Willis McGahee IV, '24 Edge Rusher, Palmetto

7 posts and coming strong for your boy! who might you be..

respect it though
I’m family, on as Goulds so eloquently put it, his “fine” mama’s side. So yeah…I’m biased as can be, but that biased opinion also comes from a lot more than three games worth of intel.

It’s all love though…everyone has an opinion and I respect that.

Advertisement
he had gotten the reputation of Mr Spring. But that 02 game in Gainesville, Willis became 'the guy'. I dubbed him Willis McHeisman later that season. I still think if Chud doesn't call that dumb halfback option play vs Vatech, and gives it to Willis for his seventh TD he gets the award
Should have gotten the Heisman anyway. What a spectacular season. Willis got robbed!

I remember hearing a story that in the locker room after Najeh's injury Coach Sol went up to Coach Kehoe and said, "We just lost a shot at the National Championship."

Advertisement
3989ED2B-92FC-4164-83C2-87A882EBD629.jpeg

All-Dade 2nd Team

Advertisement
Someone like @TheSwagger1 can attest, and those around here should know I'm not into hype, but [perhaps stupidly] on the old Rivals board, I compared Willis' skill set (the physical) to OJ Simpson. Ha. Hyperbole, I now realize.

Watching Willis in that Spring of 2001 was wild. He'd routinely break long runs against a defense with so many stars it's difficult to list them all. P-Buch has always been a favorite Cane CB of mine. And, I remember on one Willis long run, he had to really push to catch him. If anyone remembers P-Buch's speed, dude was electric. You see something like that and see Willis' size in person, and yeah, it was impressive. I only remember that because I said that exact story at the time. Standing up there on those track bleachers.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll say that I hope his son has 1/4 of that athletic ability and maybe his mother passed down the wiggle/flexibility/bend genes. Ha.
🤣🤣🤣 when I moved to S Fla in ‘05 first Cane I saw was Willis at a Strip Club

Advertisement
I have no idea if McGahee IV's good or not, but I'm in the camp of don't offer a legacy just because. If we didn't have a schollie limit or they want to come on as a PWO, then sure. But unless your talent/potential merits it, then no thank you.

There are certain programs where they are exceptional talent evaluators at particular positions. Pitt is excellent at DL. Any kid they offer on DL is worth a look, but in this case, the recruit also happens to be a 4 star legacy of a UM great. I think he needs to get an offer ASAP.

Advertisement
There are certain programs where they are exceptional talent evaluators at particular positions. Pitt is excellent at DL. Any kid they offer on DL is worth a look, but in this case, the recruit also happens to be a 4 star legacy of a UM great. I think he needs to get an offer ASAP.

I hear you. But the opposite argument can be made here that Pitt loses nothing by throwing out an offer this early, since it's not their key recruiting grounds. Whereas if Miami offers too early, it may create a false expectation that could hurt both the kid and the program. No need to rush a legacy like this. I believe you drop that offer after the legacy has shown more. Get him in the summer camps, given him a schedule. Evaluate his Junior year performance. Then offer.

Note that I was all for offering Irvin, Frierson, certainly Chickillo ... also wanted to offer both Gabe Taylor and little Gore. So you can value my judgment based on those data points, lol.

Would not have lost to Penn State and East Carolina.

At FSU and at VT, who knows, but the 1999 team is at worst a 10-2 team, Top 10, with a healthy Najeh.
I'll never forget that PSU game. I was in Philadelphia that weekend. I'm at the hotel sports bar drinking beer on that 4th down pass by Penn St. We were surrounded by PUS fans.
The waitress had just put another pitcher on the table just as Chafie Fields caught that pass and scored. I just let out a super loud Oh Fcck! grabbed the pitcher and guzzled the whole thing down I was so ****ed. The whole bar was just staring at me like "Whats a UM fan doing here?"My two buddies were telling me that it was just a game but I wouldn't hear it. That was a bad day but I had no idea what that team would go on to accomplish. The moral of the story is don't guzzle pitchers of beer......I guess.

Last edited:
He was 100% robbed of the Heisman that year.
That was one of the biggest jokes in the history of Sporting Awards. Carson Palmer was great but Willis earned that Heisman. What was the biggest most egregious snub in college football awards you ask? The fact that the 2003 Thorpe Award actually went to someone other than Sean Taylor was the most outrageously criminal and corrupt act in the history of college awards. Derrick Straight? WTF?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back