Will Manny tweak his defensive scheme?

Manny’s defense has been fun to watch 70% of the time but somebody got to answer for Phillips taking himself out the play all night.
Was Phillips playing terrible or was Baker calling pass defenses all game while UNC ran it down our throat? I need answers.
**** was so bad the game looked fixed.
It looked fixed. I kept thinking to myself on several tackle attempts, "They aren't even trying!" It looked like they were not trying, at all. Now I'm not saying it was because the game was fixed, but I will say the players were not giving any kind of effort.

Advertisement
UNC's plan on offense was to take away our DEs and isolate our LBs and they did it to perfection. Pulling the LT left Roche on an island in backside pursuit all night and they double teamed and chipped Phillips.

There wasn't much Phillips could do. It didn't show up in the box score but I saw numerous times he had control of his man and forced the play back inside and we had no one there to finish it.

To stop what UNC was doing - your DTs have to be in the back field or your LBs have to shed blocks and make tackles. Neither of those happened. The alternative is to run blitz with LBs and force the ball carriers to bounce it and layer that with a delayed CB blitz off the edge and they meet the RB and make a play. We just didn't see any aggressive play from the LBs and I think UNC was shocked at that. They anticipated forcing our LBs to play aggressive and then pick us apart in the passing game with a thin secondary. We took the opposite approach - avoid them picking us apart and try to slow the run and rely on 3rd down defense holding up (bend dont break) and we couldn't do it.
Naw. Looked like Phillips was ducking blocks to me. If he blows up the first puller and sets some kind of edge the play is dead.

instead he kept running up field and the puller went right behind. The edge was none existent all game and that’s on the DE. He even tried to go under the pullers and left the outside wide open once or twice. He needed to blow up them blockers and let someone else have the tackle.

every time he didn’t it was wide open. The one time he plowed into the pullers it was a TFL.

I think Manny understands he needs to be and is willing to be a CEO HC. The issue is he's handcuffed himself hiring a bunch of buddies and thinking they were going to do well because it was his same defense that stayed in the top 5. He didn't expect a change in coordinator to cause a massive dropoff into the 40s this fast.

Being a CEO and changing his scheme won't be the difficult part for him. It will be firing friends and proteges.

Not only does he have to fire Baker but how can Banda be a co-DC in a scheme that he doesn't know? Banda was already promoted to DC under Richt and took a demotion when Manny came back and hired Baker. He's gonna either have to be let go or take another demotion or just be the Co-DC in a scheme he doesn't know or find a new job and "leave on his own terms".

I'm not skeptical that Manny would be opposed to the CEO role and having a D that's not his. I'm more concerned he stays loyal to his proteges and thinks he can make minor tweaks and just goes down with the ship he's built and staff he's molded.

It looked fixed. I kept thinking to myself on several tackle attempts, "They aren't even trying!" It looked like they were not trying, at all. Now I'm not saying it was because the game was fixed, but I will say the players were not giving any kind of effort.
Effort was absolutely an issue. Scheme was absolutely an issue. How can anyone disagree?

I think Manny understands he needs to be and is willing to be a CEO HC. The issue is he's handcuffed himself hiring a bunch of buddies and thinking they were going to do well because it was his same defense that stayed in the top 5. He didn't expect a change in coordinator to cause a massive dropoff into the 40s this fast.

Being a CEO and changing his scheme won't be the difficult part for him. It will be firing friends and proteges.

Not only does he have to fire Baker but how can Banda be a co-DC in a scheme that he doesn't know? Banda was already promoted to DC under Richt and took a demotion when Manny came back and hired Baker. He's gonna either have to be let go or take another demotion or just be the Co-DC in a scheme he doesn't know or find a new job and "leave on his own terms".

I'm not skeptical that Manny would be opposed to the CEO role and having a D that's not his. I'm more concerned he stays loyal to his proteges and thinks he can make minor tweaks and just goes down with the ship he's built and staff he's molded.
Banda better take that demotion and stfu lol. He don’t have no business being a coordinator in training at Miami.

Advertisement
Effort was absolutely an issue. Scheme was absolutely an issue. How can anyone disagree?
I've seen teams quit. It happens. What I saw last weekend was a team that never tried, on the D side at least. They didn't quit, because they never started. I don't think I have ever seen that level of, "I don't give a crap" in my life.

I dont think its a scheme situation. Its an inability to adjust mid stream during a game against a staff with a pulse. It's almost like Diaz doesn't understand personnel and match UPS. That goes for Lash to.

Whoever Miami plays next will try to emulate what unc did if they're smart. I wanna see if Diaz can make the changes he needs to by then. If he can't swallow his pride and change he might as well leave now.

Last edited:
No. Lets move on......because deep down you know he won't.
good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

This is his only option.

If Manny wants to be a successful CEO and head of this program, he needs to focus 100% of his energies there—not playing some on-call role for an in over his head defensive coordinator that is some sort of protege.

Butch Davis is a defensive-minded guy. He hired Bill Miller in 1995, who'd been the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State for six seasons—turning the reigns over.

Miller was out after year four; after Miami gave up 66 in a loss to Syracuse and 45 in a win over UCLA—Davis bringing in the then-unknown Greg Schiano, who was know for a more attacking-style defense that he ran at Miami the next two seasons, before getting trapped for the head coaching gig at Rutgers.

In short, whatever Manny was as a defensive coordinator—he's a head coach now and his job is to play CEO and put the best people in position to help the Hurricanes succeed.

We'll see what he has the cojones to do this off-season—but it starts with punting on Blake Baker.

My two cents; go get Charlie Strong—who is wasting time as an "analyst" under Nick Saban at Alabama. Strong failed in his past two head coaching gigs, but is a solid defensive coordinator and a **** of a recruiter in the Sunshine State—not to mention, a guy that has actually been a head coach at three different places.
All of this👆🏾!!! Head Coach Manny must think differently and make different moves than DC Manny. It’s more at stake. He better recognize this soon, or his *** will be Unemployed Manny!

Advertisement
I was listening to a Larry Blustein pre signing day interview the other day. He said the O found its identity and scheme. He then chuckled and said the D needs to determine its scheme. I don’t know anything about defense, but if NC was letting the DEs upfield penetration so they could run under them while pulling the backside tackle and guard...wouldn’t telling the DE’s not to penetrate to the extent they do, while telling the DTs to penetrate and impede the pulling OL have possibly stopped the same run play that killed us? I didn’t see our million dollar DC do squat for an adjustment. We didn’t sell out to stop the run like the three teams that beat NC did.

I was listening to a Larry Blustein pre signing day interview the other day. He said the O found its identity and scheme. He then chuckled and said the D needs to determine its scheme. I don’t know anything about defense, but if NC was letting the DEs upfield penetration so they could run under them while pulling the backside tackle and guard...wouldn’t telling the DE’s not to penetrate to the extent they do, while telling the DTs to penetrate and impede the pulling OL have possibly stopped the same run play that killed us? I didn’t see our million dollar DC do squat for an adjustment. We didn’t sell out to stop the run like the three teams that beat NC did.
They did that to protect Howell when he passed. Since we never adjusted, they just kept running it.

Agree with this but I really dont think Manny is stubborn & stupid like Golden whose loyalty to D'No ended his career. Manny has proven to be smarter and a bit more savage (firing entire O squad after Richt albeit those were not his guys).

I give it a 80% chance Rumph is gone and 65% chance Baker is gone but those are just random guesses. Banda stays as S coach or Manny helps get him a job elsewhere.

If Manny is really smart, he has already called Muschamp and T-Rob and gone to Blake to get the $ needed to bring them in before they are snatched up elsewhere. While Baker is prob cheap ($500K?), I do think Manny/Blake can round up the boosters to get $1M+ to get someone like Muschamp to come down (if we would accept a DC job under Manny...would prob require full control like Lash)

Advertisement
I saw the words "Manny" and "tweak" and thought something came out about him having a crystal meth problem or something. That certainly would explain him signing off on our defensive philosophy this year.

Advertisement

Maybe I'm unrealistically optimistic but I think Manny removes Baker, keeps Banda as Co-DC so that he doesn't lose his $$$ and to reward him for his outstanding job on recruiting trail, and then hire a DC that also coaches LBs. Patke goes full time ST coach and Mike, well, Mike will probably be gone too as the new DC brings in his CB coach or make it easy by bringing Muschamp and his CB coach TRob. The take on Banda learning a new scheme etc doesn't fit because so would Stroud and we all know Stroud isn't going anywhere.

I defer to others on Xs and Os, but this idea that the scheme needs to change strikes me as somewhat odd. We've never looked as bad as we did Saturday, either this year or ever during Diaz's tenure here. If opposing offenses were constantly out-scheming us, that's one thing. But that's not been the case. The insinuation is that UNC cracked the code and now we need to change the D. But it couldn't have been that easy, otherwise every team would have done it and that hasn't been the case.

That said, I do think Diaz needs to fire Blake and he needs to find someone with a different approach to infuse different ideas, methods, etc. That's always a plus (for any organization). But I'm struggling to grasp that there's a fundamental scheme problem (as there was when we were pursuing pro style in comparison to a more modern offense).

Advertisement
Back