Why Miami's D'Eriq King is poised to have a Joe Burrow-like impact for the Hurricanes in 2020

Anybody have any lotion? All the stores around me are out. May just have to use spit if I can’t find any after reading this

Advertisement
If the offensive line improves, he will definitely have a productive year. But what Burrow did last year was special. He had an amazing receiving core and great offensive line that all helped him to succeed.

"To put it bluntly, Miami has been gosh-awful on offense. Like, so awful that Miami's time in the ACC these last 16 years has been marked mostly by not having a quarterback who could lead it to a championship.mWho knew Brock Berlin (2003 Big East champion!) could be missed so much?

Enter King, who not only saw a chance to start but to thrive. Lashlee is a veteran offensive mind at only 36. Already the Gus Malzahn protégé has won a national championship at Auburn as a graduate assistant in 2010 and played for one in 2013 as the Tigers' offensive coordinator.

"Seven years I was in the SEC," Lashlee reminded. "There's something about being on those stages. Places like Miami with the history they have here. It's 'The U.' I was not numb to what has been here, to what can be done."

Lashlee completed a successful two-year run at SMU by becoming a 2019 semifinalist for the Broyles Award (best assistant coach). Here's a hint of what Miami can become: The Mustangs finishing second nationally in plays per game (79.8) while running a play every 21.7 seconds"
I really hope he has Cam Newton type of production, joe burrow was two years in the system and once he got completely comfortable he started balling , cam cane right over after he transferred and won heisman and I hope king can do the same

I really hope he has Cam Newton type of production, joe burrow was two years in the system and once he got completely comfortable he started balling , cam cane right over after he transferred and won heisman and I hope king can do the same
That's tough to do. Cam Newton was a **** of a good football player. He also had a great team around him at Auburn

Advertisement
Never said none. Lol.. But excuse me if I dont feel the warm and fuzzies with Harley being touted as a #1 WR threat. I think some guys cloud judgement because he is good team guy but he is a limited player at moment and what we have seen on the field. Hope for the best with the whole core tho, hopefully someone steps wayy up.
So now Harley’s our number 1 WR because one goofball made a stray comment on the internet? It never ends.

Advertisement
So now Harley’s our number 1 WR because one goofball made a stray comment on the internet? It never ends.
At moment, he is our top returning WR. Its Harley, Wiggins and Pope as returning guys with experience. Thats it

Who do you have as the guy at the moment?

Sooo Im guessing Lashlee is brady and King is Burrow

Who is gonna be the jamarr chase and justin jefferson? Lol..

Heck do we even have a terrence marshall

No, but I did a quick search of QB stats for the 2018 season.
There were 8 positive QB categories, listing the top 20 QB's.
King was listed in 4:
11th in YPA
9th in Adjusted YPA
6th in TD's
7th in Passing Efficiency.

Burrow was not listed in any of the categories.
Needless to say, Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall were not listed in any of the receiving categories either.

LSU had a ton of guys who hadn't done a thing going into last season. In 2018 Justin Jefferson was the only receiver on their entire roster with more than 25 catches.

We have more than enough talent on this roster at receiver. We just need smart, talented and accurate QB to get them the ball.

This. People want to act like LSU had all this proven talent. They had one proven guy at receiver. The rest of those guys who lit it up last year had done next to nothing. Jamar Chase had a whopping 23 catches.

Even if you want to say Harley isn't a #1 receiver (he's not) we still have the nation's top returning tight end. It's amazing how much a receiver's production will increase when you run a boatload more plays and call a ton of short passes.

King doesn't need to have a Joe Burrow type season and Miami doesn't need to have a 2019 LSU type season to be very successful next year. If they improve moderately, they'll be good enough to win the division and play in a NY6 bowl game. Expecting more than that is unrealistic.

Advertisement

"To put it bluntly, Miami has been gosh-awful on offense. Like, so awful that Miami's time in the ACC these last 16 years has been marked mostly by not having a quarterback who could lead it to a championship.mWho knew Brock Berlin (2003 Big East champion!) could be missed so much?

Enter King, who not only saw a chance to start but to thrive. Lashlee is a veteran offensive mind at only 36. Already the Gus Malzahn protégé has won a national championship at Auburn as a graduate assistant in 2010 and played for one in 2013 as the Tigers' offensive coordinator.

"Seven years I was in the SEC," Lashlee reminded. "There's something about being on those stages. Places like Miami with the history they have here. It's 'The U.' I was not numb to what has been here, to what can be done."

Lashlee completed a successful two-year run at SMU by becoming a 2019 semifinalist for the Broyles Award (best assistant coach). Here's a hint of what Miami can become: The Mustangs finishing second nationally in plays per game (79.8) while running a play every 21.7 seconds"

I hate projections like this.

Let D'Eriq King come to Miami and do his best D'Eriq King.

What, now if he doesn't have a Heisman year, go undefeated and win a national championship—he doesn't live up to the Joe Burrow hype?

Dumb comparison in the sense Burrow had two years as LSU to get settled and he dominated year two after going 9-4 his junior year.

King has on year at Miami. Burrow comparison is pointless.

I hate projections like this.

Let D'Eriq King come to Miami and do his best D'Eriq King.

What, now if he doesn't have a Heisman year, go undefeated and win a national championship—he doesn't live up to the Joe Burrow hype?

Dumb comparison in the sense Burrow had two years as LSU to get settled and he dominated year two after going 9-4 his junior year.

King has on year at Miami. Burrow comparison is pointless.
I see it as a positive that King is highly regarded by some and many have high expectations for him beyond die hard Miami fans looking at it with orange and green glasses . I don't think the article is suggesting he will have a season on par with the season Burrow just had . They're looking at King stabilizing the QB position after a transfer,similar to what Burrow did after he arrived in Baton Rouge from Columbus.

At moment, he is our top returning WR. Its Harley, Wiggins and Pope as returning guys with experience. Thats it

Harley might have the most catches, but he's far from our number 1 WR. If he is, then our coaches are still idiots. He should be a role player here.

Advertisement

For context, KJ Osborn had less receptions here than he had the year before at Buffalo. Harley is the most productive WR remaining because it was easier for us to get the ball to our slot WR than to come up with actual mismatches or route combinations.

Looking at numbers in this case is a lot like looking at defensive statistics under D'Onofrio. In 2015, our Top 4 TFL players had 8.5, 8, 6, 5.5 TFLs, respectively. In 2016, we had our Top 4 TFL players in double digits. Our 6th guy (Trent Harris) went from 5.5 TFLs the year before to 9.5 TFLs in 2016. Our 9th guy (Gerald Willis) in TFLs in 2016 had 5.5 (same as the 4th guy in 2015).

Analyzing past productivity is almost worthless as a predictor of individual player impact in a radically new system.

Analyzing past productivity is almost worthless as a predictor of individual player impact in a radically new system.
This is where our fans go wrong. They think that they can predict anything based off what these guys did in a completely different system.

Harley might have the most catches, but he's far from our number 1 WR. If he is, then our coaches are still idiots. He should be a role player here.

I like Harley a lot, I like his work ethic, and I think he’s a quick little receiver in the slot that can break for some yardage. But he should not be our number one receiver, not if we’re doing things right. He should be a significant role player.

I like Harley a lot, I like his work ethic, and I think he’s a quick little receiver in the slot that can break for some yardage. But he should not be our number one receiver, not if we’re doing things right. He should be a significant role player.

#1 receiver could be B. Jordan. Miami has 2 of the best TEs in the country. There are all sorts of variations on the spread offense. Look at the evolution of the Air Raid from Leach to Riley's Raid at Oklahoma (adding a run game). Riley saw what he had- good RBs- and adapted his system to the talent.

I haven't seen a TE based Air Raid yet. TE is where Miami has a sizable edge over most teams. Leach actually discussed the issue of TEs in the Air Raid. He said a great TE would be an incredible asset in the air Raid, but he hasn't been able to recruit elite TEs. The players he might recruit as TEs are either better blockers (so he turns them into OL) or more impactful as DEs. He never found a true pass catching TE that provided an advantage over a comparable WR. Miami doesn't have that problem.

Lashlee has an opportunity to design a unique Miami offense- take Sonny Dykes vertical Air Raid, Malzahn's run based spread, a focus on utilizing dynamic TEs, and throw them in a blender and you have an offense that CFB hasn't seen yet. It could have as much an impact as Erickson's one-back spread offense.

Advertisement
Back