Why Miami's D'Eriq King is poised to have a Joe Burrow-like impact for the Hurricanes in 2020

Jesus Christ. Settle the **** down. Burrow type year? How many times has that been done in the history of cfb?
The title is "Joe Burrow-like impact" not a Joe Burrow type year. The impact Joe Burrow had was to turn around a god-awful offense. So if King can turn around Miami's offense then, yes you could argue he would had a Joe-Burrow like impact.

Advertisement
#1 receiver could be B. Jordan. Miami has 2 of the best TEs in the country. There are all sorts of variations on the spread offense. Look at the evolution of the Air Raid from Leach to Riley's Raid at Oklahoma (adding a run game). Riley saw what he had- good RBs- and adapted his system to the talent.

I haven't seen a TE based Air Raid yet. TE is where Miami has a sizable edge over most teams. Leach actually discussed the issue of TEs in the Air Raid. He said a great TE would be an incredible asset in the air Raid, but he hasn't been able to recruit elite TEs. The players he might recruit as TEs are either better blockers (so he turns them into OL) or more impactful as DEs. He never found a true pass catching TE that provided an advantage over a comparable WR. Miami doesn't have that problem.

Lashlee has an opportunity to design a unique Miami offense- take Sonny Dykes vertical Air Raid, Malzahn's run based spread, a focus on utilizing dynamic TEs, and throw them in a blender and you have an offense that CFB hasn't seen yet. It could have as much an impact as Erickson's one-back spread offense.

good post

For context, KJ Osborn had less receptions here than he had the year before at Buffalo. Harley is the most productive WR remaining because it was easier for us to get the ball to our slot WR than to come up with actual mismatches or route combinations.

Looking at numbers in this case is a lot like looking at defensive statistics under D'Onofrio. In 2015, our Top 4 TFL players had 8.5, 8, 6, 5.5 TFLs, respectively. In 2016, we had our Top 4 TFL players in double digits. Our 6th guy (Trent Harris) went from 5.5 TFLs the year before to 9.5 TFLs in 2016. Our 9th guy (Gerald Willis) in TFLs in 2016 had 5.5 (same as the 4th guy in 2015).

Analyzing past productivity is almost worthless as a predictor of individual player impact in a radically new system.
Believe me I was on spread tip for dam near a decade when MOST were on the "we are NFLU pro style bro" for life BS. I understand the production you can get from a true spread and system with increase plays and such. But there has to be a balance between system and talent. That dline had talent. We had the meme goin for years of "can he play DT?" but by the time the switch was made Golden actually built a solid dline and left it pretty stocked for the next guy.

All I am saying is that is not comparable as the WR position is not stocked with fruit so our chef can cook. I ask people if Harley isnt #1 based on whatever metric they want to use then who is and they say scheme or something like you dont need talent also. We need to restock the talent big time, not surprised we have a TON of WR offers out. Those air raid teams like to have ALOT of wr choices and depth.

I get what you guys are saying system will help increase these guys. What I am saying is their is a maximum ceiling for any player and these guys soo far have shown low ceiling regardless of systems. Wiggins is a wildcard but needs alot of work, Pope hasnt shown much but will get alot of opportunity. After that everything is question mark.

Anyway I expect us to be more spread to run when the chips are down.

Believe me I was on spread tip for dam near a decade when MOST were on the "we are NFLU pro style bro" for life BS. I understand the production you can get from a true spread and system with increase plays and such. But there has to be a balance between system and talent. That dline had talent. We had the meme goin for years of "can he play DT?" but by the time the switch was made Golden actually built a solid dline and left it pretty stocked for the next guy.

All I am saying is that is not comparable as the WR position is not stocked with fruit so our chef can cook. I ask people if Harley isnt #1 based on whatever metric they want to use then who is and they say scheme or something like you dont need talent also. We need to restock the talent big time, not surprised we have a TON of WR offers out. Those air raid teams like to have ALOT of wr choices and depth.

I get what you guys are saying system will help increase these guys. What I am saying is their is a maximum ceiling for any player and these guys soo far have shown low ceiling regardless of systems. Wiggins is a wildcard but needs alot of work, Pope hasnt shown much but will get alot of opportunity. After that everything is question mark.
I think there's more talent in that room, collectively, than other teams. If we have a season, we'll see.

Advertisement
People are forgetting Burrow had 2 years at LSU, 2018 was decent not great:

Burrow stats

King gets one year without a spring practice...

Exactly. Our offense is going to struggle again next season for the simple fact that it’s a new system with no spring camp and probably a shortened fall camp. Just our luck.

Burrow and LSU struggled in 2018 because Brady wasn’t there. In Burrow’s first year with Brady in a completely different offense in 2019 he set records and their offense was an absolute joy to watch.

There’s no reason King and Lashlee can’t lead a great offensive turnaround in their first year together just like Burrow and Brady did.

I just hope to see him play, which may not happen here.

If that doesn't happen, who cursed us? We finally get a guy who plays the the game like the S FL kids do and never suits up? He could be the most instrumental player ever in recruiting if he gets the opportunity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Exactly. Our offense is going to struggle again next season for the simple fact that it’s a new system with no spring camp and probably a shortened fall camp. Just our luck.

Struggle against whom? 1st 3 games are scrimmages. Then Michigan St which is a mess. Next is Pitt at home, and Miami has owned Pitt the last few years (5-2). Then a Friday night game at Wake, which had the 76th ranked D (ppg) and 101st ranked pass defense.

Then the bye week. Oh lord the bye week- it doesn't matter if the team had been practicing since Feb, I'm worried coming off a bye.

By this point we're basically in November. If the O is having problems in November, I think it will have much more to do with coaching and talent than lack of practice.

Last edited:
Struggle against who? 1st 3 games are scrimmages. Then Michigan St which is a mess. Next is Pitt at home, and Miami has owned Pitt the last few years (5-2). Then a Friday night game at Wake, which had the 76th ranked D (ppg) and 101st ranked pass defense.

Then the bye week. Oh lord the bye week- it doesn't matter if the team had been practicing since Feb, I'm worried coming off a bye.

By this point we're basically in November. If the O is having problems in November, I think it will have much more to do with coaching and talent than lack of practice.
I have a feeling they will cancel all out of conference games to shorten the season.

Advertisement
Burrow and LSU struggled in 2018 because Brady wasn’t there. In Burrow’s first year with Brady in a completely different offense in 2019 he set records and their offense was an absolute joy to watch.

There’s no reason King and Lashlee can’t lead a great offensive turnaround in their first year together just like Burrow and Brady did.
Exactly, and no one is expecting him to put up the same Exact stats burrow put up but he could turn the offense around. I’ll take a coach who coached a top 10 offense as an Offensive coordinator in 2019 and D’Eriq king who was one of just 2-3 qbs with 50 tds in college football in 2018 rather than the alternative... people making this complicated thinking about this too much lol

Struggle against who? 1st 3 games are scrimmages. Then Michigan St which is a mess. Next is Pitt at home, and Miami has owned Pitt the last few years (5-2). Then a Friday night game at Wake, which had the 76th ranked D (ppg) and 101st ranked pass defense.

Yeah, and I hope we’re complaining about the first three games in a few months. That is, them being too easy. Rather than wishing we had a season.

I have a feeling they will cancel all out of conference games to shorten the season.
Yes because it's very important to shorten the season. No one wants a full season of college football after being bored shytless for 3 months.

Advertisement
He was 11 of 24 for 140 yards, we gifted the game to LSU
Burrow got to LSU late if I remember correctly and we thought we could take advantage of that (no spring, was summer enrollee) He started season very slow but last few games got mor comfortable in offense and stat logs show he finished season pretty good. Then Brady came and they took it to another level

Burrow got to LSU late if I remember correctly and we thought we could take advantage of that (no spring, was summer enrollee) He started season very slow but last few games got mor comfortable in offense and stat logs show he finished season pretty good. Then Brady came and they took it to another level
It had far more to do with his options. Heard a stat recently where, in 2018, LSU sent out 5WRs like 30% of the time. In 2019, that was over 80% of the time. It was a radical change at the very core of their philosophy. It fit Burrow well, as he's an older dude who apparently thinks quickly. Burrow has tools, but the scheme and fit made the largest differences. This wasn't "already brewing."

It had far more to do with his options. Heard a stat recently where, in 2018, LSU sent out 5WRs like 30% of the time. In 2019, that was over 80% of the time. It was a radical change at the very core of their philosophy. It fit Burrow well, as he's an older dude who apparently thinks quickly. Burrow has tools, but the scheme and fit made the largest differences. This wasn't "already brewing."
It wasn't "brewing" at all. Burrow was in a completely new offense in 2019. Guys get fooled because Emsminger got to hang around and spectate because he's a good old boy. But that 2019 offense had no similarity to the 2018 offense. Burrow even said it himself.

Advertisement
Back