Will Va Tech play football this season?

Advertisement
Look who is on that list--Athens, GA; Tallahassee, FL; Oxford, MS; Columbia, MO. University of Georgia, Florida State University, University of Mississippi and University of Missouri. Virginia Tech can play. Kids are still in school and in the dorms. Liberty played this past weekend and it's less than 100 miles away.

Yeah, but Liberty tested positive for Cuck-19.

I do think people tend to generalize, but you make a humorous point.

A lot of these "middle of nowhere" locations are small towns with small medical facilities that are then overwhelmed by a (largely) irresponsible influx of students that can double the population of college towns.

Meanwhile, a small private school with a (relatively) insular campus in the middle of a highly populated metro area might actually be able to fare better than most. ****, I'll be honest, as an undergrad at UM, I took many classes where we could "socially distance" by spreading out. I rarely had a "packed classroom" until I got to law school.

Yeah but that’s the point, it is small town there and it’s nowhere near medically overwhelmed, they don’t have any medical issues in that town other than what they would normally have and the relatively few cases they’re experiencing.

It really looks like a failure of the team, the school, the administration, right down to probably some players themselves, but especially the coaching staff.

Yeah but that’s the point, it is small town there and it’s nowhere near medically overwhelmed, they don’t have any medical issues in that town other than what they would normally have and the relatively few cases they’re experiencing.

It really looks like a failure of the team, the school, the administration, right down to probably some players themselves, but especially the coaching staff.

You make good points, and I should be more precise on "medically overwhelmed". I'm not just referring to emergency room beds, I'm looking at all of the various issues. For instance, in that one article, they had a picture of a bunch of dopey VaTech students standing (maskless) in a tightly packed line at the Urgent Care, even though there were signs instructing them on how to check in on an app and wait in their cars.

A lot of these small college towns don't have a large inventory of masks, they don't have enough non-hospital medical facilities to handle a surge in (non-life-threatening) medical care, they don't have a ton of pharmacies, etc. Maybe a better way of me verbalizing it would be to point out that these small towns are not very well prepared to handle the population surge (unless we are strictly limiting the conversation to drive-through fast food capacity).

I would also point out that a lot of what needs to be addressed on the student side (and probably the riskiest behavior) is the social gathering stuff, which (at this point) probably requires more of a police effort. For the most part, being a college-town cop is an easy job, I just don't think a lot of those small town cops are prepared for having to become social police.

Do I really care if it costs VaTech a few more football games? Not really.

I think there was a recent update of UM's game-by-game predictions, and while we can all anticipate a loss at Clemson, our next heaviest underdog game was against VaTech (we are projected as mild underdogs against UNC). So, yeah, I don't give a **** if VaTech has to play with limited numbers, or even if they have to chicken out (turkey out?) of the game.

Fugg 'em.

Advertisement
You make good points, and I should be more precise on "medically overwhelmed". I'm not just referring to emergency room beds, I'm looking at all of the various issues. For instance, in that one article, they had a picture of a bunch of dopey VaTech students standing (maskless) in a tightly packed line at the Urgent Care, even though there were signs instructing them on how to check in on an app and wait in their cars.

A lot of these small college towns don't have a large inventory of masks, they don't have enough non-hospital medical facilities to handle a surge in (non-life-threatening) medical care, they don't have a ton of pharmacies, etc. Maybe a better way of me verbalizing it would be to point out that these small towns are not very well prepared to handle the population surge (unless we are strictly limiting the conversation to drive-through fast food capacity).

I would also point out that a lot of what needs to be addressed on the student side (and probably the riskiest behavior) is the social gathering stuff, which (at this point) probably requires more of a police effort. For the most part, being a college-town cop is an easy job, I just don't think a lot of those small town cops are prepared for having to become social police.

Do I really care if it costs VaTech a few more football games? Not really.

I think there was a recent update of UM's game-by-game predictions, and while we can all anticipate a loss at Clemson, our next heaviest underdog game was against VaTech (we are projected as mild underdogs against UNC). So, yeah, I don't give a **** if VaTech has to play with limited numbers, or even if they have to chicken out (turkey out?) of the game.

Fugg 'em.

Going to go out on the limb and say zero chance we lose to Virginia Tech. They are a mess.

It's bull****. 36 new cases yesterday in Montgomery County. Since March there have been 4 deaths and the last person to die from Kung Flu was a month ago. 100,000 people in the county. This was an issue 3 weeks ago and to be expected when classes started back up. ICU capacity is at 41%. Numbers are coming down significantly.

Going to go out on the limb and say zero chance we lose to Virginia Tech. They are a mess.

Ha! I agree with you! When I saw that we were bigger underdogs for VaTech than UNC, I realized they were giving WAY too much advantage to the "home team".

Unless, of course, VaTech intends to give us a Covid-infected locker room.

It's bull****. 36 new cases yesterday in Montgomery County. Since March there have been 4 deaths and the last person to die from Kung Flu was a month ago. 100,000 people in the county. This was an issue 3 weeks ago and to be expected when classes started back up. ICU capacity is at 41%. Numbers are coming down significantly.

For the millionth time, Covid is about more than "deaths" and "ICU beds".

Advertisement
There's not a coach in the ACC that I dislike more than Fuente.

He's a total hypocrite & arrogant prick.

I hope we do get play them & beat the dogshìt out of'em, although I doubt they end up playing at all this year.

Maybe we can replace the Va Tech game with Duke, I really want a revenge game against Duke. Doubt it would happen logistically, but if we end up having to cancel the Va Tech the first team I want us to schedule is Duke.
Notre dame please

They've had to cancel/reschedule their first two games. There is some doubt they will be able to play this weekend. I saw this article last night about what is going on at Va Tech. It sounds like it will be a challenge for them to get through the season at no fault of the football program. It seems like the University was totally unprepared for bringing students back to campus....

This is out of hand. These kids will be asymptomatic for the most part...virtually zero chance of death. So keep them away from old people but let them live and let's get on with life.

Advertisement
you are totally missing the point. even if the disease is safe for 99% of the people who contract it you can't allow it to spread through the community and a football team. you have to isolate anyone who tests positive and anyone they have been in contact with. there are only a finite amount of players on a team. once you have multiple exposures you can't field a team/
BS...over a 99% chance of this being nothing for most people. The young kids probably wouldn't even know they had it (asymptomatic) if there wasn't constant testing. If you are under age 75 or morbidly obese, this is a nonfactor. A day or two of sickness at most.

There's not a coach in the ACC that I dislike more than Fuente.

He's a total hypocrite & arrogant prick.

I hope we do get play them & beat the dogshìt out of'em, although I doubt they end up playing at all this year.

Maybe we can replace the Va Tech game with Duke, I really want a revenge game against Duke. Doubt it would happen logistically, but if we end up having to cancel the Va Tech the first team I want us to schedule is Duke.

Agreed. Still cant stand all the whining ****sniff did about that game we won on all the laterals knowing they had thrown over 20 flags on us and Artie ended it earlier in the drive with the INT.

That loss to Fuente last year was just brutal. His team had pretty much quite on him and Williams came out and handed them the game

Advertisement
BS...over a 99% chance of this being nothing for most people. The young kids probably wouldn't even know they had it (asymptomatic) if there wasn't constant testing. If you are under age 75 or morbidly obese, this is a nonfactor. A day or two of sickness at most.
Clearly, you don't know anyone who has actually had symptoms

For the millionth time, Covid is about more than "deaths" and "ICU beds".
In your opinion, but not mine. BTW, 1.6% of Virginians have tested positive for Kung Flu and .03% have died. The new case weekly trend lines continue to improve week over week. The weekly death rate rolling average has dropped from 16.1 per day (65%) in the last 30 days. Every metric here in the Commonwealth is favorable over the past 30 days.

Advertisement
Back