Will we blitz trevor lawrence or sit back?

Advertisement
Elite QBs love teams that blitz. It's just too easy for them to identify which receiver is going to be open. And if you have a QB that can scramble, he will murder you when blitzing and he escapes the pocket. Yes, TL will pick you apart if he has all day to throw. If you don't have good pass rushers, you don't really have a choice. Miami has excellent pass rushers. Play coverage, rely on the front 4.

Blitzing TL is foolish, he will get the ball out long before the DB on a delayed blitz hits him. All you will have accomplished is playing D with 10 players since the DB will be irrelevant.

BTW - Clemson fans thought they'd have an easy time with LSU because Venables blitzes would get home and rattle Burrows.

Don't take the cheese. Bracket WRs, spy the QB, and force TL to go through all his reads.

TL still racked up a zillion yards against LSU. He's not getting shut down. I don't think any defense can do that. But what a D can do is force Clemson to have 7 minute drives to work down the field. At same time your offense is scoring with 4 min drives. At the end of the game, your offense will have had 3 or 4 extra possessions. That's how you win by 14 points in a shootout. If you keep blitzing, it's just a matter of time before TL burns you and gets a couple easy TDs with drives lasting less than 2 min.

blitzing has to be a change up, it cant be the foundation on Saturday night

Also, our CB's well, it's not like we have Antrell Rolle and Phil Buchanon back there...

I'll say it again, I would consider any time that Clemson is in the endzone a FG a success

Advertisement
Bend but don't break with some aggressive blitzes mixed in is the way to go. We're not going to stop Lawrence and we aren't going to rattle him. Etienne is going to be a problem for us. If we press too often quick strike touch downs will kill us. We have to make them run a lot of plays so that our defense has a lot of opportunities to make plays against their offense. Sacks, offensive holding penalties, pressuring the QB and TFL's are going to decide the outcome. We're going to have to ride our defense because we won't win a shoot out in Death Valley. I say that fully recognizing how good we are on offense.

O yeah and no turnovers

After watching the Clemson gane against O State. The way O State played is something we need to do against them because O state was gettung pressure on Lawrence and manning up Clemson receivers. If O state didnt have mental errors (roughing kicker) and dropped tds when they were up 16-0 it wouldnt of been a game. I hope we use some of O State strategy.

Bend but don't break with some aggressive blitzes mixed in is the way to go. We're not going to stop Lawrence and we aren't going to rattle him. Etienne is going to be a problem for us. If we press too often quick strike touch downs will kill us. We have to make them run a lot of plays so that our defense has a lot of opportunities to make plays against their offense. Sacks, offensive holding penalties, pressuring the QB and TFL's are going to decide the outcome. We're going to have to ride our defense because we won't win a shoot out in Death Valley. I say that fully recognizing how good we are on offense.

O yeah and no turnovers

Lawrence can be rattled but Nesta, Miller, and JHH have to put pressure in his face constantly.

Lawrence can be rattled but Nesta, Miller, and JHH have to put pressure in his face constantly.
And off what you stated, i believe Nesta and JHH are the guys becase they are quick off the ball. Clemson's interior is the weakest point of the offense line. I keep saying LG Bockhorst doesnt move he feet well enough to keep Nesta at bay. Nesta is my X factor for this ine on defense because we know what we will get from our ends, which is constant pressure!

Advertisement
I suppose all qb's can be rattled but I'm not sure a steady diet of blitzing helps against a qb with his experience. Maybe a few early picks gets him playing tentatively.

After watching the Clemson gane against O State. The way O State played is something we need to do against them because O state was gettung pressure on Lawrence and manning up Clemson receivers. If O state didnt have mental errors (roughing kicker) and dropped tds when they were up 16-0 it wouldnt of been a game. I hope we use some of O State strategy.
Problem is Ohio st had TWO first round corners.. We dont really recruit corners to cover, just to set edge and tackle.. Very hard to ask them to lock guys up like that..

OSU DC discussed gameplan here:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...te-than-it-had-all-season-and-trevor-lawrence

Going into the game, Hafley said Ohio State’s game plan was to stop the run and take away Clemson’s outside receivers, and he thinks the Buckeyes did a good job with that. They held Clemson running back Travis Etienne to just 36 rushing yards on 10 carries, wide receiver Tee Higgins to 33 yards on four catches and wide receiver Justyn Ross to 47 yards on six catches.

Clemson adjusted, though, by using the quarterback run game more than it had all season, which forced the Buckeyes to change their defense and ultimately helped open up the big plays the Tigers hit down the stretch, like Lawrence’s 38-yard pass to Amari Rodgers and subsequent jump pass to Etienne that went for the 34-yard game-winning touchdown.

“We were going to stop the run, and we were going to force him to throw the ball outside. That guy right there, we were gonna say, ‘You are not throwing the ball in between those hashes, numbers to numbers, with that middle safety where you have him,’” Hafley said. “Because we felt good about those two outside corners (Jeff Okudah and Damon Arnette). Now when the quarterback run game starts to show up, if you want to play an eight-man front, you better get that middle safety down. Because now he’s the extra guy to stop the quarterback. You start doing that too much, now you’re opening up those posts and the deep balls, so now it’s which one do you want to defend?”

The dude is just one of those transcendent QBs. If we rush 3 and drop 8, he'll have enough time to find a WR and if we blitz, he can make you pay. I think we have to mix it up and make him think a lot about what's coming and see if we can get him off his game. But he's a stud, plain and simple.

Advertisement
I suppose all qb's can be rattled but I'm not sure a steady diet of blitzing helps against a qb with his experience. Maybe a few early picks gets him playing tentatively.

Blitzing plays into his hands.

The pressure has to come from the line, specifically the defensive tackles. Phillips and Roche will get upfield on the edge. We need Nesta and co, to collapse the pocket.

Advertisement
You're right on point. That's Clemson's passing game. They make big plays from quick passes. Once they have the safties and corners creeping up to stop the short passes, they hit you over the top for a big gain or TD.

I hope we play cover 2 man under. We need our corners playing physical man coverage with the safties over top to defend the deep ball.

One key to game is if we can slow down Etienne. If our safties are making the tackles on running plays, then we're in trouble. They'll hit us with their RPO game with their WRs running past our safties who'll be looking in the backfield to stop the run. Our front 7 has to slow down their running game.

An even bigger problem is is stopping Etienne out of the backfield. If we're in man coverage, then who is going to cover him? IDK if we have anyone that can. Certainly no LB. Perhaps we play dime coverage (6 DBs) and have someone with speed spy on Etienne.

It going to be an interesting match up. I hope Manny and company come up with a really good scheme and our players execute to near perfection.
We're not slowing down Etienne and the running game if we're playing Cover-2-Man.

That's a 5-man box.

If ETN has to stay back and pick up a guy in the backfield that is a win and can be a major key for us
I’m telling u this now he will delay release a lot bc our LBs blitz once thier man stays into block. Dumbest policy I say. We shouldn’t blitz play coverage and tackle. OUR ******* FRONT 4 CAN CRETAE PRESSURE THEMSELVES Baker has a Boner for terrible blitzes lol

Do you know why a DC would employ a 3-man rush and drop 8?
Well, there are a several reasons. But when you can't put pressure on a QB, he has all day to pick you apart; which HAS happened to us several times the last few years INCLUDING this year and last year. Oh - and we have given up some decent runs in these setup as well - see UAB. We have a DL that is a strength - USE IT.

Coach Macho - don't get me wrong - you're a legit poster - but a good example is Directional Michigan last year - WE DID IT ALL **** GAME, and that wasn't a pretty game. Granted, we haven't done it as much this year, but again, when our DL is a strength, don't do it on 3rd and manageable. Fact is we have burned by the 3 man front.

Just the other day a poster referenced where we are in the country in stopping teams on 3rd down - DUMB stat so far this year. We are better on D on 3rd downs so far this year, but you still have powerhouses like Ga State ahead of us - oh and ALOT of teams aren't playing this year, or have played a game, so we are compared against an abnormal sample set.

We're all 'Canes here - but the 3 down lineman stuff is nonsense from what I have seen over the last few years to include this season. If we run, I will be more than happy to see Miami pull off some big plays with it.

Clemson likes to do a lot of quick passing to start... short outs, bubbles, RPOs

I hope we play tighter coverage and not 7-8 yards off the ball, which Baker seems to run a lot of We need to disrupt the timing of their short passing.

Advertisement
Back