Will Manny tweak his defensive scheme?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
Manny obviously isn't getting fired this offseason, so let's not even go there for now.

I think he has three options moving forward.

A) Hand over the defense to a different defense mind. I think this is highly unlikely because it's a repudiation of his whole career.

B) Scapegoat somebody (or not) and essentially come back with the same mindset. "We just need better players and better focus."

C) Tweak the scheme. A question for anybody who had the stomach to rewatch the UNC game: did we make any discernible adjustments in the second half? In one of his postgame pressers, Manny said they tried to adapt in order to counter what UNC was doing, but it didn't work because guys were emotionally exhausted and blah blah blah.

Did we change our alignment or anything in any meaningful way? I didn't notice while watching, but I was also laughing hysterically, so I don't know what the **** I saw.

Whether or not we did adjust, will Manny tweak stuff?

He wouldn't be the first coach who's had to adapt. It's essentially the evolution of every coach. They may have core tenets, but no scheme stays 100% the same over the course of a decade.

Which road will Manny take?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I dont understand how a guy like Venables is going to iowa st to learn new things and stay cutting edge to keep defense on point but Manny surrounds himself with yes men running some version of mickey andrews defense with all these extra coaches with 2 LB corches, 2 DB corches but not new different ideas, no knowledge of another scheme.. Hope he sees how the offense benefitted from multiple OC on offensive staff helped and he brings someone to replace some guys on defense.. That UNC game was too embarrassing for him to explain away as emotions, I have never heard some **** like that since Al Golden..

I think Manny will bring in a DC that has similar defensive concepts that are agreeable to him but also let that DC run the D. Similar to with Lashlee, Manny knew the concept was Spread O, and Lashlee was agreeable and implemented his style of Spread O. So if Manny is set on running an attacking/havoc style D, maybe for example Will Muschamp is agreeable with that, but decides to transition from a 4-2-5 attacking/havor style D, to maybe a traditional 4-3 or perhaps even an exotic 4-4 style that can take advantage of studs like JWill20. Manny will retain the concept of attacking the QB to create havoc but his new DC can make that happen in multiple schemes.

IMO vs UNC we should've went 5-2-4 on them to stop the run, and played zone vs the pass. A savvy uber-experienced DC would've saw that and made the adjustment, guys like Lovie Smith-Will Muschamp-Charlie Strong not letting you beat them w/1 or 2 plays.

If by Tweaking it, u mean getting rid of a few defensive coaches, getting a new playbook, and bringing in a LB or 2 that don’t look lost as **** during the games, then by all means.... yes, he should.

Advertisement
A) Hand over the defense to a different defense mind. I think this is highly unlikely because it's a repudiation of his whole career.

This is his only option.

If Manny wants to be a successful CEO and head of this program, he needs to focus 100% of his energies there—not playing some on-call role for an in over his head defensive coordinator that is some sort of protege.

Butch Davis is a defensive-minded guy. He hired Bill Miller in 1995, who'd been the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State for six seasons—turning the reigns over.

Miller was out after year four; after Miami gave up 66 in a loss to Syracuse and 45 in a win over UCLA—Davis bringing in the then-unknown Greg Schiano, who was know for a more attacking-style defense that he ran at Miami the next two seasons, before getting trapped for the head coaching gig at Rutgers.

In short, whatever Manny was as a defensive coordinator—he's a head coach now and his job is to play CEO and put the best people in position to help the Hurricanes succeed.

We'll see what he has the cojones to do this off-season—but it starts with punting on Blake Baker.

My two cents; go get Charlie Strong—who is wasting time as an "analyst" under Nick Saban at Alabama. Strong failed in his past two head coaching gigs, but is a solid defensive coordinator and a **** of a recruiter in the Sunshine State—not to mention, a guy that has actually been a head coach at three different places.

He's incapable of tweaking his scheme since he doesn't have the acumen or talent (himself, not the players) to do so.

He can't really scapegoat anyone since it's his defense, and he's been saying all year how he spends all of his time in the defense and helping run it.

His only move is to hand it over to someone else and get tf out of the way.

Manny is many things, but stupid is not one of them. He knows what he needs to do.

Advertisement
Manny obviously isn't getting fired this offseason, so let's not even go there for now.

I think he has three options moving forward.

B) Scapegoat somebody (or not) and essentially come back with the same mindset. "We just need better players and better focus."

C) Tweak the scheme. A question for anybody who had the stomach to rewatch the UNC game: did we make any discernible adjustments in the second half? In one of his postgame pressers, Manny said they tried to adapt in order to counter what UNC was doing, but it didn't work because guys were emotionally exhausted and blah blah blah.

Did we change our alignment or anything in any meaningful way? I didn't notice while watching, but I was also laughing hysterically, so I don't know what the **** I saw.

Whether or not we did adjust, will Manny tweak stuff?

He wouldn't be the first coach who's had to adapt. It's essentially the evolution of every coach. They may have core tenets, but no scheme stays 100% the same over the course of a decade.

Which road will Manny take?
I can answer that easy for you, manny will take the road to the unemployment line and at best a future of group of five DC jobs. And I mean at best, realistically he’s an FCS coach, shoot we have highschool coaches here in Florida that are ten times the coach he is.

I think he's going to come up with a new trinket. Maybe a "Tackle a dude before he gets 20 yards" belt?

Advertisement
Manny’s defense has been fun to watch 70% of the time but somebody got to answer for Phillips taking himself out the play all night.
Was Phillips playing terrible or was Baker calling pass defenses all game while UNC ran it down our throat? I need answers.
**** was so bad the game looked fixed.

Does anyone really think he's under pressure from UM to do anything? This year was a wet dream for Blake James and the BoT. Top 10 most of the season, several wins in primetime, very good recruiting class. Florida losing to LSU was the big story last week. Its easy to sweep what happened last week under the rug.

Now if Highsmith was here and in charge of making those decisions...it's a different story.

Manny’s defense has been fun to watch 70% of the time but somebody got to answer for Phillips taking himself out the play all night.
Was Phillips playing terrible or was Baker calling pass defenses all game while UNC ran it down our throat? I need answers.
**** was so bad the game looked fixed.
UNC's plan on offense was to take away our DEs and isolate our LBs and they did it to perfection. Pulling the LT left Roche on an island in backside pursuit all night and they double teamed and chipped Phillips.

There wasn't much Phillips could do. It didn't show up in the box score but I saw numerous times he had control of his man and forced the play back inside and we had no one there to finish it.

To stop what UNC was doing - your DTs have to be in the back field or your LBs have to shed blocks and make tackles. Neither of those happened. The alternative is to run blitz with LBs and force the ball carriers to bounce it and layer that with a delayed CB blitz off the edge and they meet the RB and make a play. We just didn't see any aggressive play from the LBs and I think UNC was shocked at that. They anticipated forcing our LBs to play aggressive and then pick us apart in the passing game with a thin secondary. We took the opposite approach - avoid them picking us apart and try to slow the run and rely on 3rd down defense holding up (bend dont break) and we couldn't do it.

If by Tweaking it, u mean getting rid of a few defensive coaches, getting a new playbook, and bringing in a LB or 2 that don’t look lost as **** during the games, then by all means.... yes, he should.
mood GIF

dIAZ scheme sucks. Any and I mean any above average talent and decent coaching runs over dIAZ

Advertisement
Back