WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama get the same or more ridicule as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU

Advertisement
Vinny threw 5 ints (some really questionable ones) and Gino threw 2 ints. Miami dominated PSU, Alabama dominated Miami. No comparison. Stupid ******* thread.

WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
Because Vinny singlehandedly lost the game.

Actually, don't get me started, but it was Gary Stevens who lost that game. I've written details about why that is, many times over the years.

Vinny didn't play well. He'd be the first to admit it, but it was Stevens who lost that game, not Vinny.

Advertisement
Actually, don't get me started, but it was Gary Stevens who lost that game. I've written details about why that is, many times over the years.

Vinny didn't play well. He'd be the first to admit it, but it was Stevens who lost that game, not Vinny.
I remember listening to the Jimmy Johnson Show after the Fiesta Bowl. He said it was his decision to throw when we had first and goal on the last drive. He then blamed Testaverde for talking him into throwing. Yes, Stevens should have ran Highsmith 30 times that game.

WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
Because Gino didn't throw the game.

PC to this day JJ says that is the game he still considers his worst game EVER. College or Pro.

If he had to do it again, he said in a recent interview, he would have run the ball, called in the bench and finished out the game with the Win.

JJ said it still hurts and he still thinks about that game.
Don't forget also that Vinnie was coming off the scooter accident and was not 100%.

Gino on the other hand had the team collapse around him and had to throw to make up for plays....

Vinnie (and I love him as one of my favorite Canes, could have settled down,) looked at the clock and put it in cruise control to get the win.

Now in a 20/20 review we have JJ blaming himself for the calls when Vinnie could have controlled the Line and made the calls at the line to bring it home.
The loss to Ped State was devastating, the Gino loss was a team that got beat....

HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE difference.

Advertisement
I remember listening to the Jimmy Johnson Show after the Fiesta Bowl. He said it was his decision to throw when we had first and goal on the last drive. He then blamed Testaverde for talking him into throwing. Yes, Stevens should have ran Highsmith 30 times that game.
yes, but that game wasn't lost on 1st and goal. jimmy regretted letting Gary Stevens do a lot of things that game that should have been dine differently

Just curious...Why??
Vinnys Canes were far better. The 91 Canes were not an all-time great team; under Erickson the talent level was quietly and slowly eroding and this was one of the early indicators of that.

Stallings had the perfect game plan defensively coming into the game using up to 6 DB's at a time and constant pressure from upfront. 42 of our 48 yards rushing came on the final drive of the game so it's hard too be mad at Gino.

Advertisement
Vinnys Canes were far better. The 91 Canes were not an all-time great team; under Erickson the talent level was quietly and slowly eroding and this was one of the early indicators of that.
It wasn't the 91 Canes that lost to Bama...it was the 92 Canes...and to say the 91 Canes weren't an All-time Great team is absurd...Best Defense in UM History...and whipped a good Nebraska team (their 1st shutout in 50+ yrs) for the NC...

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure Vinny crashed a moped on campus and didn't even play the regular season finale against East Carolina, which came after a bye week. By the time the Fiesta Bowl rolled around, he hadn't taken a snap in a game in 7 weeks! Shouldn't have started in all honesty. That one was probably on Jimmy, who learned a tough lesson that night.
They should have kept feeding the ball to Alonzo Highsmith. They couldn't stop him even with a sprained knee.

IMO no one player is ever responsible for a team loss.

In both games we were heavy favorites.

In both games our Heisman winning QB'S stunk up the joint.

But I've always found it strange how Vinny gets so much derision while Gino gets a pass.
I recall we had a patchwork oline (Carlos Etheredge was a converted te playing tackle) Gino was under constant harassment dropping back and could not get any ground game going. We were simply overmatched in the trenches.

Vinny kept throwing into coverage as their defense was game planned to drop back into coverage most of the game and take away our intermediate and deep throws. We could have run it all game but for some inexplicable reason never adjusted on offense. Maybe you could fault the coaching there too.

My lasting memory from that Sugar Bowl game was when Gino Torretta walked down Lamar Thomas and stripped the ball from him and started running the other direction.

Oh wait....
LOL, I know I'm wrong for this, but mines was Lassic doing Fred Sanford's "I'm coming Elizabeth!" after scoring a TD.

Advertisement
Back