Will Manny tweak his defensive scheme?

I defer to others on Xs and Os, but this idea that the scheme needs to change strikes me as somewhat odd. We've never looked as bad as we did Saturday, either this year or ever during Diaz's tenure here. If opposing offenses were constantly out-scheming us, that's one thing. But that's not been the case. The insinuation is that UNC cracked the code and now we need to change the D. But it couldn't have been that easy, otherwise every team would have done it and that hasn't been the case.

That said, I do think Diaz needs to fire Blake and he needs to find someone with a different approach to infuse different ideas, methods, etc. That's always a plus (for any organization). But I'm struggling to grasp that there's a fundamental scheme problem (as there was when we were pursuing pro style in comparison to a more modern offense).
The scheme is fundamentally unsound. It’s been that way since Diaz has been here. No gap integrity. Linebackers don’t fill correct gaps. Ends get upfield as quickly as possible. Constantly get outflanked pre snap. Cut back lanes are everywhere. Not to mention we don’t have anyone who can cover so there’s holes everywhere in our coverage. The scheme is dog ****

Advertisement
I know OP means well, but a tweak is when you’re doing 68 mph, then you come down to 67 mph. Manny’s doing 11 mph, and need to get to at least 60.

Advertisement
Back