WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama get the same or more ridicule as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU

I think if you take out Torretta’s 2 picks, one of which was a pick 6, then there was maybe a chance. It seems in retrospect that maybe going deep a lot could’ve been the only chance against that defense.

The ‘91 defense is the best in college football history. By the ‘93 Sugar Bowl Medearis, Miller, and Hamlet we’re gone. Obviously Medearis was a big loss. It almost feels like in retrospect once Medearis went down it made it impossible to win the NC.

Actually Gino threw 3 INTs, and then you add Teague's strip of Thomas, Miami had a total of 4 total TOs. Can't win if you keep giving the other team the ball, turnovers eliminate scoring opportunities. But you're right on Alabama's D, their DB's were playing our WRs tight, probably should've mixed in some crossing routes to free up our WRs.

Advertisement
WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
Gino vs bama was a thorough butt whipping. From offense , defense and special teams. We showed up very over confident and got humbled.

Vinny single handily beat us, while the d kept us in it. They couldn't over come his **** of a game.

Looking back on it, it seemed like the '93 Sugar Bowl could've been one of those games where we completed some bombs to Thomas and Copeland. I was at the 1991 Penn State game and we torched them with the bomb. It's funny because (tv coverage cut for a while to Clarence Thomas coverage) you can't find any highlights of a 91 yard Kevin Williams punt return TD and an 80 yard bomb to Copeland for a TD. Both those plays were electric. About being over confident, as a fan I was very confident. I had noticed the things posters have mentioned like the lack of running game and OL depth. But when we beat SDSU 63-17 in the last game of the season and Torretta won the Heisman it seemed things were fine. And you don't lose Medearis early in the season and win the NC, it just doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Actually Gino threw 3 INTs, and then you add Teague's strip of Thomas, Miami had a total of 4 total TOs. Can't win if you keep giving the other team the ball, turnovers eliminate scoring opportunities. But you're right on Alabama's D, their DB's were playing our WRs tight, probably should've mixed in some crossing routes to free up our WRs.
The strip didn't count...it was called back...Bama was off sides....

Looking back on it, it seemed like the '93 Sugar Bowl could've been one of those games where we completed some bombs to Thomas and Copeland. I was at the 1991 Penn State game and we torched them with the bomb. It's funny because (tv coverage cut for a while to Clarence Thomas coverage) you can't find any highlights of a 91 yard Kevin Williams punt return TD and an 80 yard bomb to Copeland for a TD. Both those plays were electric. About being over confident, as a fan I was very confident. I had noticed the things posters have mentioned like the lack of running game and OL depth. But when we beat SDSU 63-17 in the last game of the season and Torretta won the Heisman it seemed things were fine. And you don't lose Medearis early in the season and win the NC, it just doesn't happen.
Torretta had no business winning the Heisman..

Advertisement
Gino vs bama was a thorough butt whipping. From offense , defense and special teams. We showed up very over confident and got humbled.

Vinny single handily beat us, while the d kept us in it. They couldn't over come his **** of a game.
The players were out till 4am partying in New Orleans...No curfew whatsoever...Combined with a garbage gameplan...Complete recipe for Disaster...

It's so true what some are saying that as far as tough losses go the '93 Sugar Bowl wasn't that tough of a loss to take. 1994 not winning the NC irks me more. And 2000 and 2002 getting screwed forget about it.

The schedule was so tough in 1992 anyways. There were so many memorable games. One I always remember is that 8-7 win over Arizona when their kicker barely missed a 51 yarder on the last play. Talk about suspense. That was such a nerve wracking moment. From our seats I thought the kick looked good. That was the closest game of the 58 game win streak. Then the next week beating FSU and the week after that at PSU. Then there was beating a top 10 Syracuse team on the road, tackling their TE at the 3 yard line.

Last edited:
It's so true what some are saying that as far as tough losses go the '93 Sugar Bowl wasn't that tough of a loss to take. 1994 not winning the NC irks me more. And 2000 and 2002 getting screwed forget about it.

The schedule was so tough in 1992 anyways. There were so many memorable games. One I always remember is that 8-7 win over Arizona when their kicker barely missed a 51 yarder on the last play. Talk about suspense. That was such a nerve wracking moment. From our seats I thought the kick looked good. That was the closest game of the 58 game win streak. Then the next week beating FSU and the week after that at PSU. Then there was beating a top 10 Syracuse team on the road, tackling their TE at the 3 yard line.
We weren't winning the 94 NC regardless...even if we were to have beaten Nebraska...Undefeated Penn St would've been crowned Champs..

Advertisement
If you say the 1991 schedule was a joke, which I disagree with, I could come right back and say the 2001 schedule was a joke. Anyone would rather face the 2001 schedule.

1991 faced PSU and FSU, who finished 3rd and 4th in the country. FSU had been ranked #1 all season. Weldon finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. The only reason they lost the next game to UF Is because they had nothing to play for anymore. I think 1991 FSU might be the best team they ever had. And PSU was loaded. I think 2001 is probably the best team of all time, but that schedule didn’t have any scary games against great teams.
No schedule comes close to the 1988 schedule:
Notre Dame #1
FSU #3
Michigan #4
Nebraska #10
Arkansas #12
LSU#19

Miami was at least 4 tds better than Ped St. the 92 team had many close calls was lucky to be undefeated

Gino did play poorly but bama had 260 yards rushing and Miami had less than 50. Gino had to throw the ball over 50 times. The team got stomped. Vinny threw 5 ints and almost single handedly lost the game against psu.. 445 yards to 162 for psu.

^^^ THIS.

Goes deeper than "#1 lost to #2 and both quarterbacks played bad". Facts matter. Miami couldn't run the ball against Bama's defense, whereas Alonzo Highsmith was taking it to Penn State and Testaverde blew it with five turnovers. Canes should've blown out the Nittany Lions, whereas Miami didn't look like it belonged on the same field with Alabama that night.

Advertisement
No schedule comes close to the 1988 schedule:
Notre Dame #1
FSU #3
Michigan #4
Nebraska #10
Arkansas #12
LSU#19

(1987 Canes enter the chat....)

#20 Florida
#10 Arkansas
#4 Florida State
#10 Notre Dame
#8 South Carolina
#1 Oklahoma (Orange Bowl)

(1987 Canes enter the chat....)

#20 Florida
#10 Arkansas
#4 Florida State
#10 Notre Dame
#8 South Carolina
#1 Oklahoma (Orange Bowl)
Those were final rankings for 1988. Florida and Arkansas finished outside the Top 20 in 1987. South Carolina finshed #15. Notre Dame finished #17 in UPI and outside Top 20 in Coaches poll.

Stevens had a read and react offense. Joe Pa kept showing passing plays would be the right call and confused Vinny. From what I've heard the coaches wanted Vinny to just run Highsmith but Vinny kept checking off to passing plays. During that game I kept wishing JJ would give Geoff (Gino's brother) Toretta a series as Geoff QB'd our final regular season game and threw for the most yards for any other game that year. If I ever meet JJ I will ask him that. Per JJ that was his most painful loss. By the way, PSU was loaded with 5th year seniors, probably why they could confuse Vinny. That was painful to watch and no doubt Vinny lost that game.

Advertisement
Stevens had a read and react offense. Joe Pa kept showing passing plays would be the right call and confused Vinny. From what I've heard the coaches wanted Vinny to just run Highsmith but Vinny kept checking off to passing plays. During that game I kept wishing JJ would give Geoff (Gino's brother) Toretta a series as Geoff QB'd our final regular season game and threw for the most yards for any other game that year. If I ever meet JJ I will ask him that. Per JJ that was his most painful loss. By the way, PSU was loaded with 5th year seniors, probably why they could confuse Vinny. That was painful to watch and no doubt Vinny lost that game.
The Tennessee Volunteers confused him the year before. Quite frankly Vinny won the Heisman for one game and really one play.

Too simplistic to narrow winning and losing down to qb play. In the Fiesta bowl we dominated both sides of the LOS, while in the Sugar Bowl we were dominated on both sides. In most games the LOS goes a long way in determining the outcome. So how did we lose a game we clearly dominated? TURNOVERS. It's not often one player in a game full of plays definitively determines the outcome, but Vinny managed to that night.

WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
I was at the game. The whole team stunk up the joint that day. It was painful.

I had supreme confidence in the passing game for 1992. I still think it could’ve been one of those games like PSU 1991 when the deep ball was destroying defenses. It looked like Torretta was missing a lot of passes that game.
Perhaps if Copeland caught one of his patented long TD’s things could’ve been tighter. I think the defense played well enough. They were missing so many players too. Even Medearis by himself could’ve probably kept that game close.

Advertisement
Back