WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama get the same or more ridicule as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU

MainLineCane

No More Excuses / Time to win
WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gino did play poorly but bama had 260 yards rushing and Miami had less than 50. Gino had to throw the ball over 50 times. The team got stomped. Vinny threw 5 ints and almost single handedly lost the game against psu.. 445 yards to 162 for psu.

IMO no one player is ever responsible for a team loss.

In both games we were heavy favorites.

In both games our Heisman winning QB'S stunk up the joint.

But I've always found it strange how Vinny gets so much derision while Gino gets a pass.

Last edited:

In both games we were heavy favorites

But I've always found it strange how Vinny gets so much derision while Gino gets a pass.
Close losses always hurt more than blowouts, in these situations.

In a close loss, if just one or two things had broken differently—if Vinny doesn’t throw that last INT, or if we run the ball there instead of forcing a pass—we’re national champs.

So that’s why the Fiesta Bowl loss gets more attention.

Advertisement
Go back and look at the Bama team from 1992 and you will find a lot of guys who played in the NFL, including 2 d-ends. Bama in 92 was a much better team than people understood and UM had a terrible offensive line which caught up to us against a very good Bama d-line.
the UM team in 86 may have been our second most talented team of all time and with a hall of fame coach.
let the 86 teams play 10 games and UM wins 8-9.
let the 92 teams play 10 games and I think UM wins 6, and maybe only 5.

I'm pretty sure Vinny crashed a moped on campus and didn't even play the regular season finale against East Carolina, which came after a bye week. By the time the Fiesta Bowl rolled around, he hadn't taken a snap in a game in 7 weeks! Shouldn't have started in all honesty. That one was probably on Jimmy, who learned a tough lesson that night.

Why do you do it to yourselves?

4ACF3684-1468-412E-B107-C1C9CCD8262C.gif

Advertisement
WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
We got blown out by Bama.
It wasn't on Gino.

There's only 1 way to lose a game when you out-yardage a team 445-162, have 22 first downs to their 8, and hold them to about 2.5 yp play.

Gino gets a pass for that game because the loss was not his fault. The team played like doo doo. Moreover, Gino led the team to a national title the previous season so how much could you really get on the guy for the Bama loss.

Vinnie on the other hand threw 3 picks in the Sugar Bowl loss to Tennessee and 4 picks in the loss to Ped State. The Fiesta Bowl loss was 100% Vinnie's fault.

Advertisement

In both games we were heavy favorites

Gino's OL was Horrible...as was Erickson's game plan, which played directly into Bama's hands...our OL recruiting during Erickson's tenure was absolutely trash...as was QB recruiting following Torretta....Not to mention players out till 4am the day of game.

Gino gets a pass for that game because the loss was not his fault. The team played like doo doo. Moreover, Gino led the team to a national title the previous season so how much could you really get on the guy for the Bama loss.

Vinnie on the other hand threw 3 picks in the Sugar Bowl loss to Tennessee and 4 picks in the loss to Ped State. The Fiesta Bowl loss was 100% Vinnie's fault.
I disagree to a degree...JJ was at fault for not running the ball more, and listening to Testeverde...Vinnie was 100x the QB that Torretta was....but he needed to keep his mouth shut insisting to JJ to keep throwing the FB....

Advertisement
Gino's OL was Horrible...as was Erickson's game plan, which played directly into Bama's hands...our OL recruiting during Erickson's tenure was absolutely trash...as was QB recruiting following Torretta....Not to mention players out till 4am the day of game.
This exactly correct. Bama kept pressure on the O line all night with 8 men in the box.

I think we'll see the same strategy in September.

5 INT’s in a national championship game that finishes 14-10 is just inexcusable. There’s no way to sugar coat it it, and to other peoples point the 86 team was a better team.

Advertisement
Back