Will We Beat A&M?

Will we beat Texas A&M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A&M isn’t that good. I don’t buy the hype, at all. QB position is below average. Nobody really scares me at TE or WR. Achane is the key. Stop him and idk how they score more than 20 points. Max Johnson can’t hit the broad side of a barn when he faces any sort of pressure, and very turnover prone. Their defense is very talented, but young.

This game is more about how Miami handles being on the road. If we can’t put up at least 3 scores, we don’t deserve to win anyway.

Advertisement
Realistically it’s a no.

-Coaching? aTm (love Mario but Jimbo is still the better coach until proven otherwise)
-Talent? aTm
-@aTm is going to be loud for night game

Due to canes having better QB (besides maybe safety this is our only clear advantage) I’ll give us a 20% chance to win. I just want to see the canes compete.
So it doesn’t matter what issues a&m might have?

I think this is getting ignored:
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 12.22.14 PM.png

No, all talent isn't the same. Yes, we have a much better QB. Yes, we should be improved on the defensive side.

But...it's not nothing that they just have more talent than we do. They probably have more talent sitting on their DL bench than we do in our starting lineup. And while that doesn't seem to concern 60% of you folk, it should. Sure, Mario's an OL wizard, but are you sure that won't take more than a few games to show up on the field? Is that maybe something that needs a few recruiting classes to sort out?

In typical fan fashion, people are focusing on what's wrong with the other team and not what's wrong with ours. All our problems from last year are getting fixed, and none of theirs are. We've upgraded every position, they haven't upgraded any. We can count on our best for that game, while we count on their worst.

I hope you’re right. But realistically has an offense under Mario ever been a world beater? Even with a heisman level QB (Herbert) they weren’t insane (great but not elite).

Don’t get it twisted Jimbo would’ve won the Pac 12 2/3 times if he were in Mario’s shoes. With that being said it’s not to say Miami’s staff isn’t great (it’s one of the best in nation) but it’s year one. Chances aren’t great. I like Canes to beat Clemson more than aTm.

Herbert’s last season Oregon was 16th in the country in PPG, 9th for all P5 conferences

TrumpyCane wants you to take that info and do what you want with it

Biggest concern for me here is what we’ve been talking about with Gattis and our personnel

A receiver needs to step up and stretch their D or they’re going to just load up near the LOS with their physical defense and secondary

And yes this would be a the glaring concern if Lashlee was the OC as well

They’re going to key on our TEs and underneath stuff and dare us to beat them deep

We know TVD can make the throws but someone has to step up for Rambo

Advertisement
Let’s slow down the kool aid chugging. 2/3 of those positions have seen moderate improvement, just by virtue of the main guys getting another year under their belts. No difference makers have been pulled in, maybe Parish but that’s TBD. Citizen is out for an extended period, Zion is uncertain for ATM and will be rusty if he’s in.

The WRs are absolutely not as a whole improved after losing two key pieces and no one stepping up as of yet besides X who’s the constant keeping the group from being dragged further down.

We play lights out there’s a chance for sure, but it needs to be lights out.
We DO have to play lights out to win. I gave us a 40% chance, which I don't think is koolaid chugging(though I am prone to it). Our coaching staff is going to be where the greatest improvement is. That's a huge step up for our program.

But to your point, the wr room is one I'm paying attention to. Harley and Rambo were good but not great. All this bluster from Coach Cristobal about scouts paying attention to X? We'll see how that plays out. He's been a summer camp sensation since he arrived. Maybe it finally translates. Been hearing a little buzz about Redding. That's another talent we've been waiting on.

Jacolby George averaged 25ypc last year and Brashard Smith averaged 14ypc. These are true freshmen who averaged as much or more ypc than Harley. They had less catches but the sophomore jump could be sweet for them. Enter Ladson, Horton and Young and we have 3 - 6'3" 200lb's or more wr's.

The wr room got deeper and added more size. I'm betting on TVD though. When Rambo met him, he never had more than 700+ yards in a season. After he met him 1100+ yards. TVD is going to raise someone up.

So it doesn’t matter what issues a&m might have?
Yes they matter, but this is a talent acquisition business & aTm has far more.

Now add in home field advantage/ regime in year 5 vs year 1. If I was a betting man I’d say it’s aTm -9.5/-10 at kickoff.

A&M’s P5 wins outside of Bama :

4-8 Colorado
6-7 Auburn
6-7 South Carolina
6-7 Missouri

Outside of Bama, they lost to every single other good team they faced and some bad ones (Miss St, LSU) and got 3 wins from cupcakes in Prairie View, Kent St, New Mexico. With all that talent.

I’m really not sure what folks so scared about. Jimbo is still Jimbo and one game against Bama won’t change that. He’s done nothing when he doesn’t have a generational talent (college) at QB . Max Johnson ain’t that.

I think our defense will be much improved much more sound, and we have enough weapons on offense to keep us in the game with TVD . It’s just a matter of if we trust Steele and Gattis to come up with the game plan needed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If it were a neutral site game, even if still in Texas I’d actually guarantee we win...

The fact it’s @ College Station is what creates less margin for error & amplifies the other ancillary factors that come into play.

But I’ll just reiterate what I said earlier, it comes down to playing aggressive & not playing into their hands; if we treat this game like it’s a One-off Bowl Game & throw the kitchen sink at’em, it levels the playing field & neutralizes any prerequisite advantages they already have. But if we’re hellbent on trying to establish a “toughness identity”, we’ll be in for a long night...

Take a page out of Miss ST, Ole Miss & LSU’s book from last year, Spread’em out (pause) stretch the field & ATTACK.

We also have 3 Defensive Coaches who are very familiar with Jumbo’s Offense:
- Kevin Steele, from his times at Bama, Clemson, LSU & Auburn
- Charlie Strong, from his times at UF & Bama
- Ed Orgeron, from his times at LSU

We have enough of a Braintrust to put together a sufficient gameplan to get it done, it’s just a matter of how much our talent has elevated since January & how well we execute while playing mistake free Football.

Last edited:
If it were a neutral site game, even if still in Texas I’d actually guarantee we win...

The fact it’s @ College Station is what creates less margin for error & amplifies the other ancillary factors that come into play.

But I’ll just reiterate what I said earlier, it comes down to playing aggressive & not playing into their hands; if we treat this game like it’s a One-off Bowl Game & throw the kitchen sink at’em, it levels the playing field & neutralizes any prerequisite advantages they already have. But if we’re hellbent on trying to establish a “toughness identity”, we’ll be in for a long night...

Take a page out of Miss ST, Ole Miss & LSU’s book from last yea Spread’em out (pause) stretch the field & ATTACK.

We have enough of a Braintrust to put together a sufficient gameplan to get it done, it’s just a matter of how much our talent has elevated since January & how well we execute while playing mistake free Football.

I agree with all of this but I think it's even more simple, and comes down the most basic of principles. Can our offensive line hold its own? To me, that is the entire story. When you think back on the games we've lost over the past few years when facing SEC-type competition, to me, the biggest mismatch has been the opposition's front vs our offensive line. Clemson in 2020.....absolute men against boys. Alabama in 2021....may as well have been 5 Aaron Donalds against a bunch of Publix bag boys. 2019 vs the gators, I think they may have just sacked Jarren Williams again as I type this. 2018 vs LSU, I doubt we had more than 125 yards in the first half.

I'm sure people will respond to this with excuses...it was Rosier's fault, Jarren held onto the ball too long, Zion was a freshman, etc. etc. Cool. I don't care. We got flat out whipped up front by all those teams, and that's just off the top of my head. So yes, you're 100% correct, and I've agreed with you 50x that we have a lot better chance in this one than vs Clemson, but I will be watching their DL vs our 5 up front in the first series or two. We don't need to average 7 a carry and have TVD posing for pictures in the pocket, but if we can just hold our own, and play the game as you described, we can make it interesting. But it's been a long time since we lined up against a bunch of 4 and 5 star defensive linemen and didn't look totally overmatched. We'll see how it goes this time.

Biggest concern for me here is what we’ve been talking about with Gattis and our personnel

A receiver needs to step up and stretch their D or they’re going to just load up near the LOS with their physical defense and secondary

And yes this would be a the glaring concern if Lashlee was the OC as well

They’re going to key on our TEs and underneath stuff and dare us to beat them deep

We know TVD can make the throws but someone has to step up for Rambo

--------------------------------------> Key'Shawn Smith, Número Cinco.

/btw, the first bold statement sounds a little weird.

Advertisement

Take a page out of Miss ST, Ole Miss & LSU’s book from last year, Spread’em out (pause) stretch the field & ATTACK.

Sorry. What do you mean we HAVE Ed O

A&M is 21-4 at home since 2018. Tall order for the team in what will be an insane environment. I'm less concerned with our D vs their offense, just stop the run. That split back formation may be an issue.

The offense on the other hand has to deal with the bulk of their talent. They also have three good safeties and they're going to send them at TVD on 3rd down. Our receivers are going to have to make hella plays.

I agree with all of this but I think it's even more simple, and comes down the most basic of principles. Can our offensive line hold its own? To me, that is the entire story. When you think back on the games we've lost over the past few years when facing SEC-type competition, to me, the biggest mismatch has been the opposition's front vs our offensive line. Clemson in 2020.....absolute men against boys. Alabama in 2021....may as well have been 5 Aaron Donalds against a bunch of Publix bag boys. 2019 vs the gators, I think they may have just sacked Jarren Williams again as I type this. 2018 vs LSU, I doubt we had more than 125 yards in the first half.

I'm sure people will respond to this with excuses...it was Rosier's fault, Jarren held onto the ball too long, Zion was a freshman, etc. etc. Cool. I don't care. We got flat out whipped up front by all those teams, and that's just off the top of my head. So yes, you're 100% correct, and I've agreed with you 50x that we have a lot better chance in this one than vs Clemson, but I will be watching their DL vs our 5 up front in the first series or two. We don't need to average 7 a carry and have TVD posing for pictures in the pocket, but if we can just hold our own, and play the game as you described, we can make it interesting. But it's been a long time since we lined up against a bunch of 4 and 5 star defensive linemen and didn't look totally overmatched. We'll see how it goes this time.
Their Defense in general has the advantage against our OL, their DLine is stacked with depth, size, speed & Elite talent all over, plus they have a fast LB corps & very physical Secondary.

The only way to slow down an overpowering DL is with Tempo & getting rid of the ball quickly. Our OL will have a very tough fight on their hands against that group & especially if Zion isn’t available for that game, we’re really gonna have to be creative with playcalling & play design to slow down their pass rush & keep them from loading the box with 7-8 man fronts. We’ll have to utilize multiple Wide spilts & some Trip stack formations if we don’t want them to just sit back & play 2-High Cover 3, Cover 4 & Cover 5 all day.

Again just take a page out of Miss ST’s & LSU’s book from last year & make their DB’s run.

If the OL can give TVD at least 4-5 seconds in the pocket, we can definitely throw on them, which will open up the Run game for later in the game & it keeps the Defense off balance.

Advertisement
Their Defense in general has the advantage against our OL, their DLine is stacked with depth, size, speed & Elite talent all over, plus they have a fast LB corps & very physical Secondary.

The only way to slow down an overpowering DL is with Tempo & getting rid of the ball quickly. Our OL will have a very tough fight on their hands against that group & especially if Zion isn’t available for that game, we’re really gonna have to be creative with playcalling & play design to slow down their pass rush & keep them from loading the box with 7-8 man fronts. We’ll have to utilize multiple Wide spilts & some Trip stack formations if we don’t want them to just sit back & play 2-High Cover 3, Cover 4 & Cover 5 all day.

Again just take a page out of Miss ST’s & LSU’s book from last year & make their DB’s run.

If the OL can give TVD at least 4-5 seconds in the pocket, we can definitely throw on them, which will open up the Run game for later in the game & it keeps the Defense off balance.
On the plus side, that game will give our OL an important non-conference learning experience that should help them work as a unit once they get into conference play.

Yes they matter, but this is a talent acquisition business & aTm has far more.

Now add in home field advantage/ regime in year 5 vs year 1. If I was a betting man I’d say it’s aTm -9.5/-10 at kickoff.
Most of their talent is young and inexperienced

Advertisement
Back