff, faculty, and the greatest fans in college football -- I’m very honored, humbled but also excited to get started on the next phase in the journey of football. I look forward to representing my family, teammates, coaches and most importantly myself as I transition from being a student-athlete to a professional athlete. Thank you all again, it will forever and always be about The U!”

Willis, who was a second-team All-America selection this season by the Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America and Sports Illustrated, racked up a career-high 59 tackles and four sacks, including 18 tackles for loss, the most in the nation by a defensive tackle.

“We are proud of Gerald and all he has accomplished both on and off the field,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Gerald is a remarkable person who has authored a remarkable story of strength, perseverance and determination. We wish him all the best and look forward to seeing where the next steps of his journey take him.”

Advertisement
Get healthy for the combine and nfl workouts. No sense messing it up even more in this game. Definitely appreciate him coming back and showin the **** out in his last go around. My favorite defensive player in a while. Played his *** off every play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I salute him. We always talk about those "war daddy" types of DT's...Willis is one of those guys. Wish we would have had him from Freshman year, he would have had an absolutely epic career. His one full season was elite.

Dude has a hand injury - rehab now, don't risk messing it up further, you're good for the combine. Smart move. I'd be upset if he was just sitting out to sit out, but this is the right move for him.

Advertisement
Tough to ask him to do more considering what is at risk, that he has an injury and his defensive leader just bolted for an AAC team....

Advertisement
Back