Willis out for Pinstripe Bowl

Advertisement
I don't blame Willis. A less than mediocre bowl against a average Big Ten team.

gettyimages-200249348-001-1024x1024.jpg

Another nail in Richt's coffin. Welcome to 7-6 boys. Best of luck to G-Dub. Proud of the young man. Dont blame him at all for missing this BS bowl game. GO CANES!!

Wish he would've gotten his **** together sooner and played more than just one season here. Think what a difference he might've made last year for us. Guy has game-changing ability.

Making it back after a year off from football and playing at the level he did, there’s no need to risk his future for a bowl game inside of a baseball stadium between teams that went a combined 14-10 this season.

Top 2 round talent. Smart move sitting out.

Advertisement
The University of Miami announced Friday that senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III will not play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Wisconsin on December 27.

“I just would like to start off by saying that God is awesome and that without Him and His favor over me, I could not and would not be at this point in my life,” Willis said. “After the trials and challenges I experienced early on in my college career I am blessed to have experienced triumphs and successes this past season. Unfortunately, I suffered a hand injury and I have been advised to start rehab.

“I would like to thank my amazing and supportive family, especially my parents. Thank you to Coach Al Golden for giving me a second chance. Thank you to Coach Mark Richt for never giving up on me, but investing in me and my emotional and mental health; while also being an incredible mentor, coach and friend to me. I also have to thank Coach Manny Diaz, and of course Coach Jess Simpson, for putting a lot of time and effort into helping me get to where I am today.

“To the U Family – the staff, faculty, and the greatest fans in college football -- I’m very honored, humbled but also excited to get started on the next phase in the journey of football. I look forward to representing my family, teammates, coaches and most importantly myself as I transition from being a student-athlete to a professional athlete. Thank you all again, it will forever and always be about The U!”

Willis, who was a second-team All-America selection this season by the Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America and Sports Illustrated, racked up a career-high 59 tackles and four sacks, including 18 tackles for loss, the most in the nation by a defensive tackle.

“We are proud of Gerald and all he has accomplished both on and off the field,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Gerald is a remarkable person who has authored a remarkable story of strength, perseverance and determination. We wish him all the best and look forward to seeing where the next steps of his journey take him.”

Disappointing, but can't say I blame him. He certainly gave us a great performance and great effort this season. Wish him well.

The University of Miami announced Friday that senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III will not play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Wisconsin on December 27.

“I just would like to start off by saying that God is awesome and that without Him and His favor over me, I could not and would not be at this point in my life,” Willis said. “After the trials and challenges I experienced early on in my college career I am blessed to have experienced triumphs and successes this past season. Unfortunately, I suffered a hand injury and I have been advised to start rehab.

“I would like to thank my amazing and supportive family, especially my parents. Thank you to Coach Al Golden for giving me a second chance. Thank you to Coach Mark Richt for never giving up on me, but investing in me and my emotional and mental health; while also being an incredible mentor, coach and friend to me. I also have to thank Coach Manny Diaz, and of course Coach Jess Simpson, for putting a lot of time and effort into helping me get to where I am today.

“To the U Family – the staff, faculty, and the greatest fans in college football -- I’m very honored, humbled but also excited to get started on the next phase in the journey of football. I look forward to representing my family, teammates, coaches and most importantly myself as I transition from being a student-athlete to a professional athlete. Thank you all again, it will forever and always be about The U!”

Willis, who was a second-team All-America selection this season by the Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America and Sports Illustrated, racked up a career-high 59 tackles and four sacks, including 18 tackles for loss, the most in the nation by a defensive tackle.

“We are proud of Gerald and all he has accomplished both on and off the field,” head coach Mark Richt said. “Gerald is a remarkable person who has authored a remarkable story of strength, perseverance and determination. We wish him all the best and look forward to seeing where the next steps of his journey take him.”

He made his bones.
Time 2 get paid G...

Advertisement
Hard to be mad, I don't even want to watch the game, much less play and risk my future earnings.

Not a fan of players sitting out of bowl games to avoid injury.

Not sure of the details here but this line of thinking that you have too much to risk is soft.

I guess you didn't get enough negs the first time so your trying it again?
Funny dude.

Advertisement
Got it. Nether am I.
So the first post didn't stir the pot enough, eh?

I'm not stirring the pot.

There are plenty of posts around here where guys are saying they understand sitting out the bowl game this year because the season is a lost cause of sorts.

**** that.

Advertisement
I hate when players skip out on the bowl game...but like I said in the Grier thread...I absolutely understand it and wouldn't be objective if the player suffered an injury within the last 2-3 weeks of the season.

Advertisement
Back